Discussion The Yuri Garden

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Moonpearl, Feb 13, 2017.

?

What should the next anthology title be? (Format is "__________: A Yuri Garden Anthology")

Poll closed Sep 7, 2022.
  1. Festival of Blooming Flowers

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Festival of Blooming Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lily-White Wishes

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Lily-White Wishes and Violet Desires

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Autumn Lillies

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Planted Seeds

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Everlasting Evergreen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Branches on the Tree of Life

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Perennial Blooms

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. The Sight by Yuri Lake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. The Good Luck Coin

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. Yearning Under Rapturous Ideals

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know about Yen Press, I'm buying and reading two series from them. So don't tell me how license is working.
    Ok, now we need to split how to determine pure one.
    If about Shinobu:
    X19.png
    X20.jpg
    X21.png
    As if she is simple girl after that. She rather bad with relationship. But with combat she is not simple.
    Then I'm glad that you like it. It's one of the best in its genre.

2. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm up-to-date with Marching Puppy. I already saw this scene. Her combat ability has no relation to her "purity".

(I'm putting "purity" in quotation marks because I don't support judging women as "pure" and "impure" in the first place.)

3. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't get you.
    You were saying:
    Character in question is ready for killing, how it will fit in space of cute or innocent characters? Or those characters or creatures dead are out of count?

4. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Marching Puppy isn't an example of a story that over-emphasises the "purity". I think Marching Puppy does it very well, giving Shinobu other character traits, a good reason for being the way she is, and her own backstory and motivations. It's just that she was one of the best examples I could think of to illustrate the "cute and innocent" type.

Sabruness and Ubik like this.
  5. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was rather bad example you know. Remember setting? They are soldiers, even some of them are meat for grinder. Shinobu meets one that one who was lucky to live through to it. Overall setting is rather dark not so like "To Die In June"
    But still, what they even train for? If not to fight or to die if situation leads to it?

6. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    Even though they're training to become part of the army, most of the students have no personal experience of war or killing someone yet. Their lessons are far removed from the actual distress of battle. It's still relatively light-hearted.

Shinobu being able to kill animals or deal with beasts without fear isn't a sign of her lack of innocence. In our modern times, it might be. But that's because most countries now have only part of the population killing animals for meat, and the rest just buy the resulting product. We have the luxury to think of killing an animal with our own hands as cruel.
    Shinobu has lived a life of poverty, so she's had to go out and hunt and scavenge for her own food. She has to catch and kill animals just to eat, and will have encountered snakes and angry boars while doing it, so of course she's well-adjusted to fighting and killing them.
    But she's only at the academy for free food. There was a scene where Kagami reminded her they were training to kill people and Shinobu was taken off-guard/a little frightened because she hadn't thought about it. I don't believe she's ready to kill a person at all.

My other example, "Creo the Crimson Crises", also has a dark setting, but a very innocent MC. Just because a setting isn't sweet or innocent, doesn't mean a character can't be.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Sabruness, Ubik and AliceShiki like this.
  7. crimson_carnation

crimson_carnation Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh? I only have a vague idea of most of those concepts. So will it be glorious chaos type shitty or just cringey shitty? :blob_tilt:

Ubik likes this.
  8. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    both

----------
    Ok, we have something new.
    First there is Ai wa Okujou no Karasu ni Oyobu - another side story for Tankobu.
    There is new work by Itou Hachi, Oni-san to Gohan - I don't know if it is creepy or cute.... I guess both. Initial premise really was mindblowing. Oni bought human girl for food. :blobfearful:
    And Watashi wo Hitorijime ni Shite -
    Himitsu to Mitsumete:
    "I will treasure this forever" - classmates Hina and Mitsuki are secretly dating. Hina wants to have the popular Mitsuki all to herself, as a present she gave Mitsuki and herself matching keystraps. When Mitsuki touched the keystrap, she felt something hard within it. This is... a wiretap!?
    blob_crime

edit: there is second short one oneshot it was rather cuter than previous stalker one.
    Ch. 2 - Kawarukoto Author is rather promising.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    crimson_carnation likes this.
  9. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    If anyone's still writing for the competition, there's one week left now~!

