Discussion TMW Quality Drop?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Aszure, May 10, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fggt4lyfe

fggt4lyfe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How am I trolling? How long a chapter takes to write doesn't determine quality. That's like saying Boyhood is a better movie than the Lego Movie because it took over 10 years to make as opposed to 3-4 years.

2. Data

Data Assuming Direct Control

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is we've been caught up for a while. And that was even before he came to this central region. I haven't felt anything off beforehand

Astaroth likes this.
  3. readingdigest

readingdigest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you objectively look at what this story had to offer so far, you would see that it's not so much as the quality has dropped, but that the quality hadn't been there since the beginning. What he had going for him were some cheap reaction chapters that get's reused time and time again. Tournament (kingdom selection) after tournament (freshman competition) after tournament (beast horde tournament) to tournament (tea session). There hasn't been a lot of attention spent on world building or the plot itself. This isn't hating on the author as much as the readership had set their expectations too high.

4. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, the other guy probably know that too, but you are measuring by exceptions, its valid to say that someone overworking could be aflicted with problems in their work. Its a single point, not saying he is right, but attacking what he said is wrong I think, you should use more finesse.
    [​IMG]

MadHatter likes this.
  5. Telden

Telden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    when did i said i wanted an original novel ????
    what I mean is that doesn't exist a large scale of original characters(mainly antagonists

6. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, this is an inherent problem that comes with web light novel.

Nobody in this world can write in a constant pace and expected to come up with brilliant writing 24/7 365 days a year. If a guy is aiming 2000 words per chapter and 2 chapters a day, that means hes writing 4000 words per day, in 100 days, he would have written 400k of words. To give you a perspective, harry potter order of phoenix was about 250k of words, and it takes JK Rowling a year to write, edit and publish.

So the system is flawed. If you are expecting something better, you are better off with normal novels.I for one think that I do get what I paid for, nothing more and nothing less. I can still enjoy this novel with its greatness and flaws. There might be a time where the flaws may outweigh everything *cough*PMG*cough*. But I wont stop until it gets there.

Data likes this.
  7. fggt4lyfe

Reading List:
    Link
    I wasn't attacking him per say, and I do apologize if it came out that way. I just wanted to make my own point and his statement had no qualifiers so I wanted to state a qualifier.

MadHatter and Shance like this.
  8. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not wrong. But time obviously still matter.

If the time is short enough then even the best author wouldn't be able to write his chapter because there wouldn't be enough time to simply type out the characters, even if he somehow didn't have to think anything about the story and just had to type it out there still wouldn't be enough time.

Now this is obviously not as extreme, but at the same time this author is also a real person who do have to think about what he writes. 2 chapters every day means a whole lot less time. That's some 30 hours to write two chapters every day, without losing sleep, at best. And we can be almost certain that there's other activities besides simply sleeping and tending to daily needs...

And now add in the recent health issue and the qidian meetup thing, there isn't any time to make up for those delays, but he still has to push out content.

Again you're not wrong in that more allowed time doesn't necessarily mean better quality, oftentimes it's actually the opposite because people get so unproductive and entitled that the time spent working is even less than otherwise, but that's more about projects spanning at least weeks or months.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    MadHatter likes this.
  9. han2xiah

han2xiah [NightDweller][MoonlightScavenger][Li'lCrazy]

Reading List:
    Link
    That because as you can see the shen tu clan is after not only after lin xintong but also her big sis. Even if nantian died shen tu clan will still persue big sis and be refined. Now wearing a mask giving them problem is a big plus to delay them on focusing to the desolate clan, without them knowing who he is, now they will focus solely in the union of lin and shentu clan if the alliance is build the desolate race will be in big trouble along with big sis. Now tel me if he does not have a reason to build more enemies.
    You saying it like you have never read the previous chapters and did not think of any future development?

