Discussion The Empyrean Overlord Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Parth37955, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.reddit.com/r/noveltrans...mpyrean_overlord_is_not_an_actual_translated/
    Fufu, this is interesting. What do you think?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Azusky

Azusky Gazing At Moonlight | 50 Shades of Blue

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not even mad that's genius.

3. Wayang Emperor The First

Wayang Emperor The First 《The First Loli》《Cute Little Kid♡》

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't open the link because regional problem, but really? Wow that new..

4. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I saw that.

I'm a little amused by the drama, but my thoughts are, if the allegations turn out to be true: I don't like being lied to.

I want to see how the translator (or "translator") responds.

Here's the post for those who can't access reddit:
    I found it a curious work and wanted to do some research to see what else the author wrote. Unfortunately, I no longer believe the author, "Ageless Heart", exists at all, unless we are going to start calling the so called translator "Ageless Heart."

Here is what I found.

First, let's look at the title picture the "translator" uses for this work.

This image here

Well, it's very nicely put and certainly looks authentic. Characters are spot on, I could see this being the front image for a book.

Oh, wait? What's this?

Here's that same image.

This time, however, it's in its original format, a front piece for a Vietnamese Work known as Perfect Mask.

Edit: This work stole the image too, it was originally a normal painting in China, or something. The whole image stealing thing doesn't really matter, it is just what piqued my interest in whether or not this work was actually real.

Okay, so the translator stole an image to use as the title image. While that's a bit weird, the translator did say the author didn't post the work online, so I guess he had to create his own title image. Maybe the original didn't have a title image on it, this proves nothing.

So let's look at what I researched next.

Who is Ageless Heart?

What other books has he published or works has he written?

The answer: Nothing.

There is no information on the author Ageless Heart, a friend of mine on the Discord server that is an actual translator found nothing while searching in Chinese, it's as if this author doesn't exist. He's published nothing under the name, no online works, is unknown.

Okay....

That's a bit weird, but maybe if we delve into the novel itself, things will become clear.

There are no records of the novel The Empyrean Overlord that I can find. Absolutely nothing. It is as if the novel did not exist before this Wordpress.

Alright...

So there is no online trace of the author, Ageless Heart, and there is no online trace of the novel, The Empyrean Overlord.

You only find gaming websites when you search for things related to The Empyrean Overlord. No novel, no book review, nothing.

The light novels I translate are mostly original works written by freelance Chinese writers. I guess they can be considered semi-professional writers, but their work is decent. At least, I found them quite interesting, so I wish to share them with others.

Despite this novel being written by a semi-professional writer, there are no online reviews, no discussion boards online, no novel reviews, no analysis' or summaries. Nothing. The title itself does not exist in use.

Apparently, they wrote an entire Xianhuan novel either by hand or with a typewriter.

That, or the author typed the entire novel up and printed it, but did not publish it online or publish it all in general. Because no one knows about it. Literally no one.

Oh, and he also typed it in web chapter format. How convenient for our translator.

That leaves two choices left.

Choice 1

The author of this novel, Ageless Heart, has written(in web chapter format) an entire Xianhuan work of unknown length (the "translator" has not released how long the work is), and printed out copies of this piece, but never had his work posted online, published, uploaded to the internet in any way/shape/form, been reviewed, or had anyone speak about it.

This work is so unknown, that the only person that has access to the internet that has seen the work, thankfully, is our "translator," who no doubt must live in China and have stumbled miraculously upon this work through word of mouth, seeing as the novel does not exist online in any format.

The translator has not posted any pictures of the work, has not posted the original writing in Chinese, and has not responded to emails asking for proof that the raws exist at all. He didn't even post where he got the raws from.

Choice 2

The "translator" is the author and is writing it himself. He has some background in Chinese and makes use of this in his work.

He is impersonating being a translator to instead publish his own work.

Why?

