Movie Vanguard - a Jackie Chan movie

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Suijin, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    I just watched this yesterday at the cinema (in China) and I wanted to give out a warning.
    The movie is below a pile of burning shit. It was so badly produced, designed, and executed that I wanted to leave the cinema after the first 10 minutes. And left before the movie even ended.

The action scenes are drawn out and lack the fun from early Jackie Chan movies. New facee try to recreate that but fail at it miserably. There is too much obvious low grade CGI. especially with cars and animals.
    Soundtrack is basic.

But the worst is the acting. It's so bad that the best actor in the movie was a child. And you could see that child looking off screen for what he needs to say, YET HE WAS BETTER THAN FULL GROWN ADULTS/CAREER ACTORS.
    The female lead in her first action scene just blank expression while everyone is shooting guns. Smiling like an idiot. I died.

So if you see vanguard by Jackie Chan in cinema listing. Avoid it. save your money

kkgoh likes this.
  2. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmmmmmmmmmmm............
    google say he almost 'die' again from drowning in the river while shooting...
    sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................

i'll wait for pirates' next year...

3. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We are in the Jackie Chan era where he uses guns better than his comedic martial arts.

Bit sad, but honestly the directing was worse.

4. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    I kinda stopped watching after the New Police Story, so no harm or foul for me.

5. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    the only bit I found funny was when he was about to jump down a floor, but the Dubai cop stopped him and told him there are stairs near them.

6. Dat_Karma

Dat_Karma Still Here

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I'm not gonna watch it now.

7. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    you're welcome

8. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not sure why people risk watching new stuff before they've finished watching the hundreds of great classic HK action and comedy stuff. Obviously keep an eye out for if people who know the genre are hyping up some new thing as being good, but for the most part the genre is at a really low point right now, and taking a chance on any new thing will leave you very disappointed 98% of the time.

9. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    because new stuff may be good, that's why people will try to watch it. there have been quite a lot of top notch chinese movies this year. 2 just this month alone.
    and jackie chan usually did make quite the bangers so everyone was curious to see if what he made this time would be good. or interesting.

quite a wrong way to think isn't it? why do you assume people haven't watches the classics before? and why would people not want to watch the new stuff? in cinema?
    are you that retro in your head to dismiss anything new?

10. All The Wrong Novels

All The Wrong Novels Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehhh? Which ones? Haven't seen good contemporary action films in a long while.

There's a lot of classics, people underestimate how many, I've seen hundreds and I still find great ones, by the time you finish watching all the good classics you probably forgot the first ones you've watched so you can start re-watching the classics. You don't have to live under a rock and completely ignore new stuff, but also when its consistently disappointing you don't have to follow it so closely.

And no I don't dismiss anything new, there've been a few good newer films, but the HK film industry fell apart in the 90s and all the people who made really good movies have been having trouble putting them out at the rate and quality they used to. Its not like no one ever makes good movies now, but its harder to do, and most people haven't appreciated just how many good movies were made between the 70s and 90s when the industry was really going.

Its not an old movie thing, because obviously the stuff from the 60s and earlier, while interesting from a historical perspective, is not as well made as most of the 70s-90s films. Maybe eventually the Chinese film industry will catch up to the HK films during those decades and we'll have tons of good films again, but I haven't seen it happening yet.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020