Discussion Wang Lin is Fake "Deep"

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by SolInvictus, May 5, 2019.

1. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wang Lin is Fake deep the past few chapters have been really obnoxious. Er Gen writes good action and (mostly) interesting characters but, he doesn't handle large themes or concepts well. He writes bullshit then has characters in the novel react as if it's deep. Then most readers go "guess he must be deep then". Shows us something deep Er Gen.

It's frustrating because the action is good, the friendship is good but, almost everything else is so crappy.

"Cultivators like us never shrink from a fight!" You've spent most of your life running away Wang Lin...

“What does this silver count as? Thousands of gold coins can be scattered, and they will always come back. Quickly, go buy wine!” So stupid. Mortals need to eat so spending all your money on wine is not wise in any way shape or form. Jackass.

“I have comprehended the world, so what if I see immortals as ants? Forget the two of you, even if all the immortals on planet Suzaku came, so what?” so anyone else following this advice would not only die but, have their entire clan wiped out. Remember when that happened to you?

It's annoying because it could be a good novel if he stuck to the areas he's competent in.

2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You expect what from xianxia? What, next, maybe they'll talk things out and settle things peacefully like civilized adults?

3. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha true they seem like barbarian to me.

SolInvictus likes this.
  4. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    Er gen as a writer falls for the same demon all chinese web novel authors do and thats the trope demon. Can't escape the cliches of the culture none of em can. And ya gotta make that word count. Also his animal aphrodisiac fetish unnerves me. What is with this man and getting raped by horny wild animals as a torture method.

5. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to remember that these people are generally only a couple of hundred years old! They’re practically infants! Where would they have gotten any experience communicating with other people?

SolInvictus and porororo like this.
  6. porororo

porororo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Its chinese xian xia dont put it up to any real standards especially moral consistency cause the same young heros that rape, kill guys for hinting at being slightly perverted. not that im saying they shouldnt cause i dont mind too much.
    2. If you observe there were a lot of contradictions in this arc especially the scene where he scares off cultivators with just his 'aura which seemed like a spell', his whole speech was that they didnt need it but the aura thing seems like cop out from writing something good, but thats fine cause these guys are on a schedule. But yeah xian xia relies too much on the whole previous truths existing like all cultivation techniques with the yin yang symbol are the best. i mean its fine to have that just make sure you write through the process of it.
    Anyway in the process of trying to quell your rant, i seem to have just let of steam of my own.
    Edit: my whole point of contradictions in this arc before i got carried away wad that er gen might be setting him up as a diffrent person totally like diffrent experiences diffrent opinions so he contradicts the wang lin of old but he has dreams too well whatever.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    SolInvictus likes this.
  7. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Er Gen writes well. If he didn't I would just read something else. What bugs me is that he adds things that don't need to be in xianxia and he doesn't execute them well. For example, if a steakhouse served crappy food - I'd just go somewhere else. But, if it made an amazing steak but, every now and then they'd inject a crappy sauce in the steak without warning. That's what makes it frustrating.

8. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    I've got no problem with them being savage but, I have an issue with someone saying something dumb is smart.

9. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha I know right. Did that happen in this series though or only in the others?

10. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    I see where you're coming from but. like you said, it's not so much character development as it is just bad writing because many of the contradictions are to recent events - not Wang Lin now vs him years ago.
    Wang Lin was made to seem badass for standing alone against the outer realm. The other cultivators were shown to be less brave but, in reality, Wang Lin wasn't being particularly brave because he was far stronger than the cultivators who were running. If they had his abilities some would be just as "brave". After saying "cultivators never shrink from a fight" he tried to run away from the Sovereign. Wang Lin often runs away when he is weak and comes back for revenge when he powers up - I can respect that. So he shouldn't talk down to other people when he does the same and he's not particularly "heaven-defying" for fighting people when he has the strength to do so.

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  11. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    What friendship? It's been years since I read Xian Ni but no one in the entire series managed to keep up with him. He might have pitied some people and helped them along the way but can a human be friends with ants? My biggest complaint with the novel was Wang Lin's farcical "love" for the female lead.

SolInvictus likes this.
  12. porororo

porororo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When was the last time you read a Chinese novel and felt they were brave their plot armor is so thick, i need 2 hands to read the novel on my phone but now that you mention it wang lin's character has changed from a sneaky one to barbarian.wasant there such a character in elcl.

SolInvictus likes this.
  13. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    The romance is pretty bad. I think Er Gen understands friendship and filial relationships well though.
    With Qing Shui the relationship moves from obligation to genuine friendship and understanding through going through similar pain. The best example of friendship is still Situ though.
    When the sovereign (or his servant?) offers to have Li Muwan and his son resurrected - his response was that he could throw away his pride, he could turn his back on the inner realm, he could turn his back on his sect but, he could not turn his back on Situ "Without Situ there would be no Wang Lin."

Over the years their relationship went from mutual benefit to genuine friendship. Situ risked his soul to protect Li Muwan inside the bead because he knew how much Wang Lin cared for her.

Situ is the only person Wang Lin has completely let his guard down and gotten drunk and cried in front of. When reminiscing Lin says - Situ has watched over me since I was a mere qi condensation (core formation?), cultivator. What is there to hide from Situ? If he wanted to, he could have taken the Heaven-defying bead from me and I would have been powerless to stop him. Knowing that taking the bead would kill me he left a treasure that he was almost killed for. One that entire star systems and third step cultivators go mad over.

He even gifted me his most powerful life-saving spells that have helped me survive countless life and death situations. Situ has been a father, an older brother, a teacher, and a friend.

When Situ and Lin got separated, Situ was searching the star systems for years looking for him until they reunited.

Rather than being jealous or overly respectful, he still calls Wang Lin "Little Lin" and Wang Lin is still respectful. Situ takes genuine pride in Lin's growth and happiness.

"I, Wang Lin, will never bow to the heavens or pay respect to any ghost or god. I only bow to my parents and pay my respects to Situ!"

No matter how powerful he gets, Situ will likely always call him"Little Lin"

14. RedIska

RedIska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like Wang Lin the most of all Er Gen's MCs, the ending is the answer why Wang Lin is such a jackass.
    The whole thing with him sending Slaughter in the past for "Good Ending" doesn't changes the general trend of history, which means our boy actually cucked all those losers with his own skill in first lifetime and reached 3rd step. Lowest grade of cultivation talent, btw. Current timeline was very tame on psyche of his contenders for 3rd step in this generation, because they had benefit of doubt about the difference between him and them due to obvious "Deus Ex Machina" shit from Slaughter on sidelines.