Discussion The Strongest Gene

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by TerraEarth, Nov 20, 2017.

1. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is actually infuriating me. I'm at chapter 49 at the moment and I'm reading through the gene-enhancing gimmicks that MC is undergoing. Why does this bother me? Because there's no clear distinction between the stats available from a one-time only permanent boost and an infinitely scaleable permanent boost.

Consider the three following options to permanently enhance stats:

1) Rigorous and extensive Gene crafting practice that slowly but steadily builds up your spirit levels through hard work.

2) Consuming a gene potion (w/e it's called) that can permanently increase your stat - this type of consumable can only be used once per respective rank (F, D, E, D, etc.).

3) Killing slightly stronger mobs that you share genes with and absorbing their stats - indefinitely.

Do you guys see the problem here? Method 3 is just pure BS and invalidates 1 and 2 completely. All that hard work to increase your spirit is invalidated when all it does is limit the amount of free ride you can gain from killing mobs - that you don't even have to kill yourself!

So let's assume that MC needs to absorb wind fox genes to stat up to 100 points across all fields - i.e. agility, strength, spirit, etc. Let's assume that the strongest fox out there is maxed out at 101 stats across all fields There are two methods to go about doing this:

method 1: absorb all the wind foxes to reach 100, then take the one-time use consumables and start practicing gene crafting to benefit from perma stat increases, this will take you up to 120+ stats

method 2: consume the perma stat items and practice gene crafting to reach 20+ stats, then absorb wind foxes and max out at 100. This will take you up to 100.

Am I the only one that has an issue with this?

2. SilverJoker

SilverJoker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know for 99% of the novels on novelupdates you just gotta turn off your brain...otherwise you're just asking to be frustrated lol

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  3. Ghalad

Ghalad Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It Not Like That In The Start With The 3 Method You Can Become Stronger But Later The Monsters Will Become Strong And Even Groups Will Not Be Able To Kill Them.Considering That The 2 Method Can Only Be Used Once Per Rank It Comes Down To The 1 Method To Improve At Latter Stages

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. Ol bugga

Ol bugga Carved of stone

Reading List:
    Link
    won't get far by getting frustrated with the logic a FANTASY novel has.

5. Darquesse

Darquesse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Absorbing genes from those you share genes with is considered extremely dangerous, and is a last resort.

6. L-a-w

L-a-w Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    he can't go above 100 stat as long as he is a rank f so absorbing wind foxs or using reagents won't make it happen and it's hard to find a mob that have stats higher than your own at a total scale like our mc per say has 80 spirit points and anything else is 30 and he killed a wind fox with 60 spirit and 90 everything else and absorbs his gene then the mc WON'T GET stat increase at them no he will be fucked up ( can't recall the danger name ) but it's pretty bad so the 2 methods are both not BS cuz 1 is expensive and the other is dangerous at 2 lvls getting killed or the gene fuck up thing beside the fact that it should hurt like hell as you will read in future

feyrin likes this.
  7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe he can absorb the frustration and rank up.

8. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel's logic starts becoming consistent only around the 90s. So if you wait a bit, it'll become better fleshed out
    He goes off to attend a tournament and they talk more about this. So, if you're familiar with Douluo Dalu, think of it as this.
    Method 1 is similar to Tang San's practicing the Mysterious Tang Sect arts
    Method 2 is similar to consuming those rare heavenly flowers. Can be done once per threshold. Basically each human has a limited potential per level. Say your capacity is 100 at F level. To go to E level you need to go to 101. But your current gene potential is exhausted. So you either seek an adrenaline rush in a dangerous situation or a sudden boost using a potion (the heavenly flower). It provides a small but critical boos
    Method 3 is like acquiring a beast soul. You do this once per level, just like in DD1. Each time you step into a new class (F to A), you acquire an ability to fuse more genes and can choose a new ability gene. Note that this gene is foreign and not part of your own latent abilities. And a gene crafter is basically an alchemist

gary0044187 likes this.
  9. Kaminiisama

Kaminiisama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget that into rank upto to F it's 100 points but from F to E it's 1000

10. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    You cant use the 20+ to limit break which comes into play later. The methods are simplified to poor man peaceful, rich man money blow and gambling kills.

gary0044187 and Black Parcher like this.
  11. Black Parcher

Black Parcher The Eternal World Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    1st method slow and steady wins the race/ no danger and free
    2nd method is like taking steroids/ no danger per say if your rich/ cost and arm and a leg money wise
    3rd method is gambling some times you win & some times you lose/ extremely dangerous/ it could pay off but you have to find a beast with all stats that are better than yours, or your stats will lose the difference between the lesser value and your stats.

gary0044187 likes this.
  12. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's issues with this.

