Movie The Expendables

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Jojo775, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I've decided to watch the first movie and knew what I was getting into. Pure action.
    Though I am wondering wouldn't it be better if Stallone had more help with directing and the script?
    The movie is basically very cheap plot + action + banter + nostalgic macho 80's(more or less) actors, it's still okay but could be better.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    Wujigege likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, good movies do not make money.
    I am quite disillusioned with Hollywood too. Last saw the 2015 Thor movie in the theaters.
    Stories like 500 Days of Summer that I got a refresher thanks to Alex Meyers make me wish for movies like Spiderman with Tobey Maguire that had both heart and action. And no Avengers isn't a good movie. Just a perfect marketing gimmick. Same with all the recent summer hero flicks. After watching a few including Amazing Spiderman in the theater, I got tired of them.
    Lots of behind the scenes drama with the egos of Bruce Willis and others clashing

Anra7777 likes this.
  3. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember being really excited for The Expendables because Jet Li was in it.

Cue a lot of disappointment when Jet Li had very few scenes, and the entire movie was Stallone on a power trip and trying to be badass :facepalm:

(I did like Terry Crews's role though.)

4. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I remember much of Spiderman 2 and 3 but the actor was good. New actor is also good, as for the avengers, they are a shallow entertainment. They've thrown hundreds of millions of dollars to make it fun, but temporary. The movie won't stay with you, though the Endgame part 2 has a lot of feels, it's mostly just the death of self sacrificing good guys.
    I feel for you watching Amazing Spiderman, I somehow didn't know it existed until yesterday and after seeing the trailer and reviews I won't be watching it.
    You can always watch a movie like Cleaner (2007), Hollywood has a bunch of movies like that which are interesting but barely draw any attention unlike Marvel and the like. A drama/thriller with a famous and excellent actor is bound to be good, even if it doesn't appear exciting as something with lasers.
    Or you could rewatch a good movie, I just thought of Forrest Gump, next on my plan to watch.

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The movie was paying homage to old 80s action movies since we don't have those types of films anymore.

Sabruness likes this.
  6. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, that video on 500 days was much more positive than Honest Trailers or some other film critic’s critique I remember watching. I haven’t seen the film myself, so I can’t judge it.

Have you tried going back and watching old movies? There are some really amazing movies that a lot of modern audiences probably poo-poo simply because they’re in black and white. One of my favorite movies is “Witness for the Prosecution.”

Wujigege likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I decided to switch to Asian dramas. I don't have to wait 5 years for couples to kiss too like Castle lol or Bones.
    Three months at most and they are done

[​IMG]

8. Jojo775

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but they could've put more effort in the script, most of it does not make sense. At least 80's and 90's B action movies had some basic plot, this was one was forced and nonsensical. A biker comes to a street basketball game, their first reaction is: if he comes we're gonna bust his ass.... why? Stallone on his power trip goes to save a girl he does not like and risk the life of himself and his friends for it. In the end he does not even kiss her. Where did he get the idea to go, he got it in a weak justification when he talked to a friend who in a forced story instead of giving advice or just talking, he pracitcally made him go save her to save his soul like lol. It's not even the same situation with the suicide woman. I mean you just can't let a B movie action actor write his own film coz at best you get a B- film. The only saving grace are nostalgic macho actors and a few jokes and cool scenes.

9. Kingloli229

Kingloli229 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was probably like that because it was going to be released in theaters only strait to DVD but was changed. Most people wouldn't care about the story anyway as long as the film was fun to watch. Also you do know that they were a mercenary group an was sent on a job. That alone is good enough for a film like this.

10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll just say the obvious: tastes vary. Also, good is a very subjective term as well. By how do you define and measure what makes a good movie?

I quite enjoyed the Expendables series as a great simple action fest. You dont need some highbrow plot to be a good movie.

Also, the movie business (just like a lot of industries) is about money making. The more sell-able a film is, the more likely big studios'll commit. Plus arguably, the big earning movies might allow a studio to make one or two movies that perhaps wouldnt sell as well but might be of a subjectively higher quality.

Of course, all this is just opinion and theory.

11. franta_cecek

franta_cecek Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Expendables is not a movie for plot no it's a movie for the action junkie. So long as I an action Junkie can get somewhat invested behind the characters it's good enough then on top of that there has to be lots of "action" scenes which there are! So it's all good that is the kind of viewer expendables is made for. Similarly Michael Bay makes such movies but he has started failing at the first part.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I rather watch this :blobnosebleed:
    https://www.viki.com/tv/36743c-i-bought-my-boyfriend-on-a-loan?locale=en
    Tae Ukishima (Erina Mano) works at the front desk for a company. Her dream is to marry a competent man and live as a housewife. Her boyfriend is Shunpei Shiraishi and he works at the same company. They have dated for the past year. To marry him, Tae Ukishima pretends to act like a naive and shy person in front of him. Her real personality though is to speak frankly and making sharp remarks.

Tae Ukishima wants to relieve her stress and she decides to purchase Jun Setsuna (Ryusei Yokohama) as her boyfriend. To pay off his debt, Jun Setsuna becomes an obedient boyfriend to Tae Ukishima.
    [​IMG]

14. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like romance. Hence trash.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It is not romance.
    It can be an allegory for anything you want but it certainly was an interesting look at male and female power dynamics.
    Just as you like fun action pieces
    This was a fun psychological piece for me

16. TiggerBane

Reading List:
    Link
    *Goes off to look at the tags on the website*
    *Sees it is Japanese, Romance and Comedy*
    *Comes back to laugh at Wujigege*

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched it from start to finish.
    The men were treated like animals.
    Such sadistic stories are attractive.
    Two faced female characters are also enjoyable to watch.
    A yankee lady that curses who pretends to be an angel in public.
    It's okay either way, I was just pointing out what I prefer watching.