Question Webnovel approach me

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Deleted member 239874, Jul 11, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Deleted member 239874

Deleted member 239874 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been mtl-ing on wattpad when today I saw a private message from someone who said they are part of Tencent Literature.

Here's their message
    Hello mattomatoki, My name is Roy. I'm an Author Liaison representative, representing Tencent Literature.

I've read the initial chapters and I feel that your novel showcases your capabilities as a writer thus, I would like to invite you to publish on our platform Webnovel. You may find Webnovel on Appstore or Google Play, which has over tens of millions installations.

We would like to offer a non-exclusive contract for your novels currently on the site, this way, you can keep the novel on the site but at the same time also help you tap on the large reader base of on Webnovel with over 60 million unique user views, making it a win-win situation.

Please feel free to reach out to me with regards to this, we want to understand your needs first and foremost as an author to help you reach the target market you want to hit.

I checked the discord server and it seems there are many people who also got the offer but still not sure if it's legit. Is anyone has ever reach out properly and signed the contract???

2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, never heard of them. Usually aggregator will just steal you works without asking you.
    have you try replying?

Deleted member 239874 likes this.
  3. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This feels like a scammer as Tencent's online media sites are always subsidiary companies. Tencent is rarely ever directly involved, like how an email from Google will never come from Alphabet Inc. Even if it's not a scammer and it's just an underpaid worker making a mistake while batch messaging people, Tencent is a very iffy company to be signing up as a writer with. As summarised in this post, Tencent has been making really bad changes to the CN webnovel industry. I'd recommend thoroughly combing any and all subsequent documents and conversations, if you do go ahead with it.

Deleted member 239874 likes this.
  4. Deleted member 239874

Reading List:
    Link
    I checked the discord link but it has one moderator and the person really didn't answer any of the member's questions.
    After reading the discord serve i decided not to go ahead or send an email to the person. The whole thing is fishy especially after a member in the server asked regarding signing a contract as a minor and the moderator didn't answer it and only continued on saying that they will be paid and gained more readers...

this is the first time i saw this kind of scheme.. it's a but scary when you think about it especially because many writers in website like wattlad can be minors

5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait your MTLing 小本子 small booklet when your a minor?
    What...
    are you a 3D Loli? Send a pic.
    Tencent don't really control their business model of smaller companies as long as they make profits.
    You see some companies abusing their money and spraying around and you see some like a money hordings pigs digging in the soil, Tencent is just a investment company without pointing directions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  6. Deleted member 239874

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no no. I'm not a minors.. the others on the servers are and i don't know what they have written.

Those kind of companies just suck. I don't know how they going to make the contract legally binding or beneficial for those minors

7. TheLoneWolf536

TheLoneWolf536 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've just had an email that looks exactly like that and as a minor myself I was happy at first but skeptical because it didn't mention which one of my Wattpad stories they read. Thankfully I found this before taking any action!

8. DaikyunTL

DaikyunTL Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >"Capabilities as a writer"
    >MTL

Looks like you got sent a generic recruitment message for an aggregator site

9. TheGamingNerd

TheGamingNerd Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's fake for sure.If someone tried to approach u they would use the official webnovel email (probs)

10. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the tone itself stinks of fake, tbh