First issue is zeno's paradox. he can never reach the finish line by halving the distance to a point. IE even if he fought 100 spirit 100 critters he would never get to 100 spirit stat. zeno's paradox states that if you advance by going half the distance to the finish line, you can never reach the finish line as half the distance to the finish line has a half way point as well. Never mind the fact that it is rare for these critters to have 100 spirit to begin with. It would be incredibly lucky for him to ever reach higher than 90 spirit by hunting them because of how rare the ones over 90 are. But he will never be able to break through 100 this way.

Next issue is that this critter is spirit primary, the other stats are grossly inferior to the spirit stat. even if the critter had a 90+ stat in spirit, at best it may have 50ish in that stat. In fact the better his stats get the more likely that absorbing a critter for a rise in spirit may have the effect of reducing his other stats.

But even more important to even this is that the next rank up, E has a range of up to 1000. It would be much easier to make up for his weak stats with gains in the E rank then. I imagine we will find that boosting spirit has a tendency of keeping other stats at about 50% of spirit's max though. Call it balance or whatever, but I assume that eventually he will be able to turn this concept on its head after a while.

Black Parcher likes this.
  13. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay I realize that you can't actually reach 120+ while as an F, but in that case you can use the killing method to near max stats, then use pots and whatever other slow methods to hit the cap. Which is still pretty awful in my opinion. There's just no fun to the system.

Which is why I said the fox has 101 stats across all fields so that wouldn't be an issue

14. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    how many foxes like that exist though? I think he realized at the end of that chapter how hard it would be to continue to grow like this. also he almost died getting as far as he did. only later do you see someone doing this the smart way. TBH you are only a few chapters out from finding a 4th way to grow. I think your perspective will change then.

15. Password

Password [The Forgotten One][Well-Known Password]

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a chance that your stats will decrease with method 3 and it will cause pain as you use it, you would need to kill 1 creature with stats that is 1 or 2 points more than your to increase your stats and find creatures like that are hard, either you find one that's perfect and you gain stats with no draw backs or you find one but you have to give up 1 strength or other stats

16. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Method Three has lots of downsides to it, which is why it isn't something spammable by most.

1: You need to seek for a monster that has stats just high enough that you actually benefit from absorbing it, but also low enough that you don't mutate afterward.
    2: You need to beat it. (or just hire mercs to do so for you).
    3: You need to weather the pain from the absorption. MC doesn't really care, but most 'young masters' will start squeeling like pigs if they try to get 3 or more stats from a single monster.
    4: Because of (2) and maybe (3), this only works for the lower end of the power spectrum. Finding, beating, then absorbing those monsters at higher levels? Sounds suicidal.

What I find BS is how little 'consequences' there are from any sort of power up. They don't need to 'adapt' to their new stats, and instead they can just get the boost and then immediately do whatever the hell they want to do with their newfound stats. No time wasted trying to assimilate.

17. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Method 3 requires help generally, and finding the right monsters should be a pain the in the ass, since most people can't do what the MC did and just kill the strongest monster and absorb the genes, they would die, typically you need to go like 2-3 points each, and as that goes higher, the difficulty of finding monsters that are above you in all stats while not being too far above you, increases.

Pretty much, it's the method for the rich.

18. gary0044187

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, I was thinking that the OP may not have gotten this far and we have inadvertently spoiled this.

19. MaskMe

MaskMe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be able to explain why this is very wrong but i wont just understand the effciency of one type of animal with decrease exponentially after one use

20. Ol bugga

Ol bugga Carved of stone

Reading List:
    Link
    you can't be talking about t....the.. THE BOOSSSSTOOOOOOO

elengee likes this.