LCD The Sword and The Shadow

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by akki, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Ryogawa

Ryogawa Translator on Volarenovels and Liberspark

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who usually detests harems, and someone who has read the entirety of this novel, I have to say that the harem is pretty well done and fully fleshed out. MC doesn't just get the women "handed" to him so to speak.

2. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just started the novel, and so far, it's alright. The only real thing I don't like about the story so far (roughly ~30 chapters in), is how the author chose to characterise the main character. When Vera (?) was telling MC about her past, it was stated that he couldn't relate at all, yet a chapter or two later, we are told of MC's past, and how he had a mentor/grandfather figure whom he lost, as well as a childhood friend who he is separated from. Not to mention the whole "I was in a dark place after losing the mentor and struggling to survive in the slums, but I'm still innocent and naive, and was somehow able to survive." The whole excuse/explanation used by the author felt poor and/or forced. I feel like it could have been handled better.

Nevertheless, based on what's happened thus far, the story could still be an interesting read, since the MC will probably develop towards a better direction so I'll probably continue on.

EDIT: Nevermind. As of chapter 59, there's nothing really interesting about this that's able to make me want to continue.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. Ryogawa

Reading List:
    Link
    If lack of action from the MC is what puts you off, you should persist until Chapter 99 instead before you make the decision.

EDIT: I can also guarantee that the romance in this novel is far better than TRL's with there being many interesting female characters throughout as well.

Anyway, thanks for trying the novel out nevertheless.

4. CodeZero

CodeZero Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of small things that, while normally wouldn't completely put me off, when added together eventually did. The MC's inconsistent character is just one of them. Some others include the weird contrast between the MC's naivety and the story's tone. I can understand that the author is trying to do a coming of age/the world is ruthless thus MC needs to grow sort of story (otherwise the MC's personality wouldn't start off being like how it is), but I just feel like it's unnecessary, especially considering the whole backdrop of MC having a split personality/increase in ruthlessness when his eyes turn black, and his past with the mentor figure and the childhood friend. I feel like if the author really wanted to show development in the MC's character, then starting the story when he was younger in the slums, and then showing the loss of the mentor and the childhood friend and then him meeting people who would change him for the better would have been much more compelling, at least to me. But instead we're stuck with some kid who is overly trusting and naive despite being told that he has experienced some dark things in his past?

Another thing that I feel like the story is lacking in is a general direction, at least for the MC. Even if we're not introduced/hyped up for some antagonists this early on in the series (the whole orcs invasion conspiracy thing isn't properly hyped imo, at least not yet when I stopped reading), I would have hoped that we would at least know what the MC's aspirations are. We're told that he lost his childhood friend, but we don't even see him react to it. Like, does he not want to find her again? How come he doesn't have a thirst for power/strength so that he can successfully reunite and then protect her? There's no sense of urgency or anything. Just doesn't make much sense to me and detracts from my reading experience.

Overall, I feel like the series could have done quite well, so I guess my expectations were set a little too high. Others might find it enjoyable, but it's just not for me.

5. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just curious, i read the symposiums and it seems like theres 2 different MC?

6. Ryogawa

Reading List:
    Link
    There's one MC, but the supporting characters are also given quite a bit of development too.

7. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Determined』『Status: Coding in Uni』

Reading List:
    Link
    Just done with the binge-read from c1. It's not a recommended thing to do...from Cyranos to Vera's dad to the siblings. Author is a sadist with killing sub characters soon after I feel connected to them.

And about the synopsis, it seems the merc is Kurdak and the mage is Annelotte.

...the savior of a mysterious disfigured dark-elf girl with a talent for the Breath...

Is this Eirinn?

...the unlikely caregiver for a feisty young maiden.

And this is Innilis?

jolly-crow likes this.
  8. Ryogawa

Reading List:
    Link
    I can neither confirm nor deny your questions. XP
    And I hope your bingeing the novel means you liked it!

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  9. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Underdog stories often attract me plus I read TRL. The excitement is picking up slow that at some point I almost thought that this is a slice of life novel.

10. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    c111 + teaser: I like this orc. I hope author makes this guy one of Leguna's allies. And not kill him.

11. mr.tanen

mr.tanen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    at this stage i don't think leguna could kill him even if he wanted to...and it would be so for a long time
    or at least one more montage and time skip :p

12. ShojiroKatsuragi

ShojiroKatsuragi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We'll just have to wait and read, no won't we?

13. falcon92

falcon92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    did the romance started yet? or is there a love interest?
    just started reading this novel and still in the early chapters :blob_grin:

14. mr.tanen

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a harem

...if that didn't spook you away yet, i cant tell you that he had just barely started melting the 1st girl's heart and there's another that has only been mentioned in flashbacks and that is disfigured
    other than that nothing...unless a prepubescent child that's currently hanging with the party counts, but hopefully not! :blobpoliceangry:

falcon92 likes this.
  15. Ryogawa

Reading List:
    Link
    The harem does take its own time to grow. Even a usual harem avoider like me stuck with the story till the end!

Shield Loyalist and mr.tanen like this.
  16. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Me @ Teaser: :blobfearful::blobfearful::blobfearful:

Did something bad happen to Annie that made Galestorm rage so much?
    Did she go to Hladik and admit that she was the one who killed the favored disciple for Leguna?!

17. Ryogawa

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad that people actually read the teasers XD

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  18. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    This. Sadistic. Author!

Don't die, Annelotte! :blobsob:

19. mr.tanen

Reading List:
    Link
    WHAT?!? i let it stockpile a bit and this sh!t happens? :facepalm:
    would someone please kindly tell me when the battle with hladik ends? if it's soon i'll wait until then to resume reading the story

20. Shield Loyalist

Reading List:
    Link
    Hladik is already dead, but there's some backup from Eye fighting...Leguna. And like cliche stories, Galestorm arrived late.

c130 teaser hints that Annie may be alive.

mr.tanen likes this.