LCD The Man Picked up by the Gods

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by LaDyViL, Mar 6, 2016.

1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm liking all the changes introduced to the town but it's kinda hard to imagine how it all looks. Feel a bit lost when reading bout the place

2. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    imagine the 1st town as a residential district and the second as the commerce district and the building in a European-ish design and the roads are made of bricks and have proper drainage, like that? and his man cave is inside a japanese bamboo forest

3. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wishing it has arts soon hehe...

4. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
    Rai's getting a mate~

neoshadow likes this.
  5. neoshadow

neoshadow Lurker Sect Leader

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone else get the feeling of Taoism or philosophical elements when reading this novel?

6. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Philosophical? Ummm...which part? Taoism? I'm not familiar with it....elaborate?

7. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry if someone already mention..
    for some reason i can see author seem using slime as easy plot device , like the the meme
    "they say i can be anything, thus i become ****[just think whatever that possible], to the point he already overusing 'em
    does weak creature with high potential to be OP has become mainstream?
    even Dragon Egg or Kumoko Evolution tree is still limited though the road of OP-ness is open for them

8. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if they'll transfer? If it was just about school quality, I'm sure they would, but its not like the nobles among them were going to the Imperial Academy because they wanted to.

Yeah, honestly the author should have put some kind of limit on them. At this point I'm just wondering why there's no Adamantium, Mythril or Orihalcum slimes producing mythic metals for free. I can only really see the annihilation of society if his findings become public. Not everything that a slime could be used to produce is benign after all.

Heck, even if they only produce benign things, they're still destroying the local economy by putting everyone who doesn't have slimes out of business. I wonder how many people starved because they could no longer get a job washing people's clothes and had no other marketable skills and no savings (because how could they have been making enough to have savings?)? Hundreds? Thousands? Probably at least thousands if you include all the branch stores, but the story never mentions them.

There's also all the people growing crops or raising animals to create thread, the bee keepers who make wax, the candle makers who buy that wax and therefore can't compete with his prices and basically anyone else that makes a product that he makes because they don't have effectively free resources and labor. Basically, he is the economy of this town now, and if things continue this way, he'll soon be the economy of the nation. How many jobs will be left for humans at that point?

Its like the Industrial Revolution but 20 times faster and with far fewer jobs being created at the end. What are people supposed to do to earn a living? Hunt monsters? Not everyone is cut out for that and there's no reason to think that he won't develop things with his slimes that make all but the toughest monsters pointless to fight for any reason other than thinning their numbers. It also assumes that he won't just have his slimes clear out all the weak monsters at regular intervals, which they can totally do since they're probably roughly equivalent to C class adventurers now on an individual basis. As a group, even A class probably can't compete with them any more.

Honestly, I don't know why there isn't anyone starving to death or protesting his existence because they no longer have jobs nor any way to get jobs. Even the students at his training facility can easily be replaced by slimes after all (acid slimes = carpenters for instance). There's no guarantee that the skills they're learning will still be relevant 3 years from now thanks to him.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  9. Crimson Nanashi

Crimson Nanashi Suu | Loves and protects Master

Reading List:
    Link
    it has already been established that it takes alot of metal for a slime to become that type of slime and i doubt the MC is going to have that much mythical metal to create those slimes. plus he would need even more to be able to feed those slimes. its all very unproductive cost wise.

already established that there wasn't a business for washing clothes and all that tried to imitate him couldn't keep up cost wise. before it was the people that owned the clothes that would wash them. plus it saves adventures money since they dont have to spend money to clean their armor with blacksmiths or buy new armor due to their corroding and being useless. plus if your only skill is washing clothes then thats a little idiotic.

i doubt that there are bees in that world other then monster bees and plus wax wasn't always made of beeswax. plus the MC has already said they dont sell their candles so the only ones using the wax from the slimes are the ones part of MC's group. plus i doubt what he is doing will affect anything past the towns he is in. also he only uses the thread in the waterproof cloths which no one ever had before.

the reason no one is protesting is because everything he does doesn't actually affect anyone else other then the people trying to copy his techniques.

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I was being more sarcastic than anything, but if he fed them the mythic metals to the point that they transformed (which he could likely do if he sacrificed his weapons and the ingots he found and/or used his mountains of money to buy a few more ingots) then he could just feed them mana and (maybe) extremely small amounts of metal and (if they worked like the fluff slime and the sticky slime and the wax slime) then they could produce infinite amounts of their specific mythic metals pretty much for free.

There were businesses for washing clothes though. If there weren't then people wouldn't have known what a laundromat was without being told. They also wouldn't have known that they generally have fairly low profits or how to attack them. But even if that weren't true, there were still tons of small businesses, made up of individuals or families, many of whom likely only knew how to make money by doing laundry because this is a medieval society where, if you're a commoner, you do what your parents did and there's no real need to learn how to do anything else. Though, even if they did know how to do other things, other people are already doing those things and, being people on the bottommost rung of society, they don't have the savings to survive while they hunt for a job in a city that (at the time) was experiencing a sever recession. He created less than a dozen jobs while destroying hundreds.

Also, you said it yourself, the adventurers used to pay blacksmiths and others to clean and maintain their gear. They don't do that now. That was likely a very important source of steady income for those shops. People need their stuff maintained far more often than they need new stuff. Many of those shops likely closed down as a result.

The reason the businesses you're talking about failed was because they tried to copy the MC, but they couldn't do it at his prices because he had an extremely fast, skilled and dedicated slave labor force that didn't need to rest, eat (if you don't count the dirt from the laundry) or get paid and would double in size as often as he'd let them. Its impossible to compete with that when you actually have to pay your workers a reasonable wage and can't use magic like its nothing.

He specifically said that they do sell the candles though. The ones they use at the school are the left overs.

Even if its not beekeepers being driven out of business, its still someone. Chandlers weren't the MC's idea. They already existed, therefore wax (or some equivalent) already existed, therefore the people that made the wax already existed, therefore they are being squeezed financially by the MC and his free wax.

He's expanding all the time. Him only effecting the local businesses is a temporary thing.

What about tents? People made tents before him, but who would buy a normal tent when they could have a waterproof one for nearly the same cost? Or even double the cost if they could afford it?

It only appears that way because the author never bothered to think things through.

11. LaDyViL

Reading List:
    Link
    Are slimes considered Ryouma's plot armor? They make a very OP plot armor.

12. little king

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll cheer for you Ryouma!
    GO DIEEE!!!

GO AT HIM GIRLS!!!
    ATTACK WITH THE INTENTION TO KILL!!!

Evertime and GonZ555 like this.
  13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone tell me how long it takes for him to start a slime farm.
    That's why I'm here after all.

Edit: I didn't know it was chapter 1

LaDyViL and Evertime like this.
  14. Evertime

Evertime Dungeonmaster Daoist

Reading List:
    Link
    Here got started right quick yep

15. little king

Reading List:
    Link
    WHAT HAPPEN TO JIGGLY PUFF~ !!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. little king

Reading List:
    Link
    Another variant of Mimic Slime?

17. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, The Chaotic, Summoner, Lone Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    ...You know what it is right? :sneaky: Don't be shy to say its.:cool:
    Mimic slimes -> copy slimes. :coffee:

18. little king

Reading List:
    Link
    I miss the slimes in action~

19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    So are the monsters sent in to fight solo? Or do they still receive some sort of support from their summoners/tamers?

20. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, The Chaotic, Summoner, Lone Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Pokémon, digimon? VRMMO osssan~?