Votes and Ratings

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Aina Seira, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    rejected again

*dies a little inside*

My problem is not with it being abused @Tony!! My problem is that I can't look at the review system and easily disern what is good and bad about a novel. As a user, it is useless to me. Not rehashing what I said back in december ;-;

2. Tony

Tony Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is a sort by "likes" feature that tries to find the best review. I totally understand what you mean though.

It might be useless to you and a few others but there are also people who like it. I'm not going to change it because a few people think it's useless.

3. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    There were a lot of features that got implemented after my thread that I am really grateful for, don't get me wrong. :)

It's just a topic that keeps coming up >_>

4. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I know where you're coming from but no matter what I do, people will complain about it. It's just... how do I know that it would work? Why should I waste my time working on trying to tear down the current review/ratings when I don't know if it'll work for sure? If someone can provide me with facts that it would be better, it would be a different story.

5. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup! Let's abolish it... if possible.

6. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    I see. Then it can't be helped. I'll just figure out a way myself in order to pick the real good novels from the recommendations. Good day and sorry for being a bother.

7. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    Add review to vote it's stupid. People make troll review too and someone review based of bias and someone else review through it's first time they read this type of novel (but the make it like they are expert reader) or they simplily get numb of genre.

8. Tony

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, you're not a bother at all. I dunno how I came off but suggestions are always welcomed.

Nom de Plume and Aina Seira like this.
  9. Flores520

Flores520 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, anyone think the rating system is kinda of unreliable here. 5 stars are given too easily and so are 1 star ratings. Most of them are not justified either alot of times is because of a single element. Sometimes it's because it has a harem tag. Or because the deviated a little from the norm they get 1 star ratings.

10. Lazybum0

Lazybum0 Cheers darlin'

Reading List:
    Link
    This has already been discussed ,and yeah , it's not perfect but it's what we've got.
    Sometime the 5 stars are neutrized with the 1 stars hahaha , fanboys neutrize haters or something?

Just recently Tony said that there will not be changes.

11. Ptolomaea

Ptolomaea 〘⑉⑈⑉⑉⑆⑆〄⑇⑉⑇⑈⑆〙〘ѠЖ҉۞֎ਆෝ⎭⎛Ⅸ〙

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you especially when a novel is a romance in medieval times or french settings.
    So, if I were you just read the reviews instead. It's a lot more reliable than those ratings.

ninish likes this.
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Nameless Wanderer 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the same system used in most sites such as IMDB and Rotten tomato you know. The only difference is the number of votes here compared to those sites

13. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Frankly you can't really fix this. There will always be people who give out 5 and 1 star ratings way to easily for silly reasons such as reading a chapter then realizing they don't like the genre, 1 star. Or just being way too easily satisfied and being so ignorant of a novels short comings that they exclusively see the good and not the bad, 5 stars. Some are warranted too as people sometimes show up in the reviews and give their own well formulated opinions on why it deserves a 1 or a 5.
    Alot of the time people rate higher because even though it may not be a critical masterpiece they really do enjoy it and want to boost the rating so people aren't turned away by a rating that is say less than 4 stars.

It is a problem that you will have no matter what system you put in place. Because even if you forced everyone to explain why the chose their rating and moderated the ones you found unwarranted, it would still be somewhat unaccurate because someone is moderating it.

Every system would have abuse and and unwarranted revuews the only way to remotely combat it is to have a large enough amount of peoples ratings that it slowly starts to balance out.

Shio, HesheFell and Lonelycity like this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Yes, it is well known that most BL novels receive a 1 star rating simply because they are BL, there isn't much that can be done about that.

2) I suggest reading this post: http://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/758743/

HesheFell likes this.
  15. Shizaki

Shizaki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would actually prefer a 1-100 rating, or at least a 1-10 rating over the 1-5 rating which I personally think sucks to have. With a 1-5 rating, you could have like a dozen 5 star novels in your reading list, but you could as well list them which one is better than the other. While with a 1-100 rating, it's much simpler to see the difference with for example, the rating 92 with the rating 94. The 94 being better. While with a 5 star one, you wouldn't really find the difference between a 5 star one with another one.

16. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    All I'm going to say is that Invisible Dragon has a 3.9 rating

AliceShiki and thymee like this.
  17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    No way to solve it really when it is the users rather than the system that are the problem when it comes to the ratings.
    Only thing I could think of is reducing it to a simple like/dislike button(for the average rating of a novel, not personal reading lists or reviews), but that would just be a simplification, not really a solution.

18. Spacecowboy

Spacecowboy Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    this is why i dont even bother read a review in this site

19. Freakazoid

Freakazoid Freakazoid member

Reading List:
    Link
    we should change the rate system to one that explain for which publich is the novel designed to

[​IMG]

20. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    all those thing are usless......the rating is usefull just to indicate on average if the people liked or disliked the novel.....if you judge the novel from rating alone then it's better to remove the rating instead of misleading readers....