Total war arena closed beta is out!

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Bunseth168, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Bunseth168

Bunseth168 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So anybody played total war arena yet? I know the folks from wargaming (who owned world of tank, warship, warplane) worked with CA in total war arena so the f2p formula should be similar to their other games.
    I am currently downloading but I would like to know what factions there are or anything that is important I should know.
    For some reason, my internet stuck on loading whenever I tried to enter their site recently o_o

2. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The devs went back on their promise to do no more progress wipes twice already (first time they justified it by 'totally changing new player experience', second time by migrating from steam to wargaming which supposedly made them unable to carry over database). I don't recommend playing until official release, you'll be forced to re-unlock everything from scratch after the next wipe if you do.

3. chillo

chillo NUF BioTerrorist

Reading List:
    Link
    probably can't play from here.

4. domon

domon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    share the download link please

5. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    When is the release date? And I don't mind grinding again if something went wrong since I am a freebie ;3

6. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    what game is that?

7. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No date yet, the problem about grinding is the time it takes though, after tier 7 it gets ridiculous (unless it got rebalanced in the time I haven't played).

8. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    https://totalwararena.com/
    :v then go the download page. It will download a platform like steam (except it is for wargaming games) then well, you know what to do next

domon likes this.
  9. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Total war is a RTS +TBS game. However the total war arena is a RTS MMO game. Google it

10. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    So does all of their games but hey, grinding in these type of game is fun. :v just like those wot players who reach tier 9, their skills and experiences are fearsome

11. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It can be fun, having your progress wiped despite promise it won't happen after grinding isn't though.

12. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    But I am playing for free so progress that I put into for fun seem unimportant. I am not a completionist. I just want to play :3 I almost lost count restarting in Path of exiles, pillar of eternity, EUIV, world of tank. (Don't know why I like restarting, perhaps I want to impress female friends thinking I am a talent newbie ;3 *wink wink*)

13. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, the early tiers are quite boring with limited unit variety (it's a little better now than it used to be).

By the way, be careful with friendly fire. Unlike in standard total war games, things like charges and pike phalanx can friendly fire in arena. Pike phalanx especially can melt an allied unit in seconds if not used carefully. Archers from different units may also friendly fire one another if those units are 'stacked' and stacked cavalry archers will wipe themselves out in a couple of volleys. Deployables like caltrops will friendly fire too.

14. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait! There is even melee friendly fire?! I thought friendly fire applied only on range units and traps

15. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Regular melee can't friendly fire, charges and pike phalanx can and will. A lot. Some special actions (commander specific) will friendly fire too.

16. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...quite different from the rest of the total war series. You think it is good thing or not? I think it is just...dumb

17. Antares

Antares Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The charges aren't that bad (their damage is scaled down on friendly fire so they'll mostly just knock a few allies down), but pike phalanx can be really annoying when your teammate or a routing unit decides to walk into it. Will instantly push your score into the negative. It's also a problem when you're trying to 'sandwich' an enemy unit using the pikemen as the anvil while something else charges them from the back.

Ranged troops damaging units standing close to them is pure nonsense though. It's literally the case of firing into the back of an ally standing 1 meter in front of you. Thankfully it tends to only happen with ranged cav and not with foot archers.

Caltrops and stakes should definitely be marked more visibly when placed by allies.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Bunseth168 likes this.
  18. Bunseth168

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank for the advise i will start butchering people now muahahahah