Question Transmigration plot

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by IamSweetPotato, Mar 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IamSweetPotato

IamSweetPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi. Just a newbie here.
    Here are some questions before I get down to business.

What's your favorite transmigration novel?
    What made you get hooked on?
    What are its strenghts and downsides?

Honestly, I've read many reviews on many transmigration novels here on NU. What I've noticed so far are these similar points. First, the MCs' death in modern world. Second, lack of information about their lives before they transmigrated. Third, entering the bodies of weak and "waste" daughters of elite families. Fourth, a dramatic change in character and abilities that stun the family and the kingdom. Fifth, male leads falling for them and going crazy. Sixth, their vengeful and ruthless nature. Seventh, their OP abilities.

Taking these elements into account, don't you think the stories are quite redundant? I don't know about you guys, but I prefer reading transmigration novels with realistic MC. Some of these are To Be A Virtuous Wife, 8TT, Rebirth of An Abandoned Woman and Chongfei Manual. The MCs don't possess any special and OP abilities. What they have as weapons are their beauties, charms and intelligence. They do get even and settle old grievances, but not in unrealistic way. Their methods are cunning and clever, but there is no power used, just their brains. I love MCs like them. They are very relatable and as a woman, I can learn many things from them. So, yup. Those types of transmigration novels are my cup of tea. What's yours?
    Please enlighten this newbie and shed some light on transmigration novels that you'd like to recommend or to justify. My knowledge on transmigration novels are very limited since I often skip novels with those seven elements present. Thank you!

Fuyuneko likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And on that pink note:
    Release that Witch

Male MC, and a perfect story for you.

3. IamSweetPotato

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll go check it once I'm done with the one I'm currently reading ^_^

juniorjawz likes this.
  4. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know fam. You talking mainly about the novels with a female MC, which is fine, but they mainly have just those two extremes. Personally i just like when it has an MC that slowly gains power through cultivating. Like in ROTF, DE, or others like them. No matter if they used to be an expert in the past or not, if they get too OP too quickly i lose interest.

IamSweetPotato likes this.
  5. IamSweetPotato

Reading List:
    Link
    Exaclty! Like the moment they open their eyes, they are suddenly super strong! That kind of character development is way too dramatic and it is natural some readers will lose interest. One of the things I want to see is the character development that isn'y rushed.

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  6. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    Right. I mean you cant have an MC that's a pushover, but in a situation like that at least give them some time to adjust and shit. Maybe make them freak out a little. I would, i would totes be freaking out for at least a few minutes before falling in a state of mild depression. I'm fine with them being talented, or even just hardworking, but that's mainly it. When they are instantly OP though it takes a lot of the drama away, which i love. Drama, that is. If done right it can really pull you into a story, but done wrong and you just cant get into it. Then there are other things like them getting heavenly treasures, which just feels a little annoying to me despite loving many stories that have the element. Because it makes things a bit boring, the effort the MC puts in that much more meaningless since they ride on the coat tails of the treasure. If a story

7. IamSweetPotato

Reading List:
    Link
    Exaclty! And we seldom see their adjustment to their new bodies and new era! It's unreaslitic when they assimilate so quickly! Not only that, but also they even learn the cultures, the language (ancient language) and the ways of life of that era in a couple of days. I am not sure, but maybe trnasmigration is quite a popular trend in China these days.

8. Gawd

Gawd Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Silly Alchemist
    Death March (this one is actually transported to another world but since he gets a new younger body i also put it in here)
    Kuma, Kuma, Kuma Bear
    Mr. Nobu's Otherworld Chronicles
    Yuusha no Furi mo Raku Janai–Riyuu? Ore ga Kami dakara (this is also transported to another world)
    Shikkaku Mon no Saikyou Kenja~ Sekai Saikyou no Kenja ga Sarani Tsuyoku Naru Tameni Tenseishimashita~
    Hakai Me no Yuuri
    The Death Mage who doesn't want a fourth time.
    Summoned Slaughterer
    Alice Tale in Phantasmagoria
    World Teacher

