Discussion Warlock of the Magus World = 2 stories in 1 (may contain spoilers)

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by yotaman, Oct 16, 2020.

1. yotaman

yotaman Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an issue with Warlock of the Magus World.

I read it twice and on both occasions I could not get around the manner in which the author halts in the middle of the story to start a new one under the pretense of the MC starting over from zero again to advance farther later.

It's done actually couple of times in the story until the point of no return, for me. Every time the MC rank drops is just showing the author wasn't sure how to handle the plot with a strong MC. Weakening him once, fine, but it keeps happening.

My main issue is that just halfway through the story, the author goes so far that he sent the MC again to another world. At first you think it would be a short thing. The MC is already very much experienced. We don't need to see him grow step by step, again, but then that's exactly what the authors does for hundreds of chapters! Everything prior is at a pause. Additionally, if I remember correctly, the MC sends a clone to the other realm to realize how to promote his rank, but in the new realm there are not setbacks and he could just stick to its cultivation system, so why bother with one that repeatedly thwarted you?

What I wonder is if others felt like the story turns into a different one in the middle and if it affected for good or bad your reading experience?

Tanhalevi likes this.
  2. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two systems, both heavily flawed. The second "easier" system even more so. It feels like you didn't even read the novel properly.

As a DnD player I could only laught about the Forgotten Realms trip inbetween. All in all it was the worse part given the peak of the Passage of Bloodlines volume was also the novels peak, minus maybe the last ~20 chaps in the book.

c.decora likes this.
  3. LoneDK

LoneDK Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens a lot with these types of cultivation web novel. The authors aren't usually that skilled and rely on the power up - cultivation as a crutch to prop up their story. When the MC gets strong enough they realized that they haven't done anything with world building/side characters/main plot so they do the easy thing and recycle the crutch. There goes another hundred-ish chapters of MC powering up that leads to absolutely nowhere. So yeah, even though I do like WMW, it wasn't really that great.

4. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    In the gods world/dnd system (at least in WMW novel) you just have to snatch the divine sparks/god hoods/whatever and/or get believers and you'll automatically become a more powerful god.

There's nothing wrong with it being easier to promote since the system relies on external factors. But also, he didn't want to become a god like them since again, they're reliant on outside factors instead of just themselves.

5. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm... Go read the story properly dude. It's a novel the author wrote to express his views and ideas to the readers community. Not to impress one specific reader(in this case, you).

The regressing whenever u enter a different world thing is something some readers like me, enjoy and some readers like you, don't. It's a normal thing. Many writers do it, for example a mystical journey has a pretty similar thing going on.

In their novel, different worlds have different cultivation system. If you wanna get stronger, u gotta follow those systems.

And as for that Gods world thing u said, i don't think u read the novel properly(even though u said u have read it twice). He did follow the magician system in the beginning but soon realised it relied too heavily on the goddess of the weave(the system magicians use to cast magic) and if something unexpected happened, he would have to rely on means he can't truly call his own. That's why he pursued the arcanist pathway.

I know it has some boring parts but all in all, i really enjoyed the novel.

6. yotaman

yotaman Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read it twice. First time before the translation of was done, so I finished it at LNMTL. Second time when the translation was complete. It's been a long time ago since the second reading, so I don't remember the systems and reasoning quite well, but even without comparing to other novels with similar systems that I think did everything else better (refer to a single 1 to 10 system), my main issue is the regressions becoming a trope and the second half of the story that is too long for the payoff.

7. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kek what are u talking about bro? Chinese novels are 90% tropes only... Not finding tropes in a cn is like discovering treasure under the sea

8. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Have any of you guys ever read a novel that has an ambiguous MC?

I would love to read a novel that would have a very powerful antagonist which requires multiple people to kill him/her.
    The novel is written i such a way that we would read the entire premise without knowing who the MC is.
    (Sort of like lord of the rings)

9. yotaman

yotaman Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally agree, but in that aspect I think WMW is better than most. I despise overuse of tropes and as far as I can remember the regression was the sole one that bothered me in WMW, which is why I judge it on a different scale. A higher scale that warrant criticism for stuff like this, despite it being a Chinese light novel.

Raidou99 likes this.
  10. yotaman

yotaman Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Reverend Insanity"? Although I'd say that the MC is pure antagonist for the sake of being an antagonist, more so because circumstances force him to, which is why I'm not a fan, but it's quite acclaimed.

11. Clinton55_Agyei

Clinton55_Agyei Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand what you mean but it made sense because it was like seeing an ant rising to your level you would do any think to kill it like what dosages was doing but she had pride and also a lot of things doing than to deal with leylin that is i
    why i could get by because of how dangerous the curse was and thought behind it and also made why it was the middle because it was rise of leylin and he also had to break away from dowager bloodline unless it would have affected him with trouble greater if he became stronger because the bloodline I think it was I hope you found this useful:ROFLMAO::).

yotaman likes this.