LCD The Sword Dynasty 剑王朝

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by 101that, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 101that

101that Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-sword-dynasty/

https://dreamsofjianghu.ca/2019/07/20/sd-01-001/#more-8917

I love the 28 chapters translated to-date and notice that there is no LCD thread for this gem yet. I think I may as well start a LCD and at the same time, introduce this undiscovered gem to other readers.

Reading this novel gives me the feeling that is closer to wuxia with an emphasis on qi-cultivation rather than xuanhuan or cookie-cutter xianxia. In the first 28 chapters alone, a main plot and various sub-plots are introduced. Author has also started to flesh out various interesting characters besides MC. Somehow, reading this evokes a sense of Mao Ni's style of writing (but thankfully, not as ...ephemeral?) and Zhu Xian's characterization. Translation quality is excellent! Novel "only" consists of 939 chapters and hopefully, quality-degrading fillers will not pop up in the rest of the novel.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  2. hmz

hmz Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now i see your review i will check it soon

3. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is because 无罪's xianxias are written as traditional xianxia, not the new-school xianxia so popularly translated at the moment.

4. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would give it a shot but the historical genre puts me off.

5. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently, this novel has been adapted as a TV series with filming wrapped up in Apr 2019. The main actor and actress are Li Xian 李现 and Li YiTong 李一桐 respectively. Director is supposed to have bagged several awards for his big-screen films in China. He also provided the gravelly voice-over for the trailer that can be found at this link:

6. Ushiyama Tatsuma

Ushiyama Tatsuma Devilish Judoka • Bloody Professor ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Looks like something @Wujigege would enjoy, Due to the adaptation.

Wujigege likes this.
  7. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    " Usually, when a disciple joined the sect, the sect would teach them based on their potential and attributes, give suggestions and help them pick a suitable cultivation method and swordsmanship method."

Hmm ... I wonder if Ding Ning knows of any swordsmanship. Previously, he killed the peak Realm Three cultivator using his Silkworm cultivation method and there's no mention of him practicing swords to-date.

I like the intelligence and logic behind Ding Ning's explanation to Nangong Chaishu regarding his late attempt to join a sect - all truths that can be verified with only some crucial bits of concealment. The same can be said of the reasons for his request to stay off-campus with his aunt.

The writing so far, strikes a balance between the bewilderment that often arises in the readers' minds when reading Mao Ni's writing and the brain-turned-off when reading other typical xian-xia writing. One needs to think when reading Sword Dynasty but not over-work the 1.4kg organ (brain).

8. 101that

Reading List:
    Link
    “Do you know who are the most terrifying people in the world? Not the ones who do not fear death, but those that are soon to die, and do not worry if they would die or not. I am too old, almost dead, but before the end, I need to remind people of this.”

Nice! :)