The true evil never shown in novels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Vanidor, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Many countries have their citizens commonly portrayed as villains in novels. Serial killers and others are shown in multiple skin colours. Many occupations like Lawyers, Politicians, Police, and even the unemployed drifter/bum is the main villain of many novels. But the real evil is rarely mentioned: CONTRACTORS!!!

Are they secretly out there suppressing stories of their evil deeds? Do they control the Illuminati and Masons?

I've never had a perfect encounter with one, even the seemingly nice ones end up with some weird problem. From the first guy, gave a quote on electrical upgrade required by the Insurance after purchase, realized it needed more work than that but never gave a new updated quote, just disappeared. Through troubled new furnace installs, bathroom fixes, etc.

[Latest is I got a quote for new siding a month ago, accepted it immediately. I then got contacted by another person in their company to accept it, told him I had. I got busy with other stuff while I waited, assuming they were just busy after the shutdowns.

Emailed them a few days ago asking if they had an ETA on work starting. In reply I got a new quote for twice the price, different materials used and different colours.

So either the original guy who wrote the quote was on crack, they forgot about me and decided to jack up their prices to make up for lost hours during Covid19, or they are just evil and anything could be going on.

It's getting close to the end of the season to easily install here in the north too]

Edit: I strongly suggest if any of you ever have to deal with contractors, don't pay them ahead of time, don't believe anything they say until it's done, and even then try to take a peek before it's closed up in case there's fresh dead bodies hidden in a wall.

2. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tldr: you got cheated by contractor?

Mnotia, asriu, Fulminata and 7 others like this.
  3. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And in reverse, the same also happens, my father who was a contractor encountered a client that had money problems so after renting all the equipment and breaking ground out from his own pocket to keep within the deadlines of the project, the stage milestone payment never came. He lost about 300k on that one. So from then on, it's cash before work.

Mnotia, AliceShiki, asriu and 4 others like this.
  4. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never gotten cheated yet. But I've had multiple people promise to do work, never show despite talking to me multiple times and promising to be there "tomorrow afternoon" and just ghost. Others actually do the work but weeks or months later than they had said.

Just a long list of dishonesty of differing degrees.

5. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    well, they are, the one who building the villains HQs right?i never imagine villains install their own electricity/water pipe for their HQs :hmm::hmm:

imK and TokioftheBel like this.
  6. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never disputed any payment, even when I wasn't 100% happy with the work. Its generally been reasonable quality when they show. It's all the lies that drive me nuts.

7. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We had a guy who had us go around and advertise that they were doing our siding. Half a year later, not only were they not done but had installed lower quality doors all over the house.

When confronted, they told us that we couldn't prove they cheated us. They were technically right. For our garage doors, we didn't think to document the quality (since they had seemed like they were on the up and up back then) and they dragged out the rest of the claims long enough that it not longer was worth it.

Now we are stuck with cheap-o siding, poor quality garage doors, a front door that doesn't close properly, and a back door that requires two people struggling with all their might just to lock it.

Even if they have great reviews: DO NOT PAY THEM BEFOREHAND!

Moonpearl and imK like this.
  8. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Similar issues as others. We got to experienced a new addition of the house(kitchen, bedroom, laundry, and a bathroom) being wired into into two breakers, and then spliced Into the original box. We then had to pay another outfit to rewire the whole house because the splice job shorted out both the new and the old parts of the house....

Different house had a large solid top deck installed that was higher along the outside rather then lower, so instead of the rain water running off Into the drains, it would pool in lakes right next to the building. This ofcourse funneled the water into a hole which leaked into the basement.

This doesnt even include the countless times they didnt bother plotting underground water, septic, or electrical pipes and lines before digging a trench with a ditch witch or backhoe

Moonpearl, Fulminata and imK like this.
  9. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    You have my sympathies. It took an eight year legal battle to finally stitch up the contractors that screwed up my parent's house and force the insurance guys to pay out for it despite the fact the insurers were the one that insisted on using them in the first place. Had to repair/replace over 60% of the house. It would've been cheaper for the insurance company to pay for the old one to get demoed and just build a new one but for whatever (probably legal) reason, they paid for the extensive renovations instead.

Fulminata likes this.
  10. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know what they say...

ALWAYS READ THE FINE PRINT! BE IT MICRO OR NANO! If it's not in the paper, it doesn't mean shit.

asriu and Fulminata like this.
  11. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I strongly, strongly encourage this. Maybe you'll find hidden easter eggs, a secret map to eldorado, or the fudging clause of "all of the price mentioned above can be unilaterally modified by the first party according to the change of market price" and the likes :blobpopcorn_cool:

Nightow1 likes this.
  12. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Old Lady ♡〗〖High Acidity ♡〗〖Lethal ♡〗

Reading List:
    Link
    someone go write a novel with a villainous contractor right now :blobtaco:

AliceShiki and Fulminata like this.
  13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hee~
    this cat thought it was medical related stuff, doctor, nurse, insurance, hospital fee ect~ well few bad apple can destroy whole cart of apples~ there also organizations, big company, government but that seem more popular on game~

14. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll be honest and admit that while I am working in the medical field, the increasingly spiraling costs of healthcare frightens even me. Some of it I can understand, like blood transfusion, one pint is like $500 USD because unlike normal products, we can't *heat to sterilize* (the cheapest and most common form of sterilization, but it will break up the hemoglobin) so to sterilize blood, you need to specially filter it and that costs. Then the R&D money companies sink into new drugs and research is so high that just to recoup the cost of projects that did not work and to pay for the testing, medicine costs go through the roof (not even mentioning how to keep the investors happy or they'll just walk away and leave your company bankrupt).

It's at a point where I suspect it might be better NOT to get treated and save the money for a better life for your wife and kids later rather than risk all of you in the poorhouse.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    USA? based on info on media and social media healthcare system on USA is mess~ well compared to other develop country hmm on Europe
    well for this cat country maybe on corruption sector~ oh our universal healthcare also played by medical sector, not all but some from da insurance company to doctor~ there also doctor association which kinda corrupt hmm no more like on slightly bad reputation, cover da infact and legally troublesome doctor (on bad sense) lil bit more political these day~

16. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link