These are some of my favorites, yes they almost all contain OP MCs but they are mostly like regular people with POWER just trying to live a decent life in this otherworld. about the only trope that you dont like in most TMNs that is present is op-ness of the MC. Oh and Alice Tale MC isnt really all that OP while Hakai me no Yuuri the OPness backfires spactacularly putting the MC into a kind of living hell for a while

Also from the way you describe it, seems to me that you mostly read the novels translated from Chinese try Korean and Japanese. I have no idea why all the CN authors seem to create over the top kill-kill-kill MC's and have them reincarnated as "Wastes" but its much more prevalent in CNs than any other language. i tend to shy away from CN altogether except for stuff from I Eat Tomatoes just because i dont like how the entire society they seem to always make is so full of hate and rape.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  9. IamSweetPotato

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. You got me there. So far, I have only read Chinese ones. Chinese plots do use a lot of extreme elements like bloodshed, revenge, rape and all. Since we are all from the modern era, there are things that we cannot simply comprehend and take lightly. I'll check those you suggested out. They seem pretty interesting and cool. Arigatou ^_^

10. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    you know it just occurs to me: They keep the memories from the original person of that body. So that may explain the way they learn the language and culture, but the way they immediately act calm and controlled is just unrealistic like you said. But there's another point i am also often wondering about on the topic of transmigration. Which is exactly whether they are ACTUALLY transmigrated or just reincarnated. Because usually for transmigration the original guy dies, and some entirely different soul supposedly takes over. But i just wanna know if the "death" didn't just trigger the old memories.

Regardless, yeah i would assume its popular. For a number of reasons. Wishfulfillment being one. Not bad, though, if done right. ATG is a really bad one regarding this. Know whats kinda sad tho? That parody/comedy oriented sort of stories about xianxia worlds are often a lot better than the more serious stories. Because those ones dont have a lot of the detriments you normally see. The plotholes, the unrealistic moments, are a lot less pronounced. It's easier to suspend disbelief. Whereas in the serious ones some of the things just fall flat. Which sholdn't be the case since you would expect them to be more thought out than that.

11. IamSweetPotato

Reading List:
    Link
    That's one thing I'm wondering about too. If the original owner of the body truly dies that would mean her brain will die too along with her original memories. But for the MC to retain the original's memories seems hard to believe. Reincaranation is about rebirth and being born again, right? Transmigration is about "inhabiting" the body of a deceased as a whole new persona. I only read a handful of transmigration novels with MCs not having any memories of the original.

ANother thing to point out is often than not, the endings are kind of rushed without covering the holes. I guess we can assume the writers "got lost" in the midst of the stories and ended up ignoring the holes. Comedy-typed indeed has well-planned storyline and you could hardly see anything uncovered. Also, they are lighthearted and not really full of angsty moments that piss the readers off such as myself. More than anything, I can't stand angsty moments that can be solved so easily, but the author choioses to drag it.

12. HoneyBee349

HoneyBee349 Idk

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of it I have lots of the first option, like you say I don't like the type of MC which become super strong in one month and just meet the ML crazy fail in love so maybe here I have some ones that you will like (not sure but you can try)

—Poison Genius consort: MC is a doctor with the title name a passion doctor... This novel in laws is complete and the translation is pretty fast, with this one I can ensure the MC really gave brains and this isn't like others transmigration when they meet ML crazy love, This ML at first is to get hate! But he is like a ice slowly slowly will melt only for her but it's take time to they know each other... (I'm too bad to explain) the case is when the MC take the first step towards him and start to make him notice her! And it's when he will open to she and will try to make her happy with that ice face.

