The Human Emperor historically

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by CodeTime, Jul 23, 2019.

1. CodeTime

CodeTime [Void Emperor of Time]

Reading List:
    Link
    So...the battle of Talas was just completed and based on the story, there was only one battle in normal history until the mc changed it when he beat the Arabs.
    I just found a video on that battle that talks about the actual history and wanted to share it

2. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you talking about the translated novel or actual stuff that might've happened?

3. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Bothish, we read the altered version (the novel) and I wanted to share a video on the historical version

4. pentadrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you summarize the difference? Did the novel project the Chinese as incarnations of Kratos and the Arabs as Neanderthals? Did the novel break free of the nationalistic hivemind and actually be accurate for a change?

Inquiring minds want to know

5. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    As its a general history video, im not sure about the details, but the chinese records and the novel match in that the battle of talas was lost by the chinese, mainly due to the betrayal of the karluks and not the strength of the arabs (both, chinese versions and arab versions show this). On thing that does not match with the novel is the *op* level of the arabs. Upon defeating the Tangs at Talas, they struggled to hold on to it and did not expand eastward. They later left Talas to deal with revolts which the novel says have been like 98% suppressed, thus another altered point

6. pentadrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Cool. If you're familiar with the novel, is it wortg reading or is it just another CHINA NUMBAH WON propaganda fan fiction

7. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a pro tang novel...but what's wrong with writers being proud of their own country and making it op in the process? lol (though the tang not that op in this novel). Also, im sure just about none of the Chinese novels are propaganda, just a sense of pride in ones country, lol

8. pentadrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, I'm totally cool with nationalistic pride, but there's often a very thin line between that and racism and being from a country that still hasn't healed from the scars of racism, it's jarring to see an author bash on entire groups of people just because of their skin color or nationality

9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, does that mean that "the Human Emperor" is actually a historical novel? That's actually pretty cool, and I'd push it up on my reading list so I'll start it up after it gets finished.

This doesn't happen all that much in proper Chinese historical novels. People who are willing to put in the effort to research historical periods are probably also willing to frame the period they're writing about in proper historical perspective. Ahistorical propaganda would make their books feel less authentic so writers will tend to stay away from it.

10. CodeTime

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, it has 1k+ chapters already and the raws are 3.5k+ and continuing, you will be waiting a long time...

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read Chinese translations, so I just have to wait for the writer to finish up. I just don't like to read works in progress because what's the point when there are a million books out there I can read from beginning to end?

12. AcasualPawn__

AcasualPawn__ Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no problem with being proud of their own country but there are many Chinese novels with heavy racism. I don't know if you are unaware of that but still it's inappropriate to turn people against other nations.