Spoiler The Struggle of the (Temporary) Villainess...

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by augacutan, Sep 24, 2021.

1. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The meaning differs between cultures. Also the word they use is often not actually saint, but that is the closest English word.

In terms of settings like this, it has more to do with the type of a person's magic then the quality of their character.

LynnLynn, evanesco99211 and Dofu like this.
  2. Thamalasca

Thamalasca Editing MTL's for "I'll Save this Damn Family"

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoilers!
    I do find it somewhat sad when these characters can't get over the fact that the "game" they have landed in isn't a "game" anymore. Especially when the "game" keeps on proving them wrong. Charlotte is very typical in that regard. Basically she is slowly going insane, trying to make the world, that is in fact her new reality, work in her favor and disregards anything else. It's very visible in the fact that she refers to bugs and programming mistakes instead of admiting to herself that this is reality. Plus if she thinks it's a game, why doesn't she realise that since she thinks everything is predetermind by the script, she is also predetermind, since she is part of it, and should follow it in order to get what she really wants? This is basically what the MC does. She follows the rules of this world in order to survive and uses them to her advantage, whether Charlotte thinks that because she is the heroine she is above them. Which is stupid, she is even more bound by them than anyone else.

3. Skyyyyyy

Skyyyyyy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember Keith is from a fallen noble. His family hates him so he craves for love. So when he met Charlotte, and apparently Charlotte shown that she likes (seduces) him, he grabbed this. As if only Charlotte is the one who gave him love that he wanted all his life. This man is thirsty for love

4. fiminkio

fiminkio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoiler. For reincarnated person, she is so stupid... i get it she has miserable life but why destroy others' life? She knows the feeling of that pain, so why? She still never acknowledge her doing is wrong so i don't have a little bit sorry for her tho.

5. gautam1989

gautam1989 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I feel bad for Charlotte, despite being a bad person, because of the spoiler about

her previous life being miserable.
    I wish she could have been reformed.

Plus as someone obsessed with Otome games she should know that Otome Isekai settings are all about the villainess changing the predetermined ending in their favour.

6. Boopbup

Boopbup Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof I feel bad for that guy

7. Akodo_Novel

Akodo_Novel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just wanted to touch on a few of the above posts here.

Particularly the first one which I agree.

The main complaint that @akera93 seems to have and I share, is that we have read many stories where the 'good villains' triumph over the 'evil heroes'.

It would be one thing if the heroes/villains were just people on different sides of a war for example but in the world of Otome games novels this is not the case..

In an Villainess Otome Game Novel : The villainess CHANGES due to Isekei or similar event so there is justification for her turning good or having a personality change.

But consider the NOBLE / HERO Prince... They are generally changed into being complete idiots / jerks / assh*** without a similar reasoning. They were NEVER noble/hero etc...

That is the frustration.

If the Villainess changes then a true NOBLE / HERO Prince would recognize the change and even if they want a break-up would try not to harm the changed villainess but because this would kill the story, they get passed the villain ball.

Similarly there is a problem with the 'Heroine' characters in these novels. Otome game heroines are meant to be nice/pure/etc etc...Yet many of the stories I read have them either be hidden villains or (most often) they are also Isekai who treat everything like a game and manipulate others into trying to act their game roles because the story needs a villain and if the villainess is not one, then the heroine will become one.

Again this is the frustration.

It's like reading a what-if novel where there is only meant to be ONE change (villainess is isekai) only for multiple changes to happen instead.

Moving on, I want to touch on the Divine / Saintess aspect.

Again I sort of agree with @akera93. This is a general setting problem I have with some manhua / manga etc.

Divine Magic is treated as just ordinary magic with a different color.

If a type of magic is considered divine then it should come from the god or goddess of that world. Yet in many stories the wielders of divine magic do not seem to pray / follow their god but still get power anyway.

So again it's like they want a priest character (often times a villainous priest) who can still cast Divine Magic without worrying about the 'Good' god smiting or rejecting them and not granting them power.

It would be one thing if the 'god' in question was a dark god or a random spirit etc but in most otome game novels...the god is meant to good but still allows their priests to use their god-given magic for villainous ends?

So again it becomes a priest in name only.

8. Kingdo

Kingdo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your point and your frustration. And I mostly agree with you.
    Take the "vilainess" tag for example, while being a saintess or a hero can be a job in many stories, the vilainess don't. So we only have the definition and today there are stories like "the tyrant only perfumer" where I ask myself "Where is the vilainess ?".
    The tyrant too by the way, how many ML tyrants do we have who are tyrant in name only ? At must, they just like teasing the MC.

But in stories, there is setting. As a reader, we accept things we know doesn't make sense like magic. For me, if the stories explain enough why things are what they are, it's fine. And I don't think it's fair as a reader to said that we accept magic, but not the saintess because the saintess doesn't correspond to the real definition. Magic doesn't exist at all, at best you can talk about magic trick.
    Of course, if the stories doesn't explain anything, that changes my statement. Because if the stories doesn't explain, we readers can only use our knowledge about reality.

