Discussion (UPDATE in post) Do you think it is okay for Chinese BL novels to be depicted as Chinese BG dramas?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BookwormADA, Jul 9, 2018.

?

Do you think it is okay for Chinese BL novels to be depicted as Chinese BG dramas?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2018.
  1. Yes

18.6%
  2. No

61.0%
  3. It depends

20.3%
  1. BookwormADA

BookwormADA Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I apologize for my poor English in advance. This is a long post so bear with me.

A lot of the Chinese dramas nowadays are IP dramas, such as Nirvana on Fire, You are my Sunshine, Legend of Fu Yao, Princess Agent, Princess Wei Yang, and the upcoming Legend of Minglan. The last few that I talked about all have to deal with either transmigration or reincarnation. Transmigration theme is banned in China and so a lot of these IP novels that have to deal with such theme have revised or completely new scripts for the drama depictions. Some people are okay with it and some people are not.

China's growing television industry is not the best. Princess Wei Yang drama was completely different from the novel and Princess Agent drama had a lot of shady-ness and corruption behind the scenes. Now that companies are also purchasing popular danmei (BL) novels, they are changing the romance into bromance and/or adding a female lead.

One of the most popular web dramas right now is "Guardian (鎮魂)" based off a danmei novel by the writer Priest.
    Here's the plot that I found online:
    "Zhao Yun Lan is the leader of the Special Investigation Department in charge of cases done by non-human beings. His real identity was a god at the same time as Nüwa but for certain reasons, was reincarnated to become a human being, without his powers. The other male lead is Chen Wei, a University Professor, known for his pretty looks and pink cheeks when teased by the other male lead. His real identity is one of the two Demon Lords. He has a sword which can slice and obliterate ghosts. As they solve crimes together, more of their history will be unraveled."​
    All the BL scenes are cut off and we get bromance instead. I can tolerate this since the web drama is very good, the plot is engaging, and the acting of the two male leads are superb.

But then there's the drama "Revive 重生之名流巨星" made in 2016 that turned the BL into BG. The main character fell in love with a female actress.

There are about 7-9 upcoming Chinese dramas that are based off of danmei novels and none of them are keeping the romance between the two male leads in. The casting for some of these include young/famous promising actors and actresses. I don't know all the names but the danmei novel "Founder of Diabolism" is being made into a 45 episode drama with a different name "The Untamed (陳情令)" starring Wang Yi Bo of UNIQ as Lan WangJi and Xiao Zhan of X-Nine as Wei WuXian. They have added an original character not in the novel as the female lead to pair with Wei WuXian. The drama looks promising and the two male actors are rising stars in China. But I am not sure how to feel about it because why not just make this a whole different drama rather than borrowing the name from a famous piece. I don't think they are respecting the author either but then, this may also give some danmei novel writers some recognition for their works. Ah the rage and ah the beautiful faces....

*also, no spoilers for FOD please. I'm still waiting for the novel to finish translating before reading it all at once.

TL;DR: A bunch of danmei novels are being made into BG novels. How do you feel? What do you think?

Edit/Update/Please read: Hi everyone! Thank you for your comments and a meaningful discussion. I learned a lot of things and was able to understand different sides of the story.

I posted that "The Untamed" (based off of "Founder of Diabolism" danmei novel) is an upcoming BG drama, but I was wrong. My mainland friend informed me that there is an original drama female character but she has very little screen time and is not paired with the two main leads. Because of her appearance in the casting, rumors spread that FOD is a BG drama. And as a lot of fans fear this, the rumors spread fast. Someone in the production company recently posted on Weibo (a famous Chinese SNS) that there is no female lead. So the drama is actually bromance and not BG; the production company is working hard to make the drama as close to the original novel as possible with the limitations imposed by censorship. I apologize for posting without doing more research. I'm sorry.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    They are gonna make money in a way such that Chinese purists don't destroy their company. In the end, China is very conservative.

Wujigege and Kanna Rose like this.
  3. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel nothing.

Is that a problem, doc?

craz likes this.
  4. BookwormADA

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not a problem. I want to know people's opinions. Can you tell me why you would be okay with it? Do you read danmei novels?

