Discussion Things you don't like in novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by lighterxx, Oct 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    In a way they do. It's pretty rare for diseases to cross between species, if I recall my immunology classes correctly.

lighterxx and Blitz like this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it's quite rare. I kinda wanted to clarify it but felt keeping it short was funnier

lighterxx likes this.
  3. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can I ask what novel he left that review on purely so I can drop a like because that is one of the best reviews I've ever seen
    Edit: Shiiiiiiiiit I just found out that it got deleted shit how can such quality be removed in the face of this world?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    lighterxx likes this.
  4. zephyroths

zephyroths A Passingby Reader

Reading List:
    Link

I don't read CN Novels, but if that's not propaganda I don't know what is. Is it just a few of them or majority are like this?

lighterxx likes this.
  5. Innieminnie

Innieminnie Secret Parrot, Hidden Dodo

Reading List:
    Link
    Female MC who needs a man in her life that is more successful, powerful, and looks just as amazing if not more amazing than her! Nerfed Female MCs who's nerf is so that their man can save them and look more powerful! Misunderstandings of cheating to create drama! White Lotus MC that can do no wrong! Introduction of token Loli! Perverts! Forced marriage ending in a happy couple!

6. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    a majority of them are like that. Any novel with a modern or any setting at all that features our world that doesn't circlejerk China is highly likely to be good.

lighterxx likes this.
  7. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally, yes. I heard it's some kind of requirement to get their novels out there, especially if it is from current/future setting in the novel.

lighterxx likes this.
  8. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    No harem and healthy relationship I wish o.o

9. Avitue

Avitue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Er gen is usually monogamy or smaller harems

lighterxx likes this.
  10. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    so its healthy relationship? o_O

11. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    WHAAAAY AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKES IT RAW?! I MEAN, BEING CREAMPIED IS :blobdrool::blobdrool: joke XD

lighterxx likes this.
  12. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    I avoid harem because its really hard to choose who's gonna be your otp. Hmmm I don't like it when a novel becomes dragging, or when mc is a pussy. Or that a female character is always relying on the male character

lighterxx likes this.
  13. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate every trope.

lighterxx likes this.
  14. nevz091

nevz091 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    excessive romance and bad writing style also don't write paragraphs of 10 sentences please make it 5-6 it's unbearable to read

lighterxx likes this.
  15. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isekai is one but the mass murderer is another. Where the line is drawn between being an antihero and a flat out villain is hard to say. Even in Western publications, we have popular characters that are or might fall under "mass murderer" or "serial killer". Two that come to mind are Deadpool and James Bond.

lighterxx likes this.
  16. caffeinefocus

caffeinefocus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Miscommunication and misunderstandings caused by it-- so tired of reading these in romance novels but they're easier to take than the BS justifications of MCs for their acts that quite contradict their previous and future deeds and decisions, and just make them more of a hypocrite rather than the badass they are portrayed as. The last one is what I dislike the most. Selfish characters are far more interesting to read because you're able to see what really motivates them in their endeavors, even if these motivations do not align with your beliefs and morals. It's harder to do the same with characters who exhibit contradictory behaviors and just make you want to roll your eyes at them. Sadly though, I've gotten used to these (they're far too common not to) and my brain just automatically overlooks such situations. :blobexpressionless::blobsalt:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Sunspawn, lighterxx and novaes like this.
  17. maddox9

maddox9 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that's a major turn off for me and its present in 97% of novels with the exception of pure cultivation novel( novels where it begins and ends in the cultivation world not one where technologies exist and the mc travels to another universe he discovers cultivators or reincarnated). At first it might seem to be non existent but once the mc starts becoming stronger or powerful he will start praising China and Chinese people how Chinese girls and women are chastise pure and innocent how they are loyal and filial how other races are savages. This actually happened in one novel the mc says he can never marry any girl that's not from China but he goes ahead and starts having sex with an American girl regularly.

lighterxx likes this.
  18. lighterxx

Reading List:
    Link
    thats NOT HEALTHY AT ALL

it seems like no one in chinese novels communicate with each other like normal people :blobsalt:
    omg i also love the part they go "they were all blonde and blue-eyed but MC was tallest and most handsome without needing those" im like??? how unconfident you are to compare races :blobwoah:

firefox1234 and maddox9 like this.
  19. Neneee

Neneee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it when authors add unnecessary love triangles and drama seemingly just in order to prolong the novel... it gives me a headache honestly :blobunamused:

lighterxx likes this.
  20. Sunspawn

Sunspawn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd suggest to avoid the Wheel of Time. Jordan was a decent world-builder, but he really didn't know when to stop with the repeated descriptions.

Personally, the one trope I hate the most is this tendency of JP, but also KR, novels to have antagonists or just, for the lack of a better word, opponents that are basically paper-thin cutouts that serve only to glorify the protagonist. It's always "X walks in, acts like a retard that spent his youth in the looney bin, shittalks protagonist or his harem/flunkies, gets effortlessly dunked on by the protagonist, never returns to the story". So many of these stories use these mono-dimensional condoms to jerk the protagonist's awesomeness (always to the cheering of the readers, who probably project the bullies that tormented them on the baddies or something), often right after he pulled an ever-stronger power of some cosmic butthole - and what better way to show off the protagonist's undeserved prowess, than by using an expendable "character", amirite?

I hate this trope even more than the concept of harems, which can at least be written decently - this trope is literally a symptom of a shitty writer.

lighterxx likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.