Discussion The UK's Eu referendum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CDLevit, Apr 28, 2016.

1. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had read this article http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32810887 and I'm curious about actual opinions of those that are from UE (and not only). It's not a survey, I just want to gain a better understanding on this subject. So, how do you see their possible choice?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    it's a shitstorm. if they leave, there will be damages to both sides (mainly to eu members). if they don't leave, there will be only damages to UK (the membership fee to EU and "open" borders for "immigrants")

*oh. there are no benefits in staying in EU at the moment. with turkey just extorting the eu for "protection and immigrant control". it's becoming an even bigger shitstorm.

3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fixed it for ya...sort of...
    Basically the UK does better than the EU does on avg economically. One could even argue that being in the EU has been dragging the UK economy through the mud. Due to this the UK wants to quit the EU...Also Germany and the UK are the only really "successful" countries in the EU...everyone else is just piggybacking, which is why the UK wants to leave

Aszai, SirMajorLemon and ABMAINA like this.
  4. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't forget the BeNeLux

ElTorroLoco and Random like this.
  5. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    The other part of the problem is that Scotland likes the EU quite a bit, and if the UK does leave, there's a better than good chance that a Scotland exit referendum would actually pass.

Which would be very painful for both sides as well.

Reginald Twistleton likes this.
  6. CDLevit

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, what I don't understand is, if they chose to side with UE, now, when the fan broke, do they play the leaving chip? I'm finding hard to undertand this whole 'buissness' of leaving and remaining. Of course, immigration was and is a problem, even USA has/have problems. But, theorethically a free market should offer the basic needs, no? What I find even stranger is, if we compare UE with UK aren't they similar? Every state, whether is a federation or a not has a legislative body, no? Beside that, one particular aspect that i've liked is that court that isn't placed in the country. Corruption takes place everywhere but, what happens when the costs are higher and the 'moles' harder to place?

Someone, once saied that, we must help impoverished countries, help our neighbours. Why? Because if they have nothing to lose they will war with you. That's an practical point of view and, human rights, aren't always respected, nor understood. If the head is bad how can the body act?

One aspect that i've saw in that article was about the hours regulation. I'm for it. Why? Because if you're a worker you bend your back to the boss. When you need to win your bread you'll do everything for that and how can you refuse your boss, he's the boss, he can fire you, no? So, if law states that the limit is x hours, then, respect them! THe law wasn't made for those good boses, but for the bad ones. Personally, I'm begining to be dissapointed by the whole story. It looks to much like exclusivity, high standards and ... personal gain.

Other states, i.e. Japan treat differently this problem. If you were to look at their media, novels, movies you'll see that, at least, the masses are begining to be educated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_company_(Japanese_term)

7. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    EU is a dying ship and there are no life boats.

8. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, from the other side of the UE people would quite be happy too if they leave because they asked to have a lot of advantage from the UE that other countries don't have.
    People see the UK as a guest from the UE that doesn't taste the dishes but criticize the chef and go away with the tips....

CDLevit likes this.
  9. Sosseres

Sosseres Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    After WWII, people tried to find a way to not have a WWIII. So they asked themselves: how can we make wars between countries in Europe unprofitable?
    Well, tie them with their money. By mixing countries economy with each other, war are very very unlikely to happen

CDLevit and Benk like this.
  11. Makuba

Makuba Wyrd bið ful aræd

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair enough, i was just trying to give face to Belgium.

12. Crimshine

Crimshine x399 %993

Reading List:
    Link
    This article is interesting because we have kind of the same type of article on "Why UK should leave" but being concentrated on the City.
    Your article say that UE profit from UK.
    My articles say that UK profit from UE.

13. Benk

Benk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't understand well the british situation but i think if they exit now the situation will only go worst.
    It's true that they pay more than other countries but if there will be a crisis they will be alone.
    I know because I'm from italy and without the eu there would be a lot of problems ( or more than now).

14. CDLevit

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. The treaty for coal and iron and so on. I'm still amazed by this policy: if you don't give me the lion share, I'll take my toys and go.

But, to be honest, buissness is war and war is buissness. What I fail to understand is why most of them can't see in the far future. Too many states with too many interests are out there and, most of them, can't understand the win-win policy that thow treaties tried to reach. If we have a bigger market we can skip taxes and we can reach faster and further. In buissness you must do better and faster than others.

My country, long ago - 19century- was the part of Europe's breadbasket https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breadbasket#Romania, nowdays.. it's lacking in most aspects.

What does UK has to offer? I don't know, must do a search on this subject.

Crimshine likes this.
  15. silverkage

silverkage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm all for us (England) staying in the EU and don't think we'll end up leaving, though tbh if we did, it probably wouldn't cause that many issues unless you were living somewhere in Europe

16. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    Any comparison is going to be flawed. The one on wiki says that before it lists their data. The actual money paid and then the projects paid for in your country is a lot of money but not the major part of the costs and benefits. Those are in how it effects your overall growth to be part of the union with open borders and common standards and laws.
    (The current version with EU putting out a law and then each country doing their own law with minor variations isn't getting the maximum benefit out of the union. This is my personal opinion at least.)

CDLevit likes this.
  17. BlackHat88

BlackHat88 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally disagree with Suijin.

True, UK is one of the biggest economy in Europe, but they give nearly as much as France and Germany gives way more to the EU.
    In total, there's 10 countries that gives more to the EU than what they receive back.
    On top of that, UK is only 8th contributor on a per head basis.
    So saying UK alone is piggybacking the EU is a long stretch, that's one thing wrong.

Secondly, UK economy has a lot to gain from being in the EU, without the free trade, UK's companies will lose billions each year while the EU will be hurt at first but get back on his feet while UK will stay in a bad position while trading with Europe.
    On the job side, do you think international corporations will let their European HQ in UK in those conditions ?

Thirdly, there's always disparities between territories, should NY and California make secession from USA because they contribute more than the rest of the states? The main point of the EU is peace, it's the first time in centuries if not millenia that Europe stayed in peace for so long and in that EU played his part and should continue to exist so it stays like it.

It's easy to repeat populist speeches and preconceived ideas but usually, it's simply putting make-up on numbers to make them say what you want while ignoring the less obvious truth.

Interesting reading btw.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...w-much-does-Britain-pay-to-the-EU-budget.html

CDLevit likes this.
  18. Kemm

Kemm Custom title

Reading List:
    Link
    The interesting thing is that Germany has received financial aid from the EU due to reccession a couple of years before the big wave and despite that they were the first ones to oppose any sort of financial aids to other countries.

About the matter on hand, I don't know exactly what the consequences will be neither if they leave or stay, so the only thing I can say about that is to think it thoroughly and don't act based on the heat of the moment nor on incomplete information or misinformation, which is sadly very common in the current society.

CDLevit likes this.
  19. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Questions of economic benefit aside, if they do end up leaving the EU I wonder how much influence the UK will still try to have on EU policy while no longer bound by it themselves.

20. Sosseres

Reading List:
    Link
    There is war in Europe at this moment. People tend to forget Ukraine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_military_intervention_in_Ukraine_(2014–present)