Well, I would have to venture he is doing it for two reasons:

1 - To make $$$. Sponsored chapters are a big thing, and a solid way for translators to create some quick personal income. Do you know how many chapters The Empyrean Overlord posts regularly? One-two a week according to his schedule. All else require $50 per release, and he has been receiving quite a lot of money for this.

2 - This ties in with reason 1, but Chinese novels are very popular on this subreddit. People would much rather read a Chinese translated work then an English work. Translating is an intense job, and it is a possibility that the "translator" only has a basic knowledge of Chinese terminology, and is writing his own work because he cannot in fact translate. By impersonating a Chinese novel, he can gain quick popularity and a large amount of money quickly.

Final takeaway.

I don't dislike the work, or the author.

I just don't enjoy being lied to, that's all.

If the "translator" can post any type of proof, I would concede that I am wrong.

Till then, I would like to request that the novel not be tagged with a [CN] tag, but instead a [EN] tag.

UnknownSaint171 and Rreelentless like this.
  5. jtthwe

jtthwe Adept of Living Life to its Fullest

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be funny as heck if he were doing that
    Original work is not selling pretend to be chinese

6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I've not read the novel but that is hilarious. can't wait to find out more about this

Sabruness likes this.
  7. MysticJazzEnforcer

MysticJazzEnforcer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I definitely think that if it is true, this story will likely lose a large percentage of its readership. It's pretty shitty in my opinion, to get people to donate for faster translation speed; particularly when they aren't even translating something. I mean, he could have simply said that it was for motivation (or something similar) to write his story, instead of coming up with an elaborate ruse like this. And it really does seem like this was all a lie, especially when, as Wiz has stated, "the "translator" has refused to provide sources for any of his posts, and does not respond to requests for sources of raws, or proof."

8. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh.Does that even matter ?

foxtailx likes this.
  9. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well the novel is kinda awesome, and really well written, so lie to me as much as you want!

Though its rather stupid if true, an original this good would have gotten a lot of readers soon anyway, just not from NU, though from NUF and word of mouth would do wonders!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    sidtz, k1nk4 and PoshMafia like this.
  10. Nydestroyer

Nydestroyer Special Name.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha, someone finally pulled the scam I suggested in the RRL chat a few months back.... Although this one involved someone who knew both japanese and english and having them write the story in japanese then "translate" it into english via just you know rewriting your idea in english XD

Pluriscient likes this.
  11. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    I checked the prologue and I'm fairly sure it is not a chinese story. If you read it the choices of words and the stylistic choices are really clean English style which even the best translators can't do when translating due to language difference. I think it's kinda sad if true, but once you get this big schemes and scams will become more common.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
  12. Elion

Elion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From translator's site:
    Do you even read ?

Did they even bother reading that part ?
    I feel bad for the person who did it .

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2016
    Prometheus, Shance and Blitz like this.
  13. atheistboi

atheistboi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i dont mind at all..

iloveit!

14. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    It is very likely just a excuse that is the whole problem with this oredeal as the writer is posing as a chinese translator but it is not confirmed yet.

15. atheistboi

atheistboi New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dont mind at all..

just keep the chapters flowin..
    youre doing a great job...

16. jtthwe

jtthwe Adept of Living Life to its Fullest

Reading List:
    Link
    We have no proof to support this theory though even if the image is popular in china doesn't couldn't the translator or someone just put it up because it looks cool

maybe from the deepweb

17. Cien

Cien 『Omnivore Reader』Inactive

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty smart. I don't think original authors gets much donations compared to translators.

18. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    We also don't have any raws and the story doesn't sound chinese so I would put it as 80% English original and 20% translation bur nothing is confirmed yet.

19. DeadlyBell

DeadlyBell Sleepy

Reading List:
    Link
    i had suspicions of what that redditer said back when i first heard them refusing to link to the 'raws' i also looked into finding the supposed raws and found nothing on the author or the name of the series, so eh if its actually not a translation and is just that "translator"(author in disguise) ill be quite annoyed

20. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, so long as the story entertains me, i dont really care much about anything else.
    Aha I binged read chapters for Empyrean last night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.