Resolved Urgent CN translation help needed!

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by here4fun, Mar 25, 2023.

1. here4fun

here4fun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    HI! i have this sentence 粉丝配合地鼓起掌,其中夹杂着“鸿雁/招红is rio”等神秘暗号
    for context its a music show and a boy band member has just sat down after singin now the next is going on thsi what the fans are saying but im so confused i think its a ship name and i know one characters name is yan zhao, but the rest are ning yunfan, Qiu Tian, and Xing Yu

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  2. puukkiss

puukkiss I'm Keeping My Eye On You!

Reading List:
    Link
    ChatGPT

The sentence in Chinese, "粉丝配合地鼓起掌,其中夹杂着“鸿雁/招红is rio”等神秘暗号," can be translated to English as follows:

"The fans applauded in unison, with the mysterious code words "鸿雁/招红is rio" mixed in."

Possible meanings of this sentence:

1. The fans of the boy band are showing their support by clapping in unison.
    2. The mysterious code words "鸿雁/招红is rio" may refer to a ship name or a fan-made couple pairing between two members of the boy band.
    3. The code words "鸿雁/招红is rio" could also be a reference to the boy band member Yan Zhao, as "鸿雁" and "招红" are both homophonic with "Hong Yan" and "Zhao Hong," which are similar to Yan Zhao's name in pronunciation.
    4. The use of the code words "鸿雁/招红is rio" may indicate a sense of community and shared identity among the fans of the boy band.
    5. The sentence may contain some slang or undertones that are specific to the fandom culture surrounding the boy band.
    Overall, the sentence suggests that the fans of the boy band are excited and supportive of the upcoming performance, and that they have created their own unique language and codes to communicate with each other.

3. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    From what i understand, it can be either:
    1. A ship name between Yan Zhao with someone else who has "Hong" in their name, hence Hong Yan / Zhao Hong; or
    2. The fans saying that Yan Zhao will be famous soon...? 红 means to be famous
    3. Last guess I would make is a nickname the fans gave him, but without much context you can't really tell what they mean

I would assume in this case "is rio" is just a bad typo and actually means "is real" but I wouldn't be too sure.
    Maybe you should read further to understand the context. The author should probably explain it somewhere down the road :)

4. Tuzhi Translations

Tuzhi Translations Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As what others have mentioned, it is quite likely a ship-name that incorporates a homonym of at least one of the characters of the name Yan Zhao. I can't figure out who the other person in the ship is based on the names you have provided.

The "is rio" probably mean "is real", which follows a common meme-format in the shipping fandom sphere XXXX是真的 (an assertion that a shipping pair is not fanmade fiction, but exists in reality, a proposition of variable degrees of likelihood), but probably intentionally spelled in broken English (ie not a typo). My impression is that such broken English may be used to make the meaning undecipherable to the non-initiated who may bear the fandom ill-will (eg, censors, or homophobes), hence the reference to 神秘暗号.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2023