Question The editor~

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by akki, Jun 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yo~

This question came to me while I was reading Battle Frenzy earlier so I thought I’d ask you my fellow readers. Dunno if there is a similar thread so if there is oh well~

You find you’ve suddenly been given the power to change something in any novel. No matter what it is you can do it. But it’s only one thing you can change and only in one novel.

For me I’ve recently been reading novels by Skeleton Wizard and I’ve been annoyed by how he’s making the mc’s have that female friend who loves the mc but is destined to always remain a friend. I was gna choose that but like I said I’m currently reading Battle Frenzy and I’ve found something that’s annoying me more. In novels you usually see the mc has that best friend who always sticks with the mc. I don’t mind them much but in BF the character Ma Dong annoys me so much.

He says he wants to make the club big but he does fuck all for the club personally. He’s just using the name of others to attract people. He says he likes that girl but when her cousin is there he’s staring at her chest like a creep. Maybe his character improves and he does something big later on but right now I can’t stand him. So I would use my power of one change to just kill him. I’ll make it an embarrassing death like he dies on the toilet from diarrhoea.

So if you were given the power of the editor, what will you change? You only get one change so choose wisely~

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    ChickenBakuba likes this.
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Issth. I dunt want that ice jade sculpture. She literally had no character development.

Seraphic, Soren59, Varno and 3 others like this.
  3. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    the writer and the system. not reading the novel you're talking about, but just joining for the fun

4. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    You don’t have to be reading the novel. Pick any novel you’ve read and one thing you would change in it.

5. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest problems with novels stem from lazy or flawed writing and can't be easily targeted for a one-time simple change like that. ... and they definitely aren't limited to any particular novel. Rather, the same crap occurs in dozens of novels like it's some kind of tradition. Blegh.

Kuro_0ni, Soren59, akki and 2 others like this.
  6. Devil of Boredom

Devil of Boredom Exists.

Reading List:
    Link
    Who exactly.......... I don't remember
    And me take any novel for example BTTH and remove crap that says stuff like this :-
    The opponent had the power to move mountains and seas but couldn't defeat the MC....
    The MC is special he had Some heavenly stuff *cough* armor plot *cough* and thus came out winning.........
    And this crap comes along no matter the cultivation level.... It's just elaborated more in higher levels

7. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Change the hiatus of some novels to ongoing~ ^^

8. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    delete the words "trash" and "jade like"

Novela likes this.
  9. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I know there’s a common reoccurrence in novels that we don’t like. But if I asked which one of those you’d change a few answers would probably cover a majority of novels out there. Which I think would be boring. I was hoping for some direct answers that people may give from a novel they’re reading at the moment. Or something they’ve always hated from a particular novel.
    Not what I was asking for~
    Again not what I was asking for~

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  10. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd take away how things repeat in cultivation novels just to make the mc cooler or stronger... when it doesn't really work as he just gets stronger enemies and moves on....

11. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    But there are so many things I would want to do, I got lost...
    Much easier to answer something different though >.<

I guess I would stop the cringy relegion part from Castle of Black Iron...
    At least Gravity knew what it was doing when they threw that novel... I mean, the timing!

As it was from only from QI available after that, I had to stop reading it, but I would have dropped it regardless...
    Some parts do ruin a story, the more you know ^^

12. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For many Chinese novels: Stop pulling the, "But there is a higher world/stronger place out there and the MC will go," card out of your ass. Seriously, while you sort of feel that the novel isn't going to end anytime soon, when some sort of closure gets, well, close the author comes and shits all over your face while saying, "Thought it was going to end? HA! You fool! This shit post- I mean, this masterpiece will never end."

In other words, write a novel that has a fucking purpose. Don't write out of your ass just because you want money. It's a waste of your time and ours, plus you are giving so little value, it's not worth it. Some novels might have parts that are really good and they could even teach you something, but is that "lesson" worth going through 2000 chapters of pure shit? Seriosuly, I'm reading The Dark King and I love the novel, but I'm tired that the novel is going nowhere. And it's also really annoying when the novel drags on for eternity and the author suddenly rushes to the ending leaving you with bad taste in your mouth, because the author shat so much on you... it's like the author said, "Man... I'm tired of doing this shit... meh, let's pull some more crap out of my butt and give it to the readers... they will probably not complain too much."

13. akki

Reading List:
    Link
    See this bit here~
    Much better~ I dropped that novel before the bit you’re talking about I think.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  14. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    See, I love the buildup stage in novels. Not only becuase of the underdog feeling, also because that's the stage where the MC will not ram through everything on raw power. At those stages the plot has more body. I do get that this often invalidates the previous achievements, but there are some novels that are able to handily avoid that. TTNH is an example: his achievements in the lower two realms will be relevant through among other things his buddies.

Whatever, wuxia does better on plot and on consistency, actually on all fronts. Do you read Nightfall?

15. Novela

Novela Immortal Sheep

Reading List:
    Link
    Too many novwls though... each novel has a flaw in my eyes :3

16. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about JP or KR but I think a big part of the problem in CN novels is the system. The more characters you write the more money you get, and the more often you release chapters the more people will see and click on your novel. This promotes the type of lazy filler and rinse-and-repeat milking prevalent in novels like MGA.

The author can make money by churning out filler-packed recycled garbage so they don't spend as much time and effort on quality writing with well thought-out plot.

17. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The buildup is good and TTNH is fine, because from the get go we know that there are 9 heavens and three "planes." What bothers me is when the author never said anything about the rest of the world and then you find out, the MC is in a small island, near a small country, allied with a declining empire in a low level planet in a galaxy of losers in the universe 1 out of a gazillion universes... maybe not that extreme, but it's annoying when you always get more stuff that seems to come out of nowhere. I don't want a never ending story. I want a story I can sort of feel it has some sort of direction and should probably already have an ending in place.

At first I didn't know you where refering to Jiang Ye (that was the name it had when I began reading it) and I read some of it, but only got until chapter 50-56. Then the translation pace dropped a lot and stopped at chapter 75 or so and then I never picked up again. Why?

18. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobrofl::blobrofl: I'd make the main character in Chinese novels even more overpowered of a piece of shite.

19. WinByDying

WinByDying I can count to four

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I gave a possible reason to like such new starts. That aside, I still agree with you. It's a trope that doesn't do justice to the stories it is used in.

For quite some time now Nightfall has had a stable release rate of two a day, it doesn't have the multiple realm shtick as far as I know and it's pretty unique. I thought I'd recommend it, but who knew you already read part of it. It's past chapter 200 now, two a day makes for fast progression.

20. BoredDreamer

BoredDreamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, one chance seems too little. I will say about the one just came to my mind right now.
    -Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World
    pros
    -The world setting is somewhat likeable.

cons
    -The personality of the MC is total wimp. (totally frustrating)
    -He can use many class yet he can't win against the same level of monsters by himself. (should be totally ridiculous, at least doesn't make sense, he also have an awesome weapon that others can't compare to)

let's not get to too much details.

akki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.