10. Data

Reading List:
    Link
    They already want to go after her. Why would they stop just because YY doesn't show up? They presume he's dead. They know that she's still alive. Doesn't change anything. I'm a bit confused. Can you please clarify?

They're not going to take him seriously. Especially with the way Thousand Hands Granny is acting

11. fggt4lyfe

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, and in the case of True Martial World, time is unfortunately a huge factor. My argument is based on the assumption that the author has a direction in mind, and sadly the author has said many times that this is pretty much a filler arc. In my opinion, this arc is more of a solution to a plot point that he cunningly planted early on the in the story so that he could resolve it in a filler arc so he could appease the audience while he thought of an actual good arc. He just finished his biggest arc and needs time to figure out where he's gonna go from here, and remembered he still needed to solve Lin XIntong's problem, so he thought, "Let's make an arc dedicated to just her problem while I plan the next actual arc". It also doesn't help that the author is trying to appease his readers while writing so he's trying to make up for it by making more chapters so people don't yell at him more. But people are still yelling at him which I find unfounded and unfair.

Astaroth likes this.
  12. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I personally think that my main problem with TMW is a drop in the quality of the writing itself. The word choice and exact pathing/flow of his plot have suffered dramatically. I don't care about the pacing, I just wish that uncharacteristic poor writing went away

13. Data

Reading List:
    Link
    Aghh I really hope the good arc happens and that he's building up for it. Right now it seems like building up for a bit more time with these chapter ending off in a cliffhanger that I would have expected to resolve this last chapter

14. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that on the author or the TL / Editor's end though? From my poor understanding of Chinese they basically just write or say a bunch of adjectives and then it's up to the reader / listener to interpret what it's supposed to mean in context. So at least from what I understand Chinese -> English is much more about conveying the Author's intended message (including localization for jokes, puns and so on I guess) rather than literal translations.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Data likes this.
  15. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know whether it really dropped in quality or not. I'm lately just skimming through 'em from time to time. I simply didn't like where it was going with the war, annihilation of almost all people MC knew, his sister being from the Desolate race and all, though, since he was supposed to be gone for at least 6 years I could somehow foresee that something will happen with her either in that time or after. I also didn't like to keep reading about that Nantian hypocrite... and later we see that even Lin Xintong is connected to that guy and the people of her family(some of them) are actually stupid to such an extent that they don't even really ask for proof that he can fix her meridians or whatever, they just believe it.

Astaroth and Data like this.
  16. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more inclined to blame the author for this one. Most translators try to be as exact and as close to the author's literal translation. It would require serious change to the author's writing style to improve upon the current mess.

Astaroth likes this.
  17. Data

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't he only gone for 2 years?

Have to agree that Nantian is truly despsicable, but I need to see some ass-kicking to vent off my frustration.

I do agree that they should have asked to see the relic. I mean, they already had it refined. It's just that they HAD to believe it. Shen family wanted to tie the knot before anything.

Astaroth likes this.
  18. DarkArts

DarkArts ✫ First Ancestor of the Assassin Sect ✫

Reading List:
    Link
    He was gone for 2 years, but it was supposed to be 6 years, no? I think there were 6 years, each of 2000 cultivators in the Divine City if I recall correctly. He was there only for about 2 years because things took the war route and everything...

Astaroth likes this.
  19. ABMAINA

ABMAINA ★☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    Lately The Writing Has Just Seemed So Predictable... I Mean Seriously, I'll Read A Chapter And Before I Finish I'll Correctly Guess What'll Happen Not Just In The Chapter I'm Reading But The Next 2-3 Chapters That'll Soon Come Up... The Main Good Point About TMW In The Beginning Was That Even Though The Author Used Well Known Cliches, They Had An Added Twist Or Two Which Made The Story Feel Fresh Unlike These Recent Chapters...

shade0180 and Astaroth like this.
  20. Data

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh you meant at the Divine City time limitation. I thouht you meant how long he was at the Divine City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.