LCD Throne of Magical Arcana

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by DeathStroke96, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Sleepy Deer

Sleepy Deer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The original discovery for the electron involved using vacuum tubes which should not be something outside of his ability to finance since the materials should definitely cost less than the rare magical items that sorcerers normally use and he can pretty much print money by writing a "new" symphony. Making it could be done by having two metal plates have a potential difference across them and heating up one of them to emit electrons. I have a picture to explain the general gist of it
    [​IMG]
    Experiments using this don't explain everything about an electron, but can be used to show that there exists a negatively charged particle in matter. You can look more into J J Thomson's work for a better understanding of what I am proposing. The main hurdles to making these experiments would be getting a stable heat source, a stable source of electric potential, and a making a near vacuum. The heat source can be made by heating up metal with current from an electric potential and I find it hard to believe he can't find electric magic to magic the potential difference. Creating a vacuum might be tricky, but there is probably someone who knows magic who he can pay to remove the air from a glass tube. With those things out of the way, he should be able to mimic the experiments done by people about a century and a half ago that lead to cathode rays and the discovery of the electron. I don't think the question is if he has the resources to do it, but if he knows how to. I don't know how advanced the knowledge in his library is. I think I recall it being before college level, but I am not sure what that means by the chinese learning standards. I think that should be enough to be able to figure it out through experimentation with what he has.
    Side note, I thought Lucien was supposed to gain more access to the library as his sorcerer level rose, but so far it has not mentioned anything about that now that he has hit level 2. Does anyone know what is going on with that?

2. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose it would depend on the quality of equipment needed. Glass period was expensive in that time, not to mention high quality glass that was both clear and capable of handling heat and pressure. Even if he managed it, I'm not sure how much good it would do him if he can't also figure out a way to count the electrons. After all, if he "discovers" them officially, then it won't take very long for someone to steal his thunder again. He could go ahead and postulate that each element had a specific number of associated electrons in order to preempt that sort of thing, but I don't know that he'd have a good enough basis for it, especially since he wouldn't be able to even begin to talk about shells.

Also, there's the problem that that experiment looks like it contains a lot of relatively advanced ideas about electronics. So the experiment itself would likely need various papers backing it up to prove that it proved what it was supposedly proving. It would also mean simultaneously inventing the lightbulb.

Yes, it was a college library, but anything beyond the high school level is currently blocked off. I'm not really sure that means much though when those high school level books contained the formula for nitroglycerin.

3. Sleepy Deer

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I have seen from their technology, they should be able to make the devices and understand what is happening with them. They did figure out light was an em wave which is far from a trivial understanding of electromagnetism. I don't see it being outside the realm of possibility for Lucien. Either way, I am looking forward to how people react to Lucien's periodicity of elements paper since the periodicity of elements is not an exact thing. On top of that, he added an intentional mistake. I could see people disregarding his results and only using them as note for being an inspiration for real works like they did with sonar. These people also seem to have a major problem if they can die from being wrong in arcana. I can't wait to see the massacre that one could cause by introducing relativity or quantum mechanics into their pool of knowledge. Considering even some of the inventors and innovators of those two fields could not totally believe they were real, it is not going to be a pretty sight. They just figured out light was an em wave, so they should not be too far off from trying to calculate its speed. That is when everything goes down hill. Will Lucien be able to save them all from themselves?

Lokumi likes this.
  4. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I stopped reading once I realized you were disusing ad-blocked chapters. If I remember, I'll respond once such things are no longer spoilers to me.

5. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    "again, periodic relation" This makes it sound like the MC's paper isn't the first on this topic.

I wouldn't really call it intentional mistakes. He did the best he could with the experiments he was able to do himself. Wildly claiming things to be true without any basis would just get his paper rejected.

The experiment to determine the speed of light doesn't actually require much technologically. As I recall, it's mostly just clever redirection of the light.

6. Sleepy Deer

Reading List:
    Link
    His intentional mistake was putting it in order of atomic mass and not atomic number. It makes sense that he did it since the concept of atomic number did not exist at the time, but it still is an error with respect to the correct theory. Lucien is going to be facing an uphill battle trying to further atomic study. Going by the real timeline, the next major advancement should be the discovery of the electron via cathode ray tubes. That or Brownian motion if they have not discovered that yet. The second one is not as obviously connected though. As an aside, does anyone else find it strange that people are having a debate about whether magic is made by matter or waves? That is a question that should only come from quantum mechanics normally when the two theories become in opposition.

7. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd still say that it's not a mistake. Atomic number is based on neutron count as I recall, and it was specifically stated that he had no way of proving the existence of neutrons, much less counting them.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    If he's really so disappointed by the paper's reception, then he should either use the table to find a new element, figure out a way to discover and count protons/electrons and correct the table, or correct one of the elements that have the wrong mass.

9. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    the currency system please?

10. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad he realized that a letter wasn't enough.

I wonder if the MC will be invited to speak at that conference everyone keeps talking about. It seems unlikely for practical reasons, but they keep mentioning it.

11. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    lol im on chapter 191

"Lucien Evans X"

Professor X :cookie:

jacobpaige likes this.
  12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Leandro is going to have to crawl in front of the MC at some point in the future, assuming he’s even able to push past his sense of humiliation to be in the same room as the MC.

I wonder if the guy from Common Arcana will manage to find a new element in time to adjust his paper to include it.

Haiku575 likes this.
  13. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Mr. Woods is going to have to get a bit creative with his memory of why he didn't publish Lucien's paper if he wants to keep his job ;)

I wonder if that guy that demanded a bribe will have the decency to return it after whatever bonus he'll get for "discovering" Lucien's paper. Also curious what, if anything, will happen to the other people that shot down his paper without really looking at it, and if he'll be better compensated for the paper than the pathetic amount he was granted originally.

14. Sleepy Deer

Reading List:
    Link
    This novel is not like the stereotypical xianxia novel were anyone who ever stood in the way of the mc gets ruined. It also makes sense in this case since the people who made the mistake made an honest mistake and had no evil motivation. I am more interested in how the necromancers think of Lucien after his paper makes the rounds. They still think that he is a student of the Professor. At the very least, his notoriety should make them step off him for a bit.

15. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on the people in charge really. Some are quite reasonable, others, not so much. Though I do agree that this series tends more towards the reasonable side of things.

I think the necromancers will think he's the Professor's protege or something. As for backing off, I doubt they will without the active intervention of the Will of Elements.

16. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    300 arcana is for what arcanist level again? anyone remember the chapter that mention it

17. Sleepy Deer

Reading List:
    Link
    According to chapter 186, 300 arcana points is the amount required for a level 4 arcanist.

jacobpaige and Haiku575 like this.
  18. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    He really should have mentioned Mr. Woods when he started the experiment with the Flashes. Presenting it the way he did will make many people think that it was his experiment until Woods' paper gets published. By then, most of Woods' thunder will have been stolen. True, most of that thunder was borrowed from Lucien, but it was still his, and he deserved it for having proven Lucien right.

That aside, how is Lucien's paper already published? I thought it was supposed to go out at roughly the same time as Woods' paper.

19. Ironfist Sect

Ironfist Sect Catch these hands!✊✊

Reading List:
    Link
    Loads of people about to cite his work and he just watch the cash roll in
    Dont make anymore mistakes dude.

20. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    I was too bored, and this series is too good *sigh*

I’m glad that the people in charge were so willing to admit that they (or their subordinates) were wrong, and that people didn’t instantly latch on to the naysayers’ point of view. I’m really looking forward to both the reevaluation and the number of papers that will eventually site his.

You can tell Leandro won’t make it far in the world. He’s far too lacking in adaptability.

Ah, so the edition of Element at the conference was an early copy rather than an official release. I was wondering why it was published so soon.

I assume Eric was the guy that took it upon himself to reject the MC’s paper when he had absolutely no authority to do so? I honestly can’t remember.

It was pretty magnanimous of the MC to re-write history for the people that made fun of him. It’ll probably help him a lot in the future.

I wonder if the Holm Crown Prize is awarded at regular intervals, or as a response to major breakthroughs like his. If the former, I wonder if he'll get the prize for his periodic table, or if he'll come up with something else between now and then. It sounded like he wanted to uncover the internal structure of atoms next.

Also wondering if anyone else in the country's history has managed to surpass their sorcerer level by two arcanist levels before.