News The Empyrean Overlord Removed from NU

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tony, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because people were told they were sponsoring for 'translations' and not 'original writing'.

2. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1-2 free chaps a week is amazin, if people are greedy for more and donate for it then great. I'm greedy for more chaps and if I don't have to pay for it then wonderful. NU removed the story cause it didn't satisfy the site rules, that's fine, but all the bashin of this story for hypocitical reasons is really ridiculous.

jlkawaii likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Right, but I've noticed that there is (apparently) this attitude that if an author put up a call and said, I'll release three chapters a week but if you pay me 80$ a chapter I'll release three extra, most people here would laugh in his face; contrary wise for the translators who produce no original content, this seems like a fair price.

jlkawaii and Arcturus like this.
  4. Junky

Junky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Firstly, that means nothing to NU, which has specific criteria that either needs to be enforced or changed. Secondly, lying to your readers is not the right way to earn money from them (important, considering he only scheduled one unsponsored chapter per week).

Not really. You have to note that the novels translators choose are either from reputed authors or ones that have several hundred chapters already published. They also can be expected to continue or be finished since the authors at the top of qidian or whatever paywalled site earn big money. On the other hand, English webnovels is a nonexistent industry, and Royal Road gives a clear example of how many original novels are abandoned, put on hiatus, updated irregularly, etc. Translators are essentially curating novels for us to read. Additionally, if a translator gives up a project (this has happened already many times), someone else can pick it up. This cannot be done for an original novel. I think TEO is great but a lying author almost entirely dependent on donations is not a great endorsement or guarantee of continuance till the end... which is why lying to potential donors is much worse (ethically not legally).

5. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    And the majority of translated novels are still below passable in quality. And the best English webnovels are far better than anything I've seen translated as of yet. So, basically you like paying for garbage simply because chinese readers kinda like the garbage as opposed to the unknown that might not actually be garbage at all. Alas human nature.

The Great Me likes this.
  6. Amphidsf

Amphidsf Realm Razor

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally the aspects of curation and a consistent backlog, often quite large, to work from are the key aspects of a translator's desirability. However some of the other points you raised are some I didn't think of.

Junky likes this.
  7. Junky

Junky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Great job attacking a straw man! /slowclap

Alas, human nature.

To the point, I never mentioned anything about liking Chinese novels better than English ones. I did say they have some guarantee to continue, which English novels do not, because they are in demand and earn money (more than the translators do by orders of magnitude). Also, you cannot predict an English webnovel (so what if the best ones are great) but you can predict the Chinese ones because... the translators have read or know about it beforehand. They have no need to shill for an author.

8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A) loli no manko is an example of "curated" content.

B)Drew Hayes and other author do publish webnovels, but there is no real English aggregation site for them atm.

C)if we aggregated those english sites and paid the authors like we do translators I bet you'd start seeing more quality and more complete works once people started voting with money

9. Junky

Junky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A) Yeah, sure it is, for those who like that kind of thing. No one mentioned a specific genre in the curation. PWP is fine for those who want it. You'll notice that Machine Sliced Bread is continuously choosing new novels and updating regularly... because he has a large reader base.

2) Are you agreeing with me?

3) Then do it! Good luck on your entrepreneurial efforts. However, as of now, that is just a hypothesis.

10. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Why isn't there a site like this?

11. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    And he removed the 2nd one as well.

12. AmanoMai

AmanoMai Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well this is my reply to you

you seems to be displeased because the translator(actually an author)'s reputation was damaged by NU explanation on the reason why they removed it?
    surely, there are more delicate way to handle things.
    But it's not their job to cover up and support his reputation because he is responsible for his own actions.

That said, I understand your stand on this, as the announcement have negative effect on the novel and the author's image. It's like putting someone face on the newspaper as a bad example. While it's not the nicest way to deal with this problem, you should not find fault at someone because of your own mistakes. Or because they're not "nice enough"
    Nobody is responsible for you but yourself. At least that's my stand.