—Genius Doctor Black belly elder miss
    Well the author have really a good brain to the plot the friendship and loyalty, but in love gods know who can help him.
    The author have three books, the first one
    —The good for nothing seventh miss:
    This one I really live the plot everything was perfect I really quite loved this story BUT the author really need to get brain to the romance but in others places is very good.
    The second books I have say it (Genius doctor black belly miss) although, compared with the first book the author give it more life to the love side... But for the MC and ML regards of what they are good!
    —The third book don't have translation, and this one is the most rich in both plot and love, take time to enter deeply in love and start very good with big imagination.

—Wife, Im the baby's father
    This isn't a book of transmigration, MC isnt strong, isn't smart, but this book have their own charm, the book have been finished and you can try it, will not feel regret. Really refresh things

—Gu Fang Bu zi shang
    Baby thus one is tragic! Till now I haven't finished the book even if the translation have been finished! I can't walk with this, after the 20 chapters my heart ache and can only rest to try continue, but this MC like you want isnt strong not martial arts only the brain and the eyes, she isn't a stunning beauty but have a stunning brain! (Oh, isn't transmigration ah)

—The cry of the Phoenix which reach ninth heaven: for this one is political situation, and us the most realistic I have read, this is transmigration in which the MC died and her soul go to her sister body, to revenge the King. The start is really sad I feel bad for MC really sorry for her to blinded by such a slag!

—Poisoning the World: The Secret Service Mysterious Doctor is a Young Beastly Wife: this one have stuff without logic, but the tragedy and misunderstanding there is like a sea of blood and tears, girls sometimes I can't stand. But the MC really but REALLY deservet the name of agent, she really like one no slag slag! Go around and check it...

—Bewitching Prince Spoils His Wife: Genius Doctor Unscrupulous Consort: although here the MC and ML know each other but the feeling start after for 100/300 chapthers, they go slowly and deeply, the MC really is a Gem! A rare gem, her tongue Tecnologia,
    Was really HIGH! Poison tongue she deserves the title is a campion... And let me say to you that she have justification for her hability, because she come from thousands year AGO so have justification and with her artifacts that later help her bussy (the artifac have logic isn't so magis like overnight Lord so don't worry) and the plot is exquisite.

I think that's all the good novels in my point of view. Try to check it later

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem with that is that in many cases they only have the memories but not the feelings and opinions of the original owner, even if they trigger memories of their old life it would be strange for them to just suddenly reject their current identity that they would have fully lived as for years.

Cupcake Ninja and IamSweetPotato like this.
  14. Maisike

Maisike Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My Disciple died yet again and My Master disconnected again. Both novels from the same author and also are parodies. Very fun novels, but there are sad moments netherless.

15. McNoodle

McNoodle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Favorite transmigration novel is Poison Genius Consort because of the character development of the two leads. I've read quite a few transmigration novels and find it really annoying like yourself when the two leads fall in love with each other for no rhyme or reason other than the fact that they're the leads and the author made them. This novel doesn't make me feel that way though and I freakin' love it. The FL is my CN novel girl crush because she's not out for blood, she's not OP, she's smart, she's clever, she expresses her love for her man and most of all she knows what she wants. The ML is also my fave ML because yes he is your typical cold, ice berg of a ML but the author gives us as the readers some insights into his mind and we are able to see that he's actually a really deep and devoted character. He's also effortlessly romantic and expresses his love and devotion to his waifu. :aww:After going through many adventures and trials together as a couple, their relationship changes from strangers to partners to loving couple and it's so beautiful! We get to read about their insecurities about themselves and how they work through those insecurities as a couple. To top it all off, they actually talk to each other and there are little misunderstandings between them. Otherwise, I love how the plot is well thought out and everything connects and makes sense as we move through the many arcs of the novel.
    I will say though that the one thing I hate the most about the novel is the fact that, like many other FL transmigration novels, there are little to no level-headed female characters aside from the FL. Most if not all of the females in the novel are in love with the ML and most if not all of the females hate the FL for no reason whatsoever. :blobunamused: There are at least 2 females in the novel who I'd consider good friends to the FL otherwise every other female is a brain dead, delusional, useless c*ntbag.
    All in all, I love transmigration novels with relatable FL's who aren't afraid to get what they want with ML's who listen, admire and truly try to understand their FL waifu's instead of feeling inferior to them. I would also check out Bone Painting Coroner and Return of the Swallow because they also have good character relationships with equally interesting plots.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  16. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    What's your favorite transmigration novel?
    i actually have a few on my list...all BL, these are my fav, there are others, but this ones are special
    The Rebirth Waste Strikes Back
    Cannon Fodder Cheat System
    Game Loading
    The Path of the Cannon Fodder’s Counterattack

