Wait 6 months

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Novel_fan_manga, Dec 25, 2015.

?

How long should fans wait without any word from the translator to request another translator?

1. 2-3 months

19 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. 4-6 months

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Novel_fan_manga

Novel_fan_manga Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Waiting six months without a chapter or single notice of what is going on is unreasonable. If a translator falls of the face of the earth for longer than 3 months that person is not coming back 90% of the time. All that waiting six months would do is just bury the novel into obscurity. Example Instant Kill, translator fell of the face of the earth for the past two months and few days, that translator is not coming back to continue the project so why let the novel fall to obscurity and argue fans should wait six months to request another translator pick it up. In four months that novels rank will be incredibly low, who is going to bother to start to read it when there are hundred of novels ranked higher that people seem to like better, which will in turn just bury the novel deeper.

If you want to be self-righteous and appear to be an advocate for translators congrats bro, but keep it to yourself and dont try to force other people to adhere to your unreasonable logic. Since you like being an advocate for translators consider that letting a project fall to obscurity MIGHT help the translato IF they ever decide to continue but the drop in popularity hurts the author who wants his or her novel to be as popular as possible. Poaching an active project is terrible, picking up a project that has not been updated in 3 months is not. Unless they are working on a super popular project, translators appear and disappear just as quickly so it is also unreasonable to attack fans that know this by calling them ungrateful when they are simply looking at the situation realistically and asking for another translator to pick up the project.

2. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, it's 3 months especially without prior notice from the translator.

3. hafrist

hafrist the cat guy

Reading List:
    Link
    same 3 months is the most there should
    mostly same reason as the first person

4. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Consider a project dead/abandoned after 3 months without an update.

5. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That is the most... aggressively defensive post I've read yet, and I can't even tell who you're trying to argue with. There some sort of vocal "Wait half a year!" movement or something? 'Cause the pole suggests otherwise.

Shio and CDLevit like this.
  6. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PS, the policy for a novel to be considered dropped/stalled on this site is 3 months.

CDLevit likes this.
  7. Novel_fan_manga

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, if a translator posts something saying hey busy with real life back in 6 months, that is perfectly fine. Radio silence for longer than 3 months means they are not coming back. It takes 1 minute to make a post saying busy be back in blank amount of time or when I can. Translators don't really owe the fans of the novels they translate the obligation to post that notice but that goes both ways, for the joy you have brought the fans by translating 3 months of blind faith is good.

CDLevit likes this.
  8. Novel_fan_manga

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes but some people fought for it to be 6

9. slaughter god

slaughter god overlord of all evil

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll also say three months especially when the translator doesn't give prior notice that updates will be stopping for awhile

10. whosays25

whosays25 ^_^

Reading List:
    Link
    Then it could be picked up again? What if the MIA translator suddenly popped up after three months to find out that his work has been picked up? aye~but it's true that letting a novel be buried in the stacks of translations is like slandering that novel....

11. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes
    It's kind of their problem for not doing anything about it for 3 months, especially if they haven't said anything prior to disappearing. It does happen though, they just have to work something out. At the end of the day, you have to draw the line somewhere.

12. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I consider a project dead if there isn't any update after 3 months, unless the translator has given some reason for the delay and a reasonable date at which he will start the translations again.

But honestly, I don't believe that the author will be troubled just no one is translating his/her novel. Do the translators or the readers of the translated novel pay the author or something?

I agree with the fact that some translator advocates are pretty unreasonable though. Forget 6 months, they'd probably bash others even if someone wanted to have someone else pick it up after a year while calling themselves a 'cult' that worships the translator.

CDLevit likes this.
  13. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, there isn't a code of conduct. Any translator can translate any novel. There will be and should be differences.

Secondly, the time doesn't matter, any translator has it's own point of view. If he doesn't adher to an 'union' or common sense of rules, than that's nothing. What will you do, run from readers?

That poaching is relevant only if you demand or receive money for your translations.

As @remy911 saied, this site has a policy of 3months but, from what I know, it doesn't translate stuff.

There's the exemple of He-man from spcnet, he dissapeared and didn't came back. In life can be moments when you can't acces the internet because of various reasons.

Shio likes this.
  14. Keon

Keon Legend of Xingfeng TL

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to agree with that. I mean the translator can get into coma but what is the possibility. Still anything is possible

15. Novel_fan_manga

Reading List:
    Link
    This post is just a way to vent lol, so don't take it seriosuly everyone, the cult of translator worshippers is aggressive and rude and I'm just blowing off steam.

CDLevit likes this.
  16. whosays25

whosays25 ^_^

Reading List:
    Link
    Aye~ that's true... It's their fault for not informing the readers on why they are MIA... Aye~ I miss Instant Kill...

Lachiel and drealicious like this.
  17. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    No, you have your point. This topic brings a important question to attention.

In Rwx case, he made wuxiaworld so, because he has it's own site he can set up a set of rules. I think that, the translators agreed to a set of rules so, in most cases, there will be a code of conduct, Rwx can point out and teach the translators certain rules that can't be crossed. There's a difference between a profesionist/someone who has experience and an amateur/begginer.

I, as a reader, discover those 'rules' from time to time - they are spread and.. My common sense isn't verry poignant. I rarely saw a code of conduct made by translators for translators. Few translators post on their page what rules can apply in some cases.

18. denden101

denden101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    well after 3 months is over without any change or a single notice, I would move it over to my dead/ waiting for pickup folder. I mean I know rl can be a real b**** at times but if a translator just ups and goes off somewhere with a notice, it startves dem packs of hungry wolves waiting for their next meal. in my opinion 3 months is enough time to make a 1-5 min post about their status/ circumstances. If their dropping it, they should say 'I'm dropping this'. If they have problems or need a break then it's, 'sorry I needs to take some time off from you pack o' insatiable animals'. no?

19. remy911

remy911 ┗|`o′|┛ Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No one's stopping them. There have been two versions of translations before.

That said, translators who go missing (no posts or status updates whatsoever) for 3 months have a tendency to go missing again. They usually might release a few and disappear again. (Whenever these people promise a release, you can't take them at face value. :( )

I think the people who push for 6 months are probably just used to MangaUpdates' standard. But I think the biggest difference between scanlations and novel translations is that:
    • novels are usually handled by just one person, so it's very clear if a translator stops responding
      • the person who handles a scanlation group's site could've disappeared, but the translator/editor could still be working on the project
    • it is not unusual for scanlating a chapter to take several months from start to release
      • scanlators could be waiting for a magazine/volume/tankobon to release or arrive from Japan/Korea/China/etc.

Honestly, I don't think it's wrong to ask (politely) for a status update after a month or two, for both manga and novel groups, depending on how often the group usually releases that particular project.

CDLevit likes this.
  20. whosays25

whosays25 ^_^

Reading List:
    Link

Aye~ Thank you ^_^ By the way, I like your signature.

remy911 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.