VRMMO Combat System

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Silver Snake, May 8, 2019.

1. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/pr9Qh54 in case the image doesn't show.

Also the sword weapon focuses on raw physical attack.
    The shield focuses on defense.
    The dagger on stealth.
    The bow on accuracy.
    And the wand on magic attack and magic defense.

I want the sword to be the most direct damaging weapon, so as to differentiate it from all the rest. The bow can equal its damage but only if a player is accurate with it and knows the monster weak spots. And the wand can equal the sword and bow, but it specializes in area of effect damage instead of single target. The sword can also do area of effect damage, but not to the same extent/range as the wand.

At level one all players start out with 100 hp, 100 stamina, 100 mana. Gaining hp, stamina, or mana is done from equipping armor and accessories.
    In order to use active skills all players must do a specific motion with their body or hands to activate it, in other words, all skills must be cast to some extent.
    There is no traditional leveling; only leveling weapon and armor proficiencies.
    You don't gain experience from killing monsters or completing quests; you gain experience from using weapons, armor, or accessories. And instead of getting experience from monsters or quests, you get materials or gold or equipment.
    There are no classes, so they can't give skills; all skills are given by equipment, books, or NPCs.

I would like some thoughts on my system. Also general balancing tricks.

Here's the link to the story: https://www.scribblehub.com/series/24094/olympus-online/

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  2. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm isn't this better put on scribblehub? Or did you want opinion from reader?

3. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    ANYONE. I am desperate for feedback.

4. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When using that command, you need to input the image URL. What you used was the website URL.

This is the image URL used:https://i.imgur.com/pv1balO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium and as you can see, the main URL ends with .jpg. I've fixed them for you.

Silver Snake likes this.
  5. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
  6. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Simple and well explained, quite intersting so far:blobokhand:

Silver Snake likes this.
  8. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much! :blobsob::blobsob::blobsob:

9. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    Your system is not new to me. There is game called 'Riviera - the promise land' in there you need use your weapon to get stat up. In your novel , how to gain stat in the game ?. Is only skill you get from equipment?. About the balancing though dunno but it's quite fair for me.

Silver Snake likes this.
  10. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a game called OrbusVR that's an actual vrmmo you might want to look into it for some inspiration.

Silver Snake and Nakakure like this.
  11. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Armor, accessories, and weapons will increase stats. The higher the level equipment, the higher the amount of stats. You can also get skills from books and NPCs.

12. Nakakure

Reading List:
    Link
    I think for first skill you should use basic one like , 'slash''stab''bash' or something, ligthning slash seems too cool and high grade skill.

13. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    My approach to skills is to have them be high impact and high cost. Lightning Slash one shot kills, but you can only use it twice before you run out of stamina.
    It's similar to my approach to monsters, instead of having fields full of them they're very spread out and very powerful; almost like mini bosses. I kind of stole that from dark souls.

Nakakure likes this.
  14. Silver Snake

Reading List:
    Link
    Also the sword weapon focuses on raw physical attack.
    The shield focuses on defense.
    The dagger on stealth.
    The bow on accuracy.
    And the wand on magic attack and magic defense.

I want the sword to be the most direct damaging weapon, so as to differentiate it from all the rest. The bow can equal its damage but only if a player is accurate with it and knows the monster weak spots. And the wand can equal the sword and bow, but it specializes in area of effect damage instead of single target. The sword can also do area of effect damage, but not to the same extent/range as the wand.

I want all of the weapons to have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Nakakure likes this.
  15. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    dagger skill is way too op, id give it 1.5 on sneak at most as theives should have sneak attack multiplyers in their kit anyway especially when you consider there is no stamina cost at all. while on the subject of mana whats with "dash bash" it should be atleast 30 mana if not 40 as its both a gapcloser and crowd control, unless the lightning bolt is super strong id say it should be around 30 stamina if you look at the other costs.

edit: read your comment and nevermind lightningbash should be literally all your mana, even then it might be too cheap. oneshotting abilities should have serious triggers and costs or else its gonna be abused to shit. with the current costs you could get a team of 10 players wielding sword and shield and just dash in, oneshot, dash out and thats all your stamina but you killed 10 monsters and got out safely(depending on cooldowns).

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Silver Snake likes this.