Spoiler The Lady Wants to Rest

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Gigz, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Gigz

Gigz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NU Link: https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-lady-wants-to-rest/
    Raws (Kakao) Link: https://page.kakao.com/home?seriesId=50499526

Only 2 chapters have been translated and the latest chapter was translated two months ago in early June.

It seemed like a really interesting and satisfying story about a lady who emotionally (and possibly physically) decimates those who wrong her. All the while wanting to procrastinate and lounge around her whole life.

Here is the Synopsis:

"In the distant past, I was cursed by my dealings with the world.

Over the next 1,000 years, I lived an endless life.

There isn’t a single life I haven’t experienced.

I have been the most noble and humble person in the world, I have become a beggar, I have been revered as a saint, and I have been burned as a witch.

And after my most miserable and painful life, I thought of it all again.

‘It’s all bothering me now—I’d like to take a break, please.
    I’ve decided to live a life of a lazy sloth this time, but why are people still bothering me? Let me get some rest.’

Her story of wanting to rest!"

Lemme get some spoilers yo. There's like 319 chapters according to the Kakao page and I think the series is completed.

2. Spoiler Curator

Spoiler Curator Hi , Click Edit and Edit My Posts

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Table of Contents
    Anyone is able to edit this post with an account. Please edit this post to link to spoilers in this thread as you find them. You are free to edit and remove anything within this post, including this placeholder text.

For more information, please visit: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/new-spoiler-plugin-for-the-forums.114103/

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    Sonali15 and yukihibari like this.
  3. clair17

clair17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1000000 for spoilers

Anw, I just googled with the korean title and found a blog that review this novel. I did MTL the blog god helped me understand how terrible the english translation is and only found out that the ML is most likely the 4th prince of the Western Empire who is her fiancee. But I don't know anything else :sushi_dead:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    Bella94, Biakushi, ryuu__ and 8 others like this.
  4. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
  5. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are some from what I remember from the top of my head:
    - she breaks ties with her father and makes her way to school
    - her father remorseful sends a knight out to drag her back home
    - knight fails
    - MC brings a maidservant with her and she earns enough money through playing music because in one of her lives she made a living off of music.
    - she now has money for safe passage and safe stay in nicer hotels that serve food
    - she makes it to the school where she is determined to gain entry as a scholarship student
    - while she is in the library she is being accosted by an annoying snobby noble girl
    - MC gives no fucks and is confused as to who she is

6. kawaii12345

kawaii12345 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    read the 1st 3 chapters and have a few corrections
    1 It's not reincarnation as much as quick transmigration. She transfers into the body of someone who has just died

2. This time she's an illegitimate?? princess very unclear here think her mother may have been a commoner and she is being raised by an evil Step Mom

3. She wants away because her family is screwed up

4. for her slacker life she considers various forms of prostitution

Maybe a little ahead of myself, but this sounds like another one from the genre of (I want X in life so let's do everything imaginable not to have X).

On the restful scale
    Princess >>> musician (pre phonograph) >>> poor scholarship student trying to support herself and her maid

Oh and keeping the royal title seems ever so much more relaxing as it allows you to slap down arrogant young misses and masters like the one mentioned here

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Lola_Neres, Miyaharqh, Mikaa and 28 others like this.
  7. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on what she is trying to get a rest from, keep in mind that being royalty has it obligations and responsibilities, plus the extremely high likelihood of being forcibly married off to someone you can not stand.
    Until you are told you need to be friends with them (or some other arrogant noble) since they families are well connected. Plus you can not ever make a mistake since the gossip circles are vicious and fast moving.

Bella94, Shey_04, haweii and 9 others like this.
  8. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    I really dislike these kinds of things on the net so i won't go back and forth. I will ask in the future, could you at least do people the courtesy of assuming they read at a minimum some of the story ?

