Recommendations Time Travel without limitations

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Cosmic_, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    You'd think time travel would be the ultimate cheat, but most time loop, save and load, or time leaping stories have some kind of consequence or limitation or side-effect from the time traveling itself.

In the case of the time loop or limited time leap type stories there's usually a forced or inescapable savepoint. For example, Re:Zero where Return By Death won't allow for a complete do-over from the very start. Or that the time leap is only up to 24 hours into the past like in Time.Travel() from RRL. There's also the side-effect part like the user's body will take a blow or their lifespan will decrease. Then there are the consequences like Time Police or Time Wraiths. There's also the cases of time paradox destroying the universe, erasing the user, or causing overlapping timelines or disastrous butterfly effects.

I'm looking for something(asian novel, rrl, original, english novel, manga, anime, etc.) where the MC has the power to time travel, preferably the time leaping/looping kind or the save and load with multiple saves type, where there are no limits, side-effects, overlapping leaps(so no two versions at the same time/place instead I want the send memories to the past kind of time leap), time enforcers, time paradox, or consequences from the time traveling itself.

Here's the important note: I'm fine if the MC has to go through hardship and psychological struggles to succeed or save everyone. I just want it be limitations being in the MC him/herself and not the time powers. I want it so that there exists the potential, ability, and possibility of saving everyone or "getting a perfect score" if the MC tries enough times.

I'm looking for more NEET with Dating Sim, and less Top Quality Beauty Cultivation System. I'm okay with maybe one kinda like the early good parts of Absolute Choice. More Groundhog Day the movie. Also NOT looking for a RE:Zero or Mother of Learning which has multiple time traveling people (just want MC to be unique). Also NOT looking for any time loop tragedy like My Fiance is in Love with My Little Sister or storys like Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria which focus more on theme than action, comedy, entertainment, romance or slice-of-life.

PS: Is Reverend Insanity good? What type and how frequent is the time leaping?

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Does mother of learning count?

Cosmic_ likes this.
  3. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    shianthiestrada, Reyrey and Cosmic_ like this.
  4. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm already aware of it and enjoying it. It's just that it's not the kind of novel I'm looking for as I don't want a time traveler story and more of a story where the MC is the only one time traveling.

Ddraig likes this.
  5. MaxxMukesh

MaxxMukesh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  6. Jellyfish 00

Jellyfish 00 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    looks like i didnt read the post properly

so this one, its a oneshot tho
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/maria-from-hell/
    its a tragedy but it does have a hope, chance of fixing everything given enough tries

edit : also whats up with time loops and the name maria?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    lolilolinepu and Cosmic_ like this.
  8. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    I've either already read or am reading but taking a break on those stories. They are also more second chance (one time) than time travel (multiple).

Already reading and mentioned in the post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2018
  9. MaxxMukesh

MaxxMukesh Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you recommend me some second chance stories.

10. Endo

Endo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Steins;Gate
    Reverend Insanity is good, but the time travel is full blown limited (need recharge) and as of now he only use the time leap in Dead End situation because using the power is a pure gamble

Cosmic_ likes this.
  11. Moertem_Equinox

Moertem_Equinox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading this manga
    Saike Mata Shite Mo
    The mc uses his power for good

Cosmic_ likes this.
  12. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are quite a few time travel novel / reincarnation novels out there where the protag goes back to a younger state with knowledge of the future usually some VRMMORPG type game with all the usual tropes that are associated with that theme.
    Then there are the high fantasy types with that betrayed mage going back in time theme.
    The biggest problem with all these novels is the butterfly effect isn't properly looked at, at all, just some event happen faster / earlier and that's it.

Daresan and Cosmic_ like this.
  13. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, here are some good ones imo:
    The Human Emperor (really good and less of your typical fighting and cultivation CN as there is some management and politics which is really nice)
    I am the Monarch (This is what you are looking for in a great KR with use of future knowledge)
    I Reincarnated For Nothing (Same author for Everyone Else is a Returnee, not a typical second chance, but just enjoyable)
    God of Music (One of the best modern day KR novel imo and enjoyable career management type novel)
    God of Cooking (KR, cooking shows have never been this good)
    Dungeon Hunter (Completed KR, and kinda same feel as novels like KRs King of the Battlefield and Master Hunter K)

You need to get into female MCs, if you haven't. They are so much more badass than typical male CN protagonists.
    Reign of the Hunters (good VRMMO type CN)
    Space and Rebirth: The Favored Genius Doctor and Businesswoman (currently one of the new editors so shameless rec, PM if interested as the old chapters are gone on NU)

A cute one to heal:
    The Results From When I Time Leaped to My Second Year of High School and Confessed to the Teacher I Liked at the Time

Bold are must reads.

You should also explore different similar types of novels like transmigration second chances that are with a different soul (Divine Doctor: Daughter of the First Wife) or one's where the MC is in a world that turned out to be the same as a game they played (
    My Death Flags Show No Sign of Ending) or the future vision (Top Management)

0000000 likes this.
  14. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    +1
    Although the plot does kinda centre around the time-travelling texts (the MC has the unique ability to remember the original timeline when the timeline shifts, and they later gain the tech to send his consciousness back in time, rather than him being at the same place in time but the past changed without him really knowing where or how) causing negative butterfly effects, which you said you didn't want, but there is also a time jump loop (unspecified quantity, implied hundreds) that's just him trying to rectify the consequences.

15. Cosmic_

Reading List:
    Link
    Happy end?

16. jinxs2011

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. It's an anime, btw, not a novel. You should watch it. Everyone should watch it. It's really good.

17. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Little Buster!!- recommend reading the VN version
    Rewrite- also recommend VN version where MC experienced different thing in different timeline ultimately accumulating in a single point and branching off to the survivable ending of earth
    Stein Gate- Trapped in a loop while fixing trouble to a timeline where result is acceptable, also reccomend the VN version

Well if you want Comedic time travel then
    Natsu no Arashi - Anime

18. jinxs2011

Reading List:
    Link
    BTW, the reason most stories have limitations or consequences to the time travel is because it's (more) realistic... Any change to the past, no matter how minuscule, bears the risk of butterflying out in such a way that stops the person traveling back in time, thus creating a paradox. I don't know if physics people have found out exactly what consequences that would have, but among the less dramatic ones I can think of are the timeline shifting in such a way that the time travel never would have occured even without the time travel stopping it, or simply erasing the offending time-traveler from existence and mending the timeline around him.

And if you travelled to the future and back, the same might happen - things you learned or took from the future would cause you to act differently, again potentially causing a butterfly effect stopping the time traveler from taking said information or object from the future. One novel I read, I have a mansion in the post-apocalypse, has the MC travelling between the past and the future. The distance in time he travels is fixed, so time that passes in one time passes in the other time, if you get what I mean. i.e, if you were able to travel 50 years from 2018 to 2068, and you spent a year in 2068 (then going into 2069), you would travel back to 2019, not 2018. Using future tech and modern produce (post-apoc world has little food) he gathers much power in both times. But it hasn't resolved the big plot hole of why that tech getting introduced decades or centuries earlier hasn't changed the timeline.

The only logical way I can think of time travel not risking a paradox every time it happens is traveling to the future - and staying there forever. And even then I may be missing something.

tl;dr, i'm no expert on the subject, but time travel would cause big problems.

19. CursedLight

CursedLight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really "without consequences/limitations" but excellent nonetheless.

20. CursedLight

CursedLight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another reason as to why time travel stories have limitations/consequences is that otherwise, it's generally (and i say again, generally) boring. What's the point if everything can be redone without paying something ?