5. DontLookDown

DontLookDown One with the bed

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese Purists? Pffff. The only true purists are the ones who spread the holy works of BL!
    AHAHAHA~!

On a serious note, I think turning them into BG dramas is fine, as long as the production is good. Finding guys cute enough to fit into the roles for BL isn't an easy thing to do, and it's hard to fit everyone's tastes even if said actors are found. I'd love to see some good actual BL dramas though >.<

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    wut is that?
    da heck is that? boysxgirls?
    same as usual?
    with how China Government rule here and there I expect nothing~
    19637.png

7. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait. Transmigration is banned in china? Wtf.

About your question tho, it frankly sucks. That is a very clear example of censorship. Completely agree about your point that they might as well make a new script, because this is not just sligthly editing scenes or plots to make it fit a movie/series more, it is straight up chaning the story because you simply don't like gay people/ you don't think it will bring in as many viewers.

And, if the author of a bl novel have to, and is willing to get recognition by pretty much changing the entire concept of their story, then they have no dignity as an author. That is quite frankly the other way around, it's the tv company wanting to ''borrow'' the authors fame to rake in money. Disgusting. /Rant

8. BookwormADA

Reading List:
    Link
    IP = Intellectual property. It is a pre-existing story or concept that can be developed into a film or drama. A lot of IP works are made from novels and games.
    BG = boyxgirl

Nom de Plume likes this.
  9. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    There are lot of gay dramas popping out recently so havibg wont reverse the damage

10. Alina Moktan

Alina Moktan LaLisa Stole My Heart

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel nothing. I dislike BL series. It's cringe. More ever BL mc act like naive female and girly so it's okay to make BG.

w7sh and Kanna Rose like this.
  11. unclebebby

unclebebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess this works out the same across many Asian countries. Wasn't it in Japan that they call men and women who loves BL "rotten-man/woman" or something like that. While people may love BL I imagine that it's difficult for mainstream audience to accept it. Hell, even now it's hard for me to imagine a BL or denmei story being broadcasted on regular TV in the states.

I guess the thing is that if you want Chinese TV to be less shady and corrupt you can always protest in front of the station. Otherwise, you may want to focus on more civil rights and freedom to choose. Fandom about TV shows feels so much less important in comparison.

Blossomroad and Kanna Rose like this.
  12. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They made a series on that three live, blossom novel, which was a completely plagiarised novel, and it got away with it. What do you even think they care?

13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    adaptation I guess
    nah~

14. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    They can make it as power of friendship drama

Kanna Rose likes this.
  15. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... the author has to feed themselves somehow. If the authors sell it knowing the outcome the decision should be respected. It also goes to show that they are fighting against taboos even in their daily life. If the companies are buying the IPs and disrespecting the authors wishes it’s another matter, and that goes for every genre.

16. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes it's ok because they bought it. Makes sense they do what they want. Also it get rids of BL one at a time. A great cause indeed. Not removing but making the romantic interest into a girl is like gender bender. More gender bender :blobhero:

17. CharLok

CharLok Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s too stereotyped, yes, those BLs do exist, and there’s a lot of them, but to say all BL are cringe and have girly ukes is comepltely wrong, there’s so much more to BL than you think or know.

Also, even straight romances are cringe, just changing the gender doesn’t mean they relationship is much too different, it only makes it somewhat homophobic.

Also there’s nothing wrong with girly guys, they exist whether u like it or not.

18. Berenice96

Berenice96 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they want to cut off BL, they should make it a simple bromance instead of adding an unnecessary female lead... It won't even be similar to the original story.

19. Chiiiiiiiii

Chiiiiiiiii >Daoist Thirteen Bears< >Hero Astral Saber<

Reading List:
    Link
    The hell?!
    Why the hell put an extra person?
    Why not simply make a gender bender of WWX or LWJ?
    It would fit more than making an extra! A frivolous crazy lady Mo or a too serious female disciple of Lan sect would fit more!!......... though it would still loose a bit of drama......

And you sure that transmigration is banned? Because there's princess go :blobunsure:

20. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, my question was a joke ~●□■~.

No opinion. I don't read BL. No.

No transmigration inspired a desire to rebel because for all the shitty variants, there are a few good ones and I do read that genre( still no BL, sorry)