It's real obvious you haven't

Don't know how to refute properly someone who is arguing from ignorance and pulling things out of their rear as a form of discourse

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    Cast of characters MTL so names may be a little off

Rubia de Grandia la Luxien:MC, mother was a commoner 1st princess of the duchy of Luxien. After death possessed by the spirit of Archmage Hostia

Marie: Rubia's maid, happy outgoing likes cakes. Very loyal to Rubia

Sabien Rubia's half brother heir to the duchy. Mostly indifferent to her suffering.

Hostia Orleans: 4th prince of the western empire and student council president (Oy Veh)

Hostia Fildenheim: 2 prince and "crown prince" in succession battle with his brother Orleans

Haim Corsica: Legitimate prince of the mage country teaching at the academy

Margaret Duchess of Luxen: Current wife of Rubia's father. Thorough going biatch, Vents her frustration and hatred of Rubia's mother on Rubia. Likely responsible or partially responsible for Rubia's death.

Diane: Rubia's 1 yr younger half sister. Takes after her mother.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
  10. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I have only read what was translated. In those chapters, unless there is some LASTING and PERMANENT change in the situation being a princess is a no go. because it means dealing with an abusive stepmother and no one who has the decency to stand up for her. She wakes up after her body died from sickness (not a good sign since if someone wealthy was that sick there would be attendants there 24/7, but she is alone). Her step mother barges in an immediately starts berating her, then when she talks back the step mother runs off and returns with someone who does not have the common courtesy to verify what actually happened before taking the mothers side and whitewashing the mothers actions to not be full of hate.

Being a princess means obligation and responsibilities, I used a general wording but if you are lacking enough to need me to get specific those responsibilities include dealing with the family. The status and the family go together. Maybe you do not know this but dealing with someone who hates you and will belittle you ate any opportunity is the exact opposite of relaxing, delaing with them on a daily basis, and not having a way out is even more so. Plus the married off part is not coming from me rear, it is what happened to princess in real life, They were almost always married off for political alliances and connections (marriage for love is a VERY modern concept) and a family that hates her is more likely to chose a worse husband if it benefits THEM more. Even if no noble wants her as a wife, there is always the chance of someone like a wealthy merchant who would accept her they want feel they could get some benefit from

A musician is better then a student in way, that it is earning money now, but pre-phonograph it is a lot of work and generally low paying in the long run unless you had the backing of a noble, which would be counter to her goals since that means performing to the nobles liking, and is subject to that nobles whims, so far from secure in the long run.Really if you want relaxing being a musician you need the modern set-up and to then become a star that is pretty much the only option that allows you to earn enough to stop working for the rest of your life with music. the only exception is if you truly and deeply enjoy the music and pandering to the crowd so it stops being work.

Now a poor student, but only in the short run, and normally (especially in the case of scholarships) it tends to set you up to either earn more or work less in the long run, and if she has a millennia of experience she can likely handle the studies easily so as to set her self up for an easier life after graduation.

Realistically if she has a millennia of knowledge, aiming for being a teacher or scholar is probably the most relaxing career she can get, but it would require the student path.

Except I am replying to comments you made that were pulling things from you rear out of arrogance and idiocy. It does not matter what I know about the story if you are obviously ignoring it or even misrepresenting things to further your own agenda.

Remember the value of a title is only as good as the support of the family behind it, and puts you at the command of the person in charge of that family to keep said support. The daughter everyone knows is hated will only get lip service meant to not offend the rest of the family, but offers not real protection. The best it would give is social isolation.

Simply put you were trying to argue a point that what little has been translated makes crystal clear is the exact opposite of what she should have done. so of course when someone points out that those comments are bad, using not stuff pulled form my ass, but standard examples of the problems with those arguments from history and literature, you have to jump on that to try and protect the arguments you yourself pulled from you own rear, rather then admit you are wrong.

11. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    Yawn please stop making a fool of yourself

What was so hard to understand about

"The life of a lazy sloth"

When you asked the question "depends on what kind of rest"

Now shoo Child go find someone stupid that might admire your pretentiousness

12. Gigz

Gigz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks Lazynoodles! Sounds interesting, although I'm gonna need to immerse myself back into the story to remember stuff since it's been about a year. Didn't expect the post to blow up after that amount of time. Well... it blew up with some unnecessary drama.

