Watching people talk about how expensive medical surgeries will be on tv shows is weird

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wrath444, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Wrath444

Wrath444 Life is such a glorious trauma, is it not?

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m British so we have free health care and it seems super weird

2. Despapa69

Despapa69 Revered 17 Syllable Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard this so many times. Could you kindly neutralise yourself?

3. Tilgarial

Tilgarial [Chaos Tiger] [Paradox] [ded][Houseplant]

Reading List:
    Link
    it's an american thing, don't worry about it

imK, Lissi, Snowbun and 2 others like this.
  4. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's pretty common for developing country too, but since our developing country have national health care system (which to be fair, have a lot of problems) less and less people have problem with health related bankruptcy.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. Konic

Konic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm sorry, is this some kind of american joke that I am too german to understand?
    I wonder if anyone doesn't know that meme phrase

Tilgarial likes this.
  6. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    How nice~ I also want free healthcare :blobcat_rawr: how’s the quality of the health care though?

7. Wrath444

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t really know I’ve never been to the hospital for anything really serious so I’ve been in and out fast

MasterCuddler likes this.
  8. Rafael wing

Rafael wing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's healthcare though?

TiggerBane and Wujigege like this.
  9. Shipper_notM

Shipper_notM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also live in Britain, but I've never been to the hospital since the time I was born (which was not in the UK) so I'm not really sure how good the healthcare actually is.
    but it's free so :cookie:

Wrath444 likes this.
  10. Wrath444

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I can get stabbed how ever many times I want and they fix me up for free

11. Shipper_notM

Shipper_notM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    How’s free healthcare like ?

13. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    These videos are just in case you're serious about not understanding it.

Where Ai-chan lives, all Ai-chan needs to pay, if Ai-chan is fine with government hospitals, is just USD0.25 per visit. Surgeries are more costly, but it's nowhere near what America would charge. The only problem is, unless your injuries are critical, you'd have to wait half a day since there's so many other people too. Ai-chan is extremely healthy though, so apart from the time when Ai-chan had to go to a private hospital to give birth, Ai-chan hasn't been to any hospital for the past 3 years.

AliceShiki, imK and Konic like this.
  14. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    How's it weird? Is it so strange that there are places like the US where you have to pay a ton of money for healthcare? :blob_tilt:

15. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Proper health care is a human right. Not even setting yourself on fire is a quicker political suicide than trying to make anyone in EU West pay for it.

Wrath444 likes this.
  16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't worry, it is nothing more than silly politics, where people try to make everything black and white.

Aka, one side says free healthcare, and other side thinks that just because free healthcare exists means you can't get private paid healthcare on top of the free one.

I mean anyone with half a brain knows even with free healthcare, you can still purchase better treatment on top of it if you pay.

But they don't want to talk about it because:

[​IMG]

Ai chan and imK like this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Over here we have free healthcare, but it's not that great, so most people that can afford it get a private healthcare plan. Prices for those aren't too big when you're young, but they can get quite expensive as you get older.

Also, while emergence surgeries to save someone's life are usually performed by basically any hospital at basically any time (and well, in the public hospital it will be free, and if you have a private healthcare plan, it will be free in the associated private hospitals too), other surgeries aren't nearly as simple, nor are just check ups in general.

Sometimes people have waiting times of months to get some exams done for free... At that point other exams they did end up becoming useless for the doctor, making the results entirely useless... The result of that is that people that need to do more niche exams often have to either pay for them, or to have a private healthcare plan to cover for them.

Also, some surgeries that aren't vital for one's survival aren't really paid for neither the public service nor healthcare plans, which kinda sucks. One surgery I need to do costs 25x my current wage, and while I can do it for free, the expected waiting queue is of about 10 years.

Another surgery I need to do costs anything from 40-200x my current wage, and neither the public service nor any private healthcare plan covers it, so I just have to accept I'll need to pay for those... Eventually... When I can afford them. Since well, they're aren't vital for my survival.

... So yeah... Even if you have public healthcare, if you are someone that needs hospitals and meds and the like quite often, you'll find out that it's not nearly as nice as you might think.

Of course though, the US healthcare is garbage, nobody sane can really deny that... >.>

18. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, just wanted to add another thing a lot of people don't realize about the US healthcare system.

You see, if something happens to someone, they get brought to the emergency room in the hospital, and the hospital can't deny them. They have to do the surgery or what not. All that happens is any surgery becomes unpaid medical debt that no one pays for that causes hospital bills to skyrocket and the government giving grants to keep the hospitals up.

It would be 100X cheaper if people were at the very least given free checkups even if it was limited amount per year, then having them wait till things got way more expensive for everyone. (because when people don't pay cause they can't, everyone who can pay has to pay to make it up)

So in sense, the US already has a free healthcare system, just its modeled totally backwards.