Webnovel.com has released Inkstone, an original content platform

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by QI_Meh, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/ch10s02s05.php
    Are you bound once you sign a contract?

The general answer to this question is 'yes'. This is true even if you did not read the contract, or were unsure what it meant. To be safe, you should never sign a contract unless you have read it, fully understand it, and want to be legally bound to do what it says. If you are unsure, you should not sign, but should get legal advice. Once you sign it, the other party can take you to court to force you to carry it out, or to pay for their loss if you do not go ahead.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/may/11/terms-conditions-small-print-big-problems

2. rotweissewaffel

rotweissewaffel Adept Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    Just checked, when you go on the website the message comes with the cookie-stuff and you can just click it away.

AliceShiki likes this.
  3. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Qi just wants another breeding ground to rake money on...
    As someone said over and over..
    If you get swindled then its not the swindler's fault.. but the victims own fault to be so stupid and careless.. :)
    Because hey, he have a tiny fine print on his shirt admitting that he is one.

4. jolly-crow

jolly-crow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Besides that "perpetual" that apparently means that even if you want to take your content from Quidian to another website, they still own the right to reproduce it. I understand that won't happen on Wattpad?

I think that's a mistaken assumption. Terms of Service do have to adapt to different laws, look no farer to how many social networks have had to change their privacy settings (and hence their ToS) to adapt to European law. Just this month I got mails from Linkedin and Pinterest regarding this. Also that bothersome "you're authorizing us to use cookies" popup comes from adaptating to a changing law.

So yeah, I dunno if Qidian is violating any copyright law or just trying to scam the writers. But in the remote case they do, they would probably lose in court.

Sharudeis likes this.
  5. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah google is your friend, except you didn't actually read it I already win my argument about you have to warn someone when they about to give their intellectual property unknowingly.

Now are you sure you want me to trash you again about cooling off periods?

6. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    ^thats just more info on advertising.

So far it's most just stuff for liability and legal reasons which is definitely needed and understandable for the service. The Section 5 on products that were mentioned in my last post also likely is talking more about RRL as a website itself being the service/product as well as things like premium membership, so it's not really talking about user/author content. Yeah, so far RRL, best of the three.

Donutmindme and Sharudeis like this.
  7. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no because this is not about copyright law like that. copyright law would come in place if qidian straight up stole your novel, but they dont, they very clearly tells you ''if you publish here, this is what happens''

8. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say, I write a goddamn good novel (ongoing) with many followers. Then I heard QI gonna published a physical copy of my story.
    But from what you guys say, I won't get any money from it at all.
    Thus I decide to screw the story by making it shitty and end it prematurely.

But can they re-write or re-con my story like in marvel or DC comics?
    With a new author

Glaerun likes this.
  9. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What they are doing isn't breaking international law. If you sign a bad contract it's on you, especially in the US. In fact, it's not that different from some modding ToS from game companies.

10. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    except i did, actually read it? what exactly makes you think i did not? i even copied the exact thing that supports my arguement, and you didnt even bother to read that? damn

but if you published on qidian you where ofc prepared to have no rights?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  11. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    According to their ToS, they can modify your story for the purpose of publishing, so there's arguments both ways for that.

12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    So now I think it was mentioned near the start, but let's say someone pulls your work off of your site, rrl, or somewhere else and uploads it to ql under your name. Can you get it taken down without hiring a lawyer?

13. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now babies, gather around, stick your eyes to monitor and read these words aloud.

"If it should have been obvious to the trader from your conduct when you signed that you had no idea of the real nature of the document,"

Say it again

"If it should have been obvious to the trader from your conduct when you signed that you had no idea of the real nature of the document,"

Goooood. Now, what is the basics of every contracts?

"You do it in good faith"

EGGGGSSSELENNNTTT!!!

14. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope someone posts this on RRL to let the authors there know that if they post on Qidian they are signing all of their rights away forever.

Donutmindme, Nino Sasou and Sharudeis like this.
  15. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you would have to prove its your work, which would likely be hard without a lawyer. you'd also have to prove you did not upload it

16. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah you'd just message QI and they'd take it down

17. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on whether Qidian plays nice or not. I was able to DMCA copied stuff on watpad but the aggregator sites do not accept DMCA so you would have to go to wherever they are and lawyer up to get it removed.

18. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, and as i am fcking saying, qidian is not hiding their tos. look right under what you quoted. for example because you are unable to read, or it was written in a foreign language, you may not be bound. In exceptional cases, there may be a defence known as non est factum (which means 'it is not her or his deed'). if you cant fcking read the tos then dont publish.

19. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That depends on the staff for that site, but i expect that if you can prove it's your work and you didn't give permission to host it, they will take it down. That's a legal battle they can't win.

20. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING “I ACCEPT,” OR BY DOWNLOADING, INSTALLING, OR OTHERWISE ACCESSING OR USING THE SERVICE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ, UNDERSTOOD, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING THE WEBNOVEL PRIVACY POLICY (TOGETHER, THE “TERMS”). If you are not eligible, or do not agree to the Terms, then you do not have our permission to use the Service.

Basically, if you use their site and service. You are aggreing to their ToS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.