._.

Fortunately, it also appears that the novel is being translated again with the 3rd chapter finally having been released today. Looks like I'll finally be able to enjoy it!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2021
    IsaacaHawke likes this.
  13. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup ! I hope they won't be shut down by copyright infringement.

Gigz likes this.
  14. Julveury

Julveury Tea Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey! Novel for this is also available on Google books. Hopefully someone would be kind to read 'em and give more spoilers

drikamichiura likes this.
  15. sjmcc13

Reading List:
    Link
    Except I am not, you are the one whose comments are more foolish and like a child needing to be stroke their ego, since a mature poster doe not resort to childish insults rather then reading what the F the other person is saying.

Though I am pretty certain that you are missing a key part of being a lazy sloth.

The thing is for Adults who live in reality, and not idealized worlds where everything is over simplified, there is what you want and what you can achieve, and have to make compromises on what you want in order to achieve a best options.

What she wants, in ch 1 before meeting the family or getting full access to the bodies memories, is a lazy sloth. It is what she wants.

She then, after meeting the family, realized this is not achievable there and starts going through options, discarding bad ones from her perspective.

You were trying to argue she should have stayed a princess in that household, the problem is that is is 100% clear that said household is to toxic and abusive to be considered. No matter what show thy put on there is just to much bad blood and bad history for it to be a safe option, short of the mother AND brother, as well as every other abused being executed or permanently banished for their part in the abuse (The MC stated he could have stopped like half of it had he cared to not be an idiot and remember that people can be two faced, or treat those they do not like very differently then those they do like when not forced to for appearances).

Seriously, how many survivors of domestic abuse, who do not have Battered Wife Syndrome, would willingly go back to it if they did not have to? Not one person who values their emotional health and well being (which is a HUGE part of why she wanted to be a Lazy sloth BTW since what she is saying she wants is more then just those 3 words, in my work I am constantly dealing with short 1-2 sentence description that in reality are 1-2 pages (or more) to fully explain because language is extremely imprecise so there can be huge differences in meaning between what is literally said and what is actually meant) ever would.

That is a part of the type of rest comment I made, there is resting and not doing anything physically, but it is useless without the relaxation that goes with it to support your emotional well being. The term R&R means Rest and Relaxation for a reason, and if you are in an abusive situation, and constantly worried about the next instance of abuse, it becomes very hard to the point of becoming impossible, to get proper relaxation. Being a Lazy sloth as as you keep coming back to requires both. This should be obvious to anyone, and not need to be explained.

Her Lazy sloth goal requires both parts of R&R, just one is not going to cut it. In general being a princess would be good, except that if we go by history it was not since they were often little more then chattel to be married of for political alliances and favors, but as soon as we see the bodies family and history with that family that R&R valuation becomes a hard 0, and can not go up until drastic changes occur.

Being a musician relies on the generosity of your incomes source, it is constant work with an unstable income source which causes uncertainty hurts it on both Rest and Relaxation as a result. Without the parts of modern tech (something equivalent to post-phonograph recording) that allow someone to becomes rich and famous to a level that they can never work again it is not a long term option.

I do not know everything about the school, but even in general it has the best long term viability for both Rest and Relaxation. Between the 3 you listed it is always the path that open the best long term options in term of the ratio of workload and mental health.

If anything once you factor in her family you had the order of those the 3 options reversed.

16. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    Half a month later and it seems your triggered yet again. Sorry didn't bother to read more than the

" I'm not you are"

first sentence of your rant. Hope the venting was good for your mental health

Oh and not to put to fine a point on this, but the author and story contradict every point you raised

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    shepherdess and Sansushira like this.
  17. RaiLi

RaiLi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks like the fourth prince and the first prince has fallen in love with the MC!!:blobsmirk:

18. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    Been avoiding this thread but some of the plot developments are just too nice and it's too nice a read even as a MTL

Ch. 81
    Rubia is back at castle Luxen after having given her step mom a good face slapping, when we get the following from Rubia
    ------------------------------
    Anyway, thanks to no one bothering me, I was able to take a honey-like rest that I didn’t enjoy at the Academy.

