Time Manipulation in VR novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MourningMoon, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MourningMoon

MourningMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now that I think about it, with a bunch of VR novels having the concept where the flow of time can be adjusted in the VR world so that it can either be slower or faster compared to RL, wouldn't that essentially mean you can have all the time you want?

I mean this is pretty much the DBZ hyperbolic time chamber minus the actual body training and that you aren't actually doing anything in RL. Instead if you can adjust the time flow to whatever you want, you can either basically slow down time in VR so that time in RL passes by faster (in case of a boring day with nothing to do...or skip to a certain date you want, Feb 14 for Persona 5 anyone?) or speed up time in VR so that time in RL passes by slower (haven't completed your homework and its due in the next few hours? No problem! Jump into VR and make it so that 1 day in VR = 1 hour in RL, finish your homework in VR then just copy it in RL once you're done!...unless you actually have to craft something in RL then you're kinda screwed. Otherwise maybe take all the time you want to help cure cancer or something?)

So yea all that aside, just wondering what you guys would do? Or what the we COULD do with this kinda thing?

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  2. hifumi

hifumi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    remind me of accel world "cheat"

3. Lineage

Lineage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ill probably read more novels if that is the case as i cant always read except on my day off..

AkeShiro likes this.
  4. etloth

etloth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The brain has to be capable of withstanding that though. That's why they limit the time it equals to in real life.

5. Avrnea

Avrnea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    catch up on all the novels/anime/manga/games that's been stocked up in a few minutes~

AkeShiro likes this.
  6. Cryarc

Cryarc 『Procrascinating Illustrator』

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem is none of those novels describing the side effects from doing so, what I learned from Kyubey is don't believe in sweet temptation without any backlash. Who can guarantee that diving VR with forcefully making your brain works thousand of times harder than usual won't cost your body something in the future?

Deleted member 32451 and Nimroth like this.
  7. Obsoleete

Obsoleete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fast forward until all novels are finished, then read them all. Hint hint - ISSTH

8. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Having time manipulation and not just about everyone playing VR in the novel's world is the stupidest thing ever.

9. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember in those VR novels, the reason that time goes faster or slower was due to something messing around with their brains and making the thinking process speed up or slow down. But wouldn't the brain have a limit, I mean if you mess around with your brain too much, high chance there will be lasting side effects...

Deleted member 32451 likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Mufarasu

Mufarasu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^This.
    Granted, this is just wistful fantasy because we have no idea how time dilation in VR will actually work. Plus, it gives authors a cop out on why the MC is gaming 24/7. In my view, even if you're "sleeping" in VR the machine would still be sending a very direct stimulus to the brain to indicate that you're "sleeping", and the brain can only take so much constant stimulus even if you spend time in a pseudo-sleep state.

But yeah, I'm pessimistic about it. I can just image people working like 48+ hour days every day.

12. Aternus

Aternus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This makes me so sad I'll be dead before anything like this can happen :(

Anyways there is probably a limit. A limit most people wouldn't want to waste on boring stuff. Alternatively I guess everyone in the universe would do everything in VR that they could they just gloss over it as the author doesn't want to deal with all the logical flaws such a situation can bring.

13. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    remember having a long dream... and then finding out you only slept a few minutes? probably something like that.

that wouldn't translate into vr though- client synchronicity issues.

asriu likes this.
  14. Chamber

Chamber Mecha Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's sleep in VR then lol, although, I'm not sure how VR will fare with sleeping since sleeping is being 'unconscious' and would not be affected by thought speed acceleration.

15. Deleted member 37987

Deleted member 37987 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you really think it'd work?

16. MourningMoon

MourningMoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While you do make a point, I was just talking about how things work in the VR novels, never said a thing about if this was possible. Same thing to all the comments about side effects on the brain or how the brain works. Because in the ones I've read it seems that the ones behind the VR stuff can easily adjust the flow of time in VR without any problems or repercussions. This is a fictional setting after all, who knows what kind of thing could exist in there that solves these problems or that the problems don't exist all together become of something else.

17. craBebe

craBebe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I know that I've had dreams where I've experienced upwards of an entire day of activity within the span of 30 minutes to an hour during a nap. And if you consider that the actual "dream" cycle of sleep is a pretty small part of the entire sleep cycle, I could see this technology becoming viable when VR becomes an actual thing.

However, then you run into the whole dream vs. reality conundrum where people are having trouble distinguishing between the dream world and the real world.

18. Cryarc

Cryarc 『Procrascinating Illustrator』

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead because it's fictional I choose to be wary, who knows when the author suddenly write a chapter that players across the world become unconcsious because of the side effect? Unless the author purposefully cut his/her own way out from retconning and clearly states in the beginning of the VR introduction that it's guaranteed to be harmless...

Though if it really does possible I think I will be spending times playing around or reading books until everything becomes boring and then despairing after that since I have nothing to do IRL... or maybe after I log out after long time immersing in VR I'll become a soulless husk and go insane 8'D

19. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    holt shit I wish I had that cheat... taking exams would reduce so much stress D:

20. RR Vocaloid

RR Vocaloid RoyalRoad.com Slepragt

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleeping in VR does nothing but reduce your mental fatigue. The processes that occur during sleep are both physical and mental. The physical processes wouldn't be completed and you'd suffer from sleep deprivation while your mind is tricked into thinking you've had plenty of sleep, causing all sorts of issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.