Discussion The Feeling of the Side Characters ( Gu Master Spoil )

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by GDLiZy, May 9, 2019.

?

What are you?

1. Me MC, me good luck.

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. How could that guy get so much treasures?!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Junior, you dare?!

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Don't you know whose family I came from?!

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading Reverend Insanity and got to the climax of the True Yang Building Arc.

Then, as everyone else said, the motherfucker Ma Hong Yun showed his supreme power of luck, making enemies with almost every reader in the way, left and right. He got so lucky that no one could kill him, and that make the most readers so outraged that they commented just to trash him.

"Wtf? Just die already." "MHY is so annoying. I hope MC kill him soon." "How is that even possible? Just die." etc.

You should have known it already. That sounded exactly like how a side character in generic xianxia would speak! Just changed the MHY with MC and MC with some random young masters, and watched the magic happened.

Maybe I was living in the xianxia world after all.

rakazzt likes this.
  2. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    I was realy hoping for stuff like that.
    maybe I will try reverend insanity again cause of this
    ofc if your not bulshiting

3. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    Why should I lie about something like this? :hmm:

4. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    for likes.
    :cookie:
    and cookies.

5. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MHY isn't like every other MC. He is a parody of them. He is literally stupid. He is basically stumbling over his own feets into a knife, just to have a future-immortal randomly appearing heavenly jadelike beauty save him. Again and again and again. There is no suspense for anything he does, because the character literally only exists to piss the readers off.

Even the most stupid xianxia MC is a genius compared to him. He got literally eaten by a huge wolf two realms above him and climbed out of a cut from the stomache uninjured after the battle was over without even trying to do anything. He forgets to use his own abilities (gu worms) to run away, which magically gets him plotted against and indirectly saved plus another few beneficial encounters. All that with an IQ of 75. And all of this takes screentime away from the MC. It is fillercontent that I believe the author only added to piss of the readers.

(Bad emotions are financially better than no emotions, the more people hate a character who will never die, the more emotionally invested they are with the story and keep reading it...)

6. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    I know. The fact remained that it showed how "side characters cursing MC" tropes is true. You see, we, the readers, were doing exactly that.

Hating characters because they make no sense is not good writing. Hating characters because the authors wanted you to hate them is great, showing the skill of the authors.

7. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing a character to hate is literally the most easy thing an author can do. I've always found it weird how people praise authors for making unlikeable antagonists/sidecharacters, even though it doesn't take ANY effort or skill at all. It takes effort to make a complex character who is likeable or one you can respect/understand while disliking him. 99% of the readers would hate a character the moment he rapes somebody or even hits a woman (when the author doesn't go out of his way to make you dislike her).

People say "Just die already!" because they want to read the story from the main characters PoV again. It is like you watch a movie, just to get a 20 minute ad about something you don't give a duck about. And whenever you think you can finally continue to watch the movie you get the same 20 minute ad again. And again. And again.

8. GDLiZy

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't just randomly start hating someone because of their luck. You hated them because they aren't on the same side as the MC ( Or the one you emotionally attached to ).

Authors are already good at their craft if they can make readers felt certain emotions as they wanted them to.

9. Karyehs

Reading List:
    Link
    He is disliked for being against the MC, being stupid and his plot armor is literally luck.

And it is easy to create a disliked/hated character. The moment you create a character without any good/bad traits your readers won't care about him. Now spend 2 chapters of him being stupid (not in a funny way, just being an uneducated stupid person vastly inferior in their intellectual ability to even other uneducated slaves without even noticing his own ability to have more complex thoughts than a newborn cat) and lucky, taking the limelight away from the MC with plot points (like stealing shoes and getting caught for it.... and in the end being rewarded - thanks to giving a worse excuse than a 6year old who knows that he/she screwed up would come up with - created by a reincarnated little arrogant girl who will end up as the MCs enemy anyway) that are basically filler.

The main reason for people disliking him is that they don't care about him, but are forced to read a chapter about him or potentielly missing informations which may or may not become important at some point (pro tip: they don't, but still get repeated from time to time.). Again and again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.