As for how comfortable it was, I even thought of this.

‘…Why did I even go to the academy? It’s much more comfortable here.’

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  19. kawaii12345

Reading List:
    Link
    Turns out the company Rubia was borrowing money is owned by the duke. Her brother meets her and tells her they will pay 20k/ month and 100K at the end of two months.

Rubia returns to the Duchy and naturally margaret has set out to make her life miserable. She gives rubia a run down and shabbily furnished room.

She deals with the problem in a very princess like fashion by going out shopping. She finds the most expensive furniture store in the duchy buys the most expensive furniture in the store and bills it all back to the ducal household aka Margaret. Then she goes back and margaret flys into a rage over the purchases, insults her, her mother and tells her to get out, which she cheerfully does. Going to the most expensive hotel in the duchy, renting the most expensive room, and billing it back to Ducal household AKA Margaret once again.

Tell me again why becoming a poor student was such a superior option for her?

After a little bit the Duke is back in the Duchy and he goes out with Margaret to pick Rubia, feigns disinterest in returning her contract provides her accommodation and the duchess expelled her from the castle. Margaret lies casting Rubia as a willful child misinterpreting her. Rubia responds by playing back a recording of her words. The duke wants her to come she puts some emotional screws to him, then heads back.

Next up the little sister from hell shows up demanding Rubia leave the Duchy or she will see to it that her contract won't get paid ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Really just how is that going to happen? Personally i'd beat her and leave some marks just for the hell of it. Instead Rubia takes her up on a bet. The challenge is to audit the duchy finances for corruption if Rubia fails she leaves with no money doesn't come back, if she manages it Diane has to do whatever Rubia wants

Rubia says she'll do it in 3 days leaving Diane laughing thinking she's won. Just why in the world did the original want affection from this garbage family?

Anyway, 3 days go by Rubia audits thee books takes the information to the duke, deduces he was aware of some of it and is planning a purge. He pays her a garbage compliment. She notices he isn't well.

Margaret tries to weasel Diane out of the bet, Rubia plays back her words from when she
    was confident Diane would win. Rubia goes easy on Diane, doesn't demand she leave and not return, doesn't demand she come up with 140k (what losing the bet would have cost rubia), instead she demands Diane serve her as an attendant to learn some discipline

The payout turns into Rubia having her to do minor things while she is serving and Rubia helping her study for the academy entrance exam which drives Diane to distraction.

Next up the dukes birthday. Diane is at the party being the center of attention, at least until Rubia shows up fashionably late and dressed to the nines. A Grind your teeth moment for Diane. Next up the presentation of gifts to the Duke by the kids. Sabien gives him an expensive watch, Diane a rare plant (just an observation wth was going on here? at least Cinderella's dad was dead. I would have broken Margaret's bones long ago. Sometimes violence is the answer) Rubia had in the past failed at gift giving. Most likely being screwed over by Margaret and Diane. So her turn comes up and she tells the duke her gift is from the heart, goes over to the piano and plays music composed on the spot!!! expressing the original's painful life. This has the hall in tears, The duke kindly tells her to prepare a proper gift next time

Rubia leaves and spends time in bed happily lazing around like a sloth, which is how she has spent most of this arc

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Daphne03, Hathley, kakawow and 95 others like this.
  20. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Does the Duke ever apologise for being a shit father? Does he ever tell MC - I am so sorry, I loved your mother so much that I neglected you and married a bitch so that she can torture you coz that's my way of loving your mother and now I know what an asshole I was pls forgive me? Does this sort of scene ever happen?

Edit - Uh ok I am curious. Does she manage to break her engagement with the fourth prince? Does she get together with the crown prince? Or does she pat her ass, wish goodbye to all men and lead a life of glorious singlehood accompanied by beautiful boytoys?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020