News The Empyrean Overlord Removed from NU

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tony, Apr 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone just opened tab 10 and see the title without reading the whole 180 replies....

2. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He's been told to read the first post before.

3. Junky

Junky Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By the same person...

remy911 likes this.
  4. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... Cognitive dissonance, selective reading, cherry picking, quote mining........ No wonder conspiracy topics and scammer still a lot in the world... No one bothered reading and checking things anymore......

Alixiron likes this.
  5. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is, this matter only concerns the readers, those who have donated, those who have guidelines not followed (namely this site and reddit), and the guy.

What I find ridiculous about this debacle is people who have never read or have never even heard the novel before this is pitching in just to herd with the people who brought it up.

so more than anything, and because of that, I just found this drama ridiculous as heck.

Shio, The Darkness and Parth37955 like this.
  6. Amphidsf

Amphidsf Realm Razor

Reading List:
    Link
    One of the major issues here is trust, or more specifically the breaking of it. Just last week for April Fools day I had a tirade about how in translating trust between the translator and the reader is very important. The reader just has to trust that the translator is accurately translating the author as most of the time they cannot read the original language.

Now this is a slightly different case because this "translator" did techically translate the authors message at an 100% rate, much more than every other translator in history, trust is still an important issue between readers and translators. Trust of continuation and trust fair representation being major parts.

sumguy and Junky like this.
  7. sumguy

sumguy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's just... a certain way chinese flows, even when it's in slang, there's a flow to them (okay... especially in slang). The raw provided in this case doesn't have that flow. And words with nuanced connotation get used in the wrong way, so yeah, I cast my doubt on that 'friend'. Look, I'm in a similar situation with a project, the guy's chinese is a little whack since it's like cantonese mixed with some regional shit that I'm not too familiar with, combine with some normal chinese. His shit is hilarious (when the slangs comes out), but his chinese is pretty bad (born oversea, so I don't blame him), even then, the flow is consistent, even the slang he uses, I can see it used in daily life. The horrible puns makes a certain sense even when they are used in a wrong way.

I can maybe bribe my nephew to write a short story and see how his structure looks like (chinese as his third language, cause born here in canada, he has to learn english, then french, chinese writing didn't start until he attend the once a week chinese classes), but I'd highly doubt it would end up... looking like that.

Alixiron and Yukkuri Oniisan like this.
  8. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I see that the discussion revolves around the 'lying' part, but, what should he/she do ?

9. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    What can the author do any more she was exposed for lying. When the first post came up I checked the English writing out, guess what I can already see the language used is too English for it to be an Asian living in Asia coupled with the fact we can't get the raws it's quite likely to not be a translation. It further confirmed this when author released a poor attempt at faking Chinese raws, at that point there is no one who can say the author didn't lie if they are being honest.

What the author decides to do next has nothing to do with NU but maybe this will become a RRL story or go on pages like gravity(doubt it at this point lies are problematic) and as a last option do their own thing with a site and patreon or something similar. For now it looks like the internet might have killed the author temporarily at least as pissed of internet users end in death treats, hate comments, and internet stalking.

10. gill

gill Kairoaddict Disease Acquired

Reading List:
    Link
    s/he just can do whatever s/he want, continue living , continue making/translate novel
    the only thing different from before just that his novel Empryan Overlord cant be putted here, maybe s/he can upload them at some original work site but doing that is the same as admitting that his/her work is Original work not translated one so i doubtit
    but one thing i believe that this whole sh*t wont affect the author much in his/her life

11. CDLevit

Reading List:
    Link
    Then, why can I see the same reply again and again in this topic?

Tony saied his point, but, after that, it devolved into a discussion. And the main point of that discussion was about the lies of the saied translator/writer.

I'm not sure about that.

12. _Selutu_

_Selutu_ 灭世魔尊

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. If someone bothers to dig up his identity and stuff, then it'll affect his life. Otherwise, it probably won't affect his RL all that much.

