Question Translating with MTL?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by KiraYamato, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KiraYamato

KiraYamato Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was wondering how do some translators translate their novels MTL? I have been reading some Chinese web novels and at the end of every chapter they state that it's translated with MTL.

2. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    If you wanna do it then prepare for accuracy to be around 40% to 60% and to spend LONG hours...

3. corvax

corvax Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guessing that they take a translator such as google translate and translate from its native language. Then with grammar skills and basic knowledge of the culture/language revise it to make it readable in English.

4. AnarchyOtaku

AnarchyOtaku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good MTLers use a few different translating programs at once to try and get the best translation possible without actually knowing the language. Some go sentence by sentence or character by character, then use a lot of English editing to make the reading flow better. MTL often takes a lot longer to translate a chapter versus conventional TLing. The main problem with MTL is that a lot of the finer details get lost, like the expressions of emotions through the text, which often times makes the MC or other characters seem like wooden dolls.
    \

5. Way

Way Crimeless Raubritter

Reading List:
    Link
    MTL is pretty shoddy and is more of an possibly inaccurate (read: brain microwaving) "interperation" (read: eye acid) than a translation, expecially when used in novels that have the slightest bit of complexity in them imo

But about your question, MTLers spend long hours using translating software, with more those more skilled having found a perfect combo of software, and then they touch it up to make it less brain-cell killing.

I have to say, some MTLers can really do an admirable job at making thing more comfortable to the eyesthough , despite my misgivings of mtl in general.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  6. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    well for my personal opinion is, MTL is incomplete translated text like we translate it with google translator or similar application..
    then translator who use MTL is having job to editing this incomplete translated text to become more comfortable when we read it..
    then here come editor, they edit afteredited MTL from translator to make sure the grammar is perfect for reader..

well its just my opinion for team who use MTL, bcz i have read incomplete MTL from chinese pirate site using google translator..
    i can undertand it plot story about 20-40%.. it makes me dizzy but bcz my curiousity i'm forcing to read it until last chapter..

btw, chinese novel is more comfortable to read using MTL.. at least 20-40% we can understand its story.
    but when i try JP novel, its hard to understand.. maybe google translator is bad for it and there's special app for MTL Translator use.
    but i dont know!

7. Yuma

Yuma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just try systranet or baidu for chinese forget google translator

perapera may also help if its something short

BLfanaticc and korathan skala like this.
  8. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    mtl is only a tool to give the translator the basic meaning of a sentence and to give a dictionary definition of the words. then context clues are used to form a working sentence in english. It gives the basic direction, then using the mecab function of translation agg to look at the romanji to sound out the words and to scroll over the words with the mouse to look at the definitions for clarity. The auto translations can only do so much. It is a tool, but the rest depends on how it is used. I also use the wikitionary to search individual kanji because the mecab to romanji function is not perfect and it may give something that sounds wrong. Never only use one resource since one resource may be wrong. Research is very important. sometimes you have to research name origins since it is in katakana and is a literal pronunciation of a word from its original language or a shortened version. Sometimes they are references that need to be looked up. Most of the time for me, I only use it to get the romanji so that I can read it aloud since I have watched so much anime over the years.
    It may make things easier, but it is no reason to be lazy. there are good ones and bad ones.

9. DarwenGwein

DarwenGwein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I sort of straddle the line of MTL<->True Translation. I had a summer semester of Japanese before browsing Tofugu and Tae Kim's guide, learning what characters and endings denote Adjective, Noun, or Verb Phrases, first and second objects or obliques, and such.

Then, rather than actually learn vocab, I keep all those tabs open for review, click on chrome's Rikai-kun(chan?) applet, and scroll through each line putting together it's meaning. It works beautifully until I get to shorthand, casual speech, puns, etc. In the end, I think my translations turn out decent (though it's obvious I favor one of my projects over the other...)

There's a similar applet for reading Chinese on Chrome, though I don't recall the name, so this approach would probably work similarly for the folks translating those stories as well. You just have to spend a few days jumping into the nitty gritty of the language's grammar. That's actually my favorite part though (vocab sucks!), so I might be biased in favor of this approach.

10. Morvian

Morvian 『Weakened King』『Abandoned Man』『Man Of Culture』

Reading List:
    Link
    well after comparing result translating between systranet and google translator.
    i kinda like google more, systranet make my forced reading more dizzy, just understand 10-25 %.. sorry!

11. AHKoT

AHKoT [FA sect] [2nibyou] [ReverseEpi] [Htrap]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope don't use Google. NEVER YOU HEAR? You might suffer permanent brain damage

12. anhrefn

anhrefn [NTR Sect Leader]       [True Ancestor]

Reading List:
    Link
    if you don't mind your brain becoming a potato, you can read it

13. Solus

Solus 自分のことお嫌いです

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I partial MTL my projects :3

I take apart paragraphs, translating sentence by sentence.
    Then make the online translators read it out for me in Chinese and Cantonese.
    For keywords that I don't understand, I use online chinese dictionary XD

14. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Necro. Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.