(alas, rather than scrutinizing, I'd give the author a round of applause really, nice marketing strategy. I don't hate people who plays dirty to achieve their desired results. Could've played that a bit better though, getting a chinese speaker to fake a believable raw for example)

13. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I was mostly addressing the "curated content" comment, though I guess if you meant simply that the novels would be completed by "curated," I guess I interpreted your meaning differently. TLers obviously will pick stuff they like and so it will (hopefully) cater to some audience. I just commented on the fact that most authors of WN/CN/LN (or at least the ones being commonly translated) are rather poor in quality as a general rule, especially when compared to authors who actively run their own websites for their original content (who I find to be mostly quite good as opposed to those on say Wattpad or RRL), which questions just how effective your "curation" is (On that note, popularity doesn't necessarily mean goodness. They're basically frogs in a well, or people who have only seen the shadows of real objects in a cave.) But I digress.

You say there is some sort of guarantee of quality (or quantity at least) implicit in a translation. I disagree with the idea of implicit quality and don't particularly care about quantity (I'd rather read half of a novel that's good and never know the end, then read the entirety of mediocrity), but many disagree with me, hence why English Original Content will always get the short end of the stick, until something changes. As it is, I'd rather pay an author over a TLer from both an ethical and a qualitative perspective.

jlkawaii likes this.
  14. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    This escalate fast...

In @Tony 's defense, I think this might be a lesson for all original writer and "translator" out there, DON'T LIE TO READER!
    This is the first ever case like this ever happen that I know, so off course it will get big. Some maybe think this is heavy handed, but truthfully, we have no precedent case of an original writer pretending to be a translator in web novel circle.
    No matter and whatever the reason behind the lies, rules are rules. If it not a translation of an Asian webnovel then it can't be posted here as an Asian webnovel, but as English language webnovel.

Also maybe people already forget the nature of FAN TRANSLATION due to the monetizing tendency of webnovel translation...
    FAN TRANSLATION is basically this:
    1. FAN A (YukkuriOniisan) visit syosetsu to check for new RAWs for his Novel (t40 blabla), he checked the site news to see if a new LN of this Novel is in publication
    2. FAN A spotted a funny synopsis (10 Year HikiNEET) in a sidetab and clicked it... FAN A read several chapters and see the premise is funny (MC's Dog is more OP, MC is a bumbling fool, transported together with the House, BBS sections)
    3. FAN A think this is good, and FAN A think, English speaking world should read it!
    4. FAN A translated the chapters and put it into his blog. FAN A translated it every time he had spare time.
    So basically, Translator translate something they find interesting... That's why I translate mainly SoL novels... I like it and I translate so people like me that like SoL but can't read Japanese could read it... I didn't care about ratings, most of the novel I translated hardly an AAA type novel

Alixiron, asriu and gill like this.
  15. Junky

Junky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, I admit I was too harsh in my reply as well. Nevertheless, I was actually looking at this from the point of the view of a donor (who are the only ones who might actually lose something as they are donating to a liar). You only donate when you like something. For translated novels, that thing that you like is guaranteed to continue. For original novels, it is not. It's that simple. As you said you would, you could donate to an original story-writing author as well, but you know what you are doing and the risks involved in this case. Those who donated to TEO's author, however, were stripped of that choice because they were lied to. Again, it's that simple.

Arcturus likes this.
  16. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    from what i read his friend is chinese and he sends his scripts to him and he translate them to english, its seems that the chinese friend dosnt want to publish his work in the chinese universe for whatever reason XD

17. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough. I guess that makes sense. Especially with how many donated chapters he appears to have released. From that perspective you lose a lot if he ever decides to stop writing for any reason.

Junky likes this.
  18. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    The majority of this entire thread is discussing about the existence of that 'friend'. See first post.

Alixiron and remy911 like this.
  19. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>...

Tony and remy911 like this.
  20. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He won't read it. He's been told that before back on page 5.

Alixiron and Arcturus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.