13. Nordic

Nordic The Lazy Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    Because this is a forum not NU mod board so just because Tony releases a statement doesn't necessarily mean everyone agrees or want to ignore it. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking but this place is meant for discussion even though it tends to slightly derail at times. Discussion about why this situation came about is good for the future of the site as it helps with these situations and it's not like we are slandering the author here which was happening on reddit. If you rephrase the question in a clearer way maybe I can answer better if my answer was inadequate.

I don't think discussing it is bad so I don't see why people can't discuss just because the topic of the post is a statement. Often you have news articles and you discuss their content below which is pretty much what we are doing here.

14. CDLevit

Reading List:
    Link
    Tony's post, to me looks more like an official statemont of the 'owner/administrator' (?) of this site. He defined, applied and justified his actions, clearing the confusion where it was necessary.

More than that what can I say? there's already a topic on that problem - about lying and so on, but I can't see something that was't repeatead again and again. The main 'feelings'/tought about that that fraud (?) were posted but, I want to see something more constructive. Anyway, there's a language barrier for me so, I'll stop here.

Parth37955, Arcturus and Rreelentless like this.
  15. Shuchou

Shuchou Simplicity is the easiest path to true beauty.

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt people will stop reading this. First of all , its good. Second, who cares if its a lie. Donations are willingly he/she doesn't force us to donate. We force him/her to translate in fact. The fact that its an original makes the possibility of being drop to go up. So maybe if in chance people are dropping this novel , well I think their only reason is that: If its an original then like in royalroadl then when the author drops it then its drop. Not like in official novel where the translator dropped a novel then there's a possibility that other will translate it. For short. In an original novel, the novel is in the author's hand. If its drop then its drop. And for the Official novels, the novel is in the translator's hand. If its dropped then just pick it again.

16. The Great Me

The Great Me Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure what translations you're reading, but the translations I read vary markedly. Some translations are quite readable. Some translations make the general run of English originals a pleasure to read. Like the English originals, they ALL have typo's. Most have instances of strange sentence structure that looks like an attempt to Americanize Chinese or Japanese sentence structure.

Even the best of the translators have no clue how to properly conjugate the majority of irregular verbs I see used and seem to be completely unaware that they verbs they are incorrectly conjugating are irregular. With the probable exception of Coiling Dragon, I can't think of a single translation that did not have instances of flat out misusing the vocabulary of the English language or making up words that are not real derivatives of English words, unless their primary language is Ebonics and not English.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
    Arcturus likes this.
  17. gill

gill Kairoaddict Disease Acquired

Reading List:
    Link
    Mostly the problem of original novel is that, its doesnt have guarantee that the author will definetely finish the novel. Just look at RRL, japtem, etc. I dont think it's very wise for NU to advertise some unfinished product, so right now NU only accept translated Novel because they have raws already, they know that the novel will have end someway or another

18. The Great Me

Reading List:
    Link
    Considerable less than half of Russia is in Europe, and it is still the largest country in Europe.

19. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe its just me, but.. since the news spread out, the donation bar for TEO have been stuck at 5$.. and he have raised the donation chapter from 25$ to 40$... looks like losing an NU membership hurts more than it should.. gluck to the donators though.. cause 1 free chappie per week wont let you see a closure for sure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  20. The Great Me

Reading List:
    Link
    Those sites are not for serious indie publishing. They are hobbyist sites for hobbyist authors, run by hobbyist admins. There is no support structure for turning writing into a paying endeavor as with 17K or Qidian(sp?). At least on RRL, most of the authors looking to win a popularity contest so they can stroke their epeens. Many of them lose interest. Others rage quit in whining, crying huff when people call them out crappy plots, grammar so bad as to be near unintelligible, borderline plagiarism of the level of flat out copying scene after scene from translated or published works, or moronic levels of Mary Sue wish pandering that destroys what was looking to be an interesting story.

Until there is a site that mirriors 17K or Qidian in functionality and an actual professional level of administration, you are not likely to find much better completion rates in English web novels.

Arcturus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.