Where I agree that there is some frustration to this copy/paste stories with the Triforce vilainess/saintess/prince. I think it's not fair to blame the stories when the setting is correct. The primary fault is for the author who didn't have the imagination (or the will) to be different or to simply are a bad writer.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  9. evil_muffins

evil_muffins Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we get more spoilers, less opinions/arguments?

at least put it in spoiler tags so it doesn't get clogged up. Please, we're just 2 pages in, I don't want this to have 20 pages of a fight -_-

Can we get more spoilers on the princes?
    Does Garret have a happy end? Did he get punished after the ball? Seems like he was just too naive and a bit of a pushover, sad that he got caught up with crazy og!fl.

Or more spoilers on how CP and FL meets? sweet moments? How does CP reveal they were lovers in the past?

Elisee, Yume-sama, Peerly and 5 others like this.
  10. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya, in a lot of these stories it seems it is more a case of people associate certain types of magic with being divine, but it really is not.

More often then not , it is also a world with absent/silent gods.

It is not every world, but it does seem to be to common for these fantasy worlds to have absent gods for no good reason.

But there are enough "faulty" churches in fantasy stories where either they praise a fictious deity, it is all a power/control scheme, or the god is just as corrupt and claims not to be.

Though I have seen in fiction (though I can only name a couple NA fiction series/properties of the top of my head) where the gods were present/vocal and would strip priests of their powers if they went to far. That was one thing that struck me when I first started reading D&D books (my first book was a 2nd Edition PHB), and while I do not know for every edition but for at least some the gods could and would strip priests and paladins of their powers right in the class rules.

11. Skyyyyyy

Skyyyyyy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be wrong since MTL is so messy.
    • It was social debut when Rebecca and Ethan (ML) met each other again.
    • Their first meeting was 3 years ago. And at that time, Rebecca feels strange as if Ethan was part of her.
    • Rebecca and Ethan dance to each other. After dancing Ethan went to his mother (the queen to greet her)
    • Rebecca wants to observe Ethan if he is really her husband in her past life and if he still doesn't have the memory of their past life. (She deducted why she feel strange the first time they met each other and come to conclusion Ethan might be her husband) If ever Ethan was really her husband, she wants Ethan to fall in love with her (again) but kinda hesitant since Ethan has a fiance from neighboring country.
    • Rebecca went to a terrace and remember the first time they met when Ethan came and asked what she was thinking. She told him she just remember the first time they met each other. She thought to herself that she was 14 at that time and Ethan was 17, and she still doesn't remember her past life back then (since she only remembers it recently).
    • Ethan asked what her impression back then and Rebecca thought of it. When they first met each other, Ethan told her 'You will love me' and rebecca answered him 'You're a weird person'. (this will be explained later)
    • Rebecca and Ethan stared to each other and convince that they were lovers from past life
    • In their past life, it was in middle school/junior high when Shu (Ethan) started to like Saki (Rebecca). It was at love at first sight. When they talked to each other, Shu told her 'You will like me' and at that time Saki answered ' you're a weird person'. They spent together as classmate and went to different school in highschool.
    • They met again in their 3rd year of highschool. Shu encourage himself and ask Saki out. They married each other after graduating college.
    • Shu asked what was Saki impression of him and Saki told him that he's a weird person and laugh.
    • They were happy with each other but that happiness got destroyed when they got into a car accident.
    • When Saki died, Shu prayed and beg to GOD with his remaining strength that if ever he will be reborn again, he wants to be in the same world as his wife since Saki was his other half.
    • After that he died while holding Saki's hand.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  12. LunarCiel

LunarCiel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    More spoilers on Rebecca and Ethan?

13. kieranfortier

kieranfortier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can’t feel sorry for her. In her previous life she miserable and maybe ugly outside and that was not her choice. If that was the end, I would feel sorry for her, but no. She received another chance, beautiful outside, yet, became ugly inside. If you want to see a persons real face, give her power.

wow, I’m crying so hard about their first life death!

14. Akodo_Novel

Akodo_Novel Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for very late reply (Reply notification went to junk mail) but I just want to touch on the D&D thing.

The D&D thing of stripping powers from Clerics and Paladins if the Gods were upset was removed in 4th and 5th edition. Now the god of evil incarnate can not do diddly squat if their cleric decides to open an genuinely good orphanage or pet shelter.

It's a change I very much disagree with on an RP side because it just makes it feel like players should just re-flavor the class as Arcane Caster with a different spell list and call it a day.

Rin.rinaaa likes this.
  15. crispyliza

crispyliza Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do the mc and ml give birth to their son from their previous life again?

cabbagenyanko and SweetEstrella like this.
  16. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So all in all many characters in the world of FanRom Otome Games & Novels are just simple two dimensional constructions extisting in a convolluted edgy melodramatic plot where consistent rationality/logic has no place in there...
    This genre is just stuck in a new popular status quo.

The only antagonist saint that is being possessed by an entitled delusional apathetic fan girl who doesn't get too demonized, killed, tortured, raped or horrifically punished but gets a chance to realize her big mistakes, atone and earn back some of her powers that I can think of is:
    Heroina - Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance

[​IMG]

FunSmiles likes this.
  17. bingo5

bingo5 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No updates on the manga right ?:(

18. Berry.Blast.20

Berry.Blast.20 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anywhere to access the raws?

So far there's nothing.

19. Monica.93

Monica.93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What will to garret her ex fiancé in the end

20. bingo5

bingo5 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They are on good terms and he’s helping the country sort of like an engineer