I'd also like to remind all contestants to double check their word count if they've made any edits after I checked it over, even if it was just to fix spelling errors.
    I'll thoroughly re-check every entry after the deadline passes and deliver the final verdict then. My pre-deadline checks are just to help you get deadline-ready~!

Ubik likes this.
  10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree. Shinobu's one of those characters where they're kinda unique in that fighting killing animals and such is no problem, because they do it out of necessity, but the thought of killing humans jars with her simple and mostly innocent yet strangely practical worldview.

I love Marching Puppy. There's just something about the story that you rarely see in other manga at all. I wish it (both raws and, subsequently, TL) would be released quicker but it's a quality story so i guess the slow release pace is the trade off.

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  11. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ubik, AsianessPride and Moonpearl like this.
  12. Moonpearl

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_pompom: Thank you for translating it~! It was brilliant from start to end.

I wish the author had actually published that BL story so we could see more of those two...

Ubik and AerynW like this.
  13. AerynW

AerynW Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're welcome~
    Yeah, me too. I've got lots of unresolved questions too XDDD

Ubik and Moonpearl like this.
  14. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Last chapter of General concubine. Somehow not very impressed. Not bad, not great
    BTW the yuri garden contest will end when? Kinda wanna see thems results and see what fellow gardeners like and write

Moonpearl likes this.
  15. AsianessPride

AsianessPride World’s #1 Chinese Yuri Novel MTL

Reading List:
    Link
    Last day to submit entries is the 30th I believe. I might slide in another entry as well

Moonpearl and Ubik like this.
  16. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Bored. I already gave it before but didn't a lot of reactions.
    So reposting Crazy-Psycho-Lesbian Kancolle video:

Moonpearl likes this.
  17. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the manga 'bloom into you' worth reading?

18. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. AsianessPride

AsianessPride World’s #1 Chinese Yuri Novel MTL

Reading List:
    Link
    Ubik likes this.
  20. Ubik

Ubik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like those too. But if you recall They are rather looks like in artillery where they didn't need to face what had done. Artillery units are called God of War because they are who took lives mostly. Since about 18 century. And more since inventing explosive ammo.
    Since then army is even in more remote killing, like in a game for some. :notlikeblob:
    About history and how it good to kill animals... there is dark side. Japan is rather racist nationalistic country still. Regardless of image they made. If they were taught that other nations people are not human at all and are animals they could be killed freely. Second World War shows that.
    If we count fiction. Slaves in there that rather not have rights rather common. Even if MC is good to them. But MC never change overall situation. :blobthumbsdown:
    Big thanks for translation! :blobsalute: It was very good ride. I'm rather interested what you take as short comedy GL novel next. :aww:
    I can only remind that what was in rules:
    So if you have something new to share don't draw it to last day of deadline. :blobangel:
    In my opinion - yes. But it's near completion. If you want to read as full you should wait for about 3 months (it's monthly). Overall it has mild drama level, good art (for me at least) at rather interesting characters. (Still I feel bad for Sayaka).
    Me, I even mention it here.
    For yuri it's not. It's rather typical Khiricastares story.... even though at start it was shocking. For now it's more het, I think it will remain for time at least.
    ----------
    Hana ni Arashi has new chapters but TOC in new volume rather disturbing, it looks like drama is incoming. Still beach chapter was adorable.

I found that there was update in The Villains Need to Save the World? NU page -
    NANI?! :blobfearful:

Also, there was new chapter of Demon Sword Maiden where MC get her... slave follower that is into her rather pervertly.

And I finally finished raws of Quick Transmigration – Villain Walkthrough
    It was very good. I found some of those realm stories that could be even serialized in bigger series. Future one was adorable. And late stories destroy expectation in good way. Ok, we have setting in one villain female general in male clothing (FL) and FMC as concubine in training in look like brothel. But what I get - slow life where FMC teased endlessly FL. Whole series was very fluffy regardless of summary and name. It should be named as "Transmigrating Female main character wants to live fluffy life with character that was formerly count as villainess boss." :blobnosebleed:

Melina Red and Moonpearl like this.