What made you get hooked on?
    mostly cause there are System / Cheat in said transmigration, which can follow the MC all the time and i like powerful MC. Above list has the 'cheat' plot but only in knowing the story of original body. Transmigration is like having a second chance in another world, so i kinda like to know how MC will prevail with all his knowledge. Also multiple universe kept me out of boredom.

What are its strengths and downsides?
    Strengths are it is like having a second chance in another world, it's interesting. Multiple universe kept me out of boredom. The interaction between System and MC are funny. Powerful MC but still within arm length. Meeting and falling with ML all over again (in multiple universe).

Downside...the ones i read are still ongoing so in the multiple universe, if the MC already died in his original world, i kind of anxious about the final ending. The thing about choosing between this world or original world also kinda cliche. The instant falling in love have me disappointed sometimes. Please make effort ML!!!!

Let's Discuss!! :blobsmile::blobsmile:

The MC death in original world or lack info of their live in ori world --> in the novels that i read mostly the MC's death is optional as in they can revive if they can complete the task given by the system. and i also have read several with quick review of their ori life (at least one chapter showing their life before the transmigration)

i kind of like the plot where the MC didn't die and when all is over, he/she can meet the ML in his/her ori world...it gives me closure for the novel.

Entering the new bodies and has a dramatic changes --> it's a given in transmigration tbh, i rather prefer new body than unexplained same body appearance as in the ori world. i also have read where the bodies where the MC transmigrated is not a novel (great) body but instead it was fat or full of acne (this one the MC use the system cheat tho). I actually like how the author kept the MC most distinguish body part, like the shape of MC eyes or mole.

i welcome changes as long as it is still not too OOC. i prefer the gradually changes tho, like slowly becoming more confident or the fat original body was given exercise to become slim so the changes in character can be because of the changes in appearances. i dislike if they suddenly got too dramatic .

vengeful or ruthless and OP abilities --> well...if MC transmigrated to another body then the other body must have gone sth terrible that it can be swap with MC soul, the revenge is OK....but it stressed me when MC leisurely using killing method or even saying 'kill them' when it wasn't even in a mafia story!! there goes the same for ML. There are times where they are just some big corporate businessman and then all of a sudden a life was lost, like hold your brake there!!, is this still normal story mode?

for the OP abilities, i kinda like it if it was used to scheme plot for others (like hacking ability) or to help but dislike it if it was used to kill or hurt...do you want to be the villain?!?!

ML falling for them and going crazy --> um...if it was still within protecting parameter than it is OK. it's not going Yandere. Oh, it kinda ticked me when after meeting MC and being a couple, the ML interaction with others turn to be cruel, like giving glare, harsh words, etc. i don't want ML like that!!!

the thing i protesting is that some authors sometimes dismiss the courting process or shorten it and it makes me cry!! i wanna see MC getting court!!! the whole bouquet of roses, dancing in the moonlight/rain, candlelight dinner, etc i wanna see different kind of courting that were so sweet that makes my teeth fall out!!

The plot that got on my nerve is love triangle kind of thing and harem. whenever i read a third person with 70% chances of ruining the main couple, i'm like NOPE!!! DROP IT!! the same goes with other characters all falling in love with MC, hate it to the bone! then the cliche, MC can't choose between them, bla bla bla...argh! even thinking about it gets on my nerve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.