Discussion [Underrated series] Ar Tonelico

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Martialegg, Apr 9, 2020.

?

Have you played Ar Tonelico series?

1. Yes! I've played it in the past and I like it.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. Yes, but I don't think I like it as much as you. It's okay.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Nope. First time ever heard it.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. No, but I think I'm interested now. I'll try to play it if I had time.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. Martialegg

Martialegg [World's most powerful Egg] [HazyPrecise's Senpai]

Reading List:
    Link
    To date, I have yet to seen even 10 guys on the internet that have played Ar Tonelico :blobconfused:
    So, as a fan of the Ar Tonelico series, I'm in a mood to create a tribute in NUF xd
    I want to see how many of you actually recognize the game :blobthinkingsmirk:
    And, to promote the game if you haven't! :aww:

I won't talk much about the game to avoid spoiler. There are in total of 3 games of the series. There are other minor series such as Ar nosurge and some more, but it's hardly relevant for the general audience.
    I'll give you all three of the game's opening. Don't worry about spoiler, since it's spoiler free!
    Ar Tonelico: Melody of Elemia

Ar Tonelico 2: Melody of Metafalica

Ar Tonelico Qoga: Knell of Ar Ciel

Spoiler-free facts:
    - All three series are connected by plot, settings, and timeline. It is highly recommended to play it from the first.
    - Some characters of the previous Ar Tonelico series would appear in the next game. Including the enemies.
    - The Magic in Ar Tonelico series are essentially a song. The caster required to sing to cast magic.
    - Only girls are capable to cast magic. Boys can't cast magic, but has the ability to support the girls by synchronizing their feelings. Emotions between the two could empower the magic.
    - The purer/higher the emotion, the higher class of the magic. Love/positive emotions are the standard emotions, but hate/negative emotions could work in the same way, while has a powerful side effects.

If you recognize the game, leave a comment below to express your thoughts about the game!
    If you haven't played the game, tell me your impression from the thread!

Thx for reading. (y)

nyamachi likes this.
  2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    I only played the first 2 on an emulator, couldn't play the 3rd one, no emulator for that one. It's a fairly standard rpg with some crafting, dating and collecting elements. I liked it but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's underrated. Why do you like it so much?

Martialegg likes this.
  3. Silvania

Silvania Has returned to Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't played the games but I do enjoy listening to multiple songs from the series. It really is a pleasure listening to most of the songs.

Martialegg likes this.
  4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow it reminds me of a 3DS game whose demo I played, was bored enough to buy the game, but never got around to actually playing. Don’t remember the title, and don’t particularly want to search for my 3DS to figure it out...

Martialegg likes this.
  5. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I have a bit bias because Ar Tonelico is the first J-RPG that I've ever played. The main reason why I like it is because of the songs. It blew me away the first time I've heard of it. It is especially fitting because the characters are so engaging.
    I think it was also because the first time I've known the concept of dating simulator. At the time, I don't even know Dating simulator existed.

6. Dravde

Dravde Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Played all of em. Loved all of em. Did all the endings. I even have Platinum Trophy on the 3rd one. Great songs, nice art, nice story. The 3rd one wasn't as good as the other two but still good.

If I remember correctly the series has a sequal. At first it was some random dating sim on vita... I think it was Ciel Nosurge (japan only) and then a proper game Ar Nosurge. Haven't played them yet because I didn't have money at the time and I doubt I can find physical copies anymore. I collect physical copies =D

Martialegg likes this.
  7. Tsukkomi911

Tsukkomi911 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea playing first 2 and ar nosurge .The last one interesting tho, kinda spoiler but the character recognize that the MC controled by us(break the 4th wall thing) and try to break away the control from us. And before nosurge there another tittle unpopular called ciel nosurge(not rpg).

Martialegg likes this.
  8. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Literally never played the game but have played all the music a lot of times because Noriko mitose

Draconite and Martialegg like this.
  9. Kawalan

Kawalan 〚 Don't Stare 〛

Reading List:
    Link
    Never played the game but I have heard of it being from the PS2 era, though I find the plot and gameplay interesting it never really pushed me to play

Martialegg likes this.
  10. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    played 1 and 2. . .
    haven't touched 3 yet. . .
    but well. . .good game,

Martialegg likes this.
  11. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan loves Ar Tonelico. Cloche from Ar Tonelico 2 was Ai-chan's favourite. Kind hates Luca, though Ai-chan forgot why. Mir from Ar Tonelico 1 was Ai-chan's favourite from that game. Ai-chan prefers Ar Tonelico 2's battle system compared to Ar Tonelico 1's system. Ai-chan loved the game so much, Ai-chan could even read and speak Central Standard Dialect! New Testament of Pastalie still evaded Ai-chan's understanding by the time Ai-chan finished playing AT2 twice. New Testament of Pastalie is so grammatically weird and it shortened a lot of stuff.

Not a fan of AT3. While the plot is quite nice, the songs are... not as nice. Maybe because Akiko Shikata didn't have much involvement there. Ai-chan does like some songs such as Exec_Cosmoflips but that's probably because it was sang by Kokia. And also, the Cocona can't sing worth shit. All her songs are bad.

Ode To An Unborn Star from Ar Nosurge is really nice, though. Gives Ai-chan chills and when you consider the story behind the song, it just makes you cry. Ode To An Unborn Star is something like super prequel to Ar Tonelico, happening like a million years before the events of Ar Tonelico 1. The characters of Ar Nosurge are like the precursors of the gods in Ar Tonelico.

Martialegg likes this.
  12. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I have not played the game but the songs of this games are amazing.
    Fun fact - I found out about this series from the translated novels of the series on nu

Martialegg likes this.
  13. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't heard of this game before this thread but now I'm interested! I like the concept of magic being cast via song :3 Is it available on steam? Also, folks have mentioned emulators... sooo I take it this game is not available on PC...? :blobsweat:

Martialegg likes this.
  14. Martialegg

Reading List:
    Link
    You can only play it via emulator, yes. There is no direct install in steam, unfortunately. That said, It's not hard to find if you look it up on google. xD The 3rd Ar Tonelico Qoga is a bit tricky, since there is no PS3 emulator, but I think it's just a matter of time till someone created the emulation for it for free xD

nyamachi likes this.
  15. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! I'll check it out :3

Martialegg likes this.
  16. Madocchi

Madocchi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't played the games yet (mostly because of financial reasons), but I'm absolutely obsessed with the music, lore, and languages! I'm going to be honest and admit that I spend my free time scouring the lexicon to learn new words XD. It's always great to find other fans; I totally agree that you can't find even 10 people on the internet who know about AT sadly...