Recommendations Well written VRMMO story with no IRL consequences

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by jacobpaige, Jul 5, 2020.

1. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I want there to be parts of the story in both rl and in the game, though I'm fine with more of it happening in game than not. At no point should there be a concern that the events in the game are real, or that the AI controlling the game wants to take over the world, or that killing someone in the game will kill them in real life, or anything else that will make the game anything other than a game. Though I'm fine if the MC or others use the game as a method of employment.

No BL or horror please. OEL or translated is fine. NU, RRL, w/e is fine, as long as its legally available online, in English, for free. MC gender is irrelevant. No a**hole MCs please.

Examples: Farming for Gold, Data Dragon Danika

MiraculousEagle and Lurking like this.
  2. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    A Certain Middle-aged Man’s VRMMO Activity Log
    He's simply a middle-aged salary man who plays VR games and is very good at it.

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Does that even exist? Part of the issue with MMOs is most authors have never gamed outside of maybe casual play. On top of that they probably need to have experience working with guilds and pugs. Plus they need to understand game mechanics and balance while at same time know how to write a novel that is fun to read.

That is something quite difficult to achieve. Of course they can skip some of the steps like game mechanics if they use an already established game and simply base it of that.

Otherwise, I think finding a well written VRMMO is extremely hard...

Lurking likes this.
  4. Ignorant-Aristocrat

Ignorant-Aristocrat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what you are asking is for people who play a game purely to play the game. With no big 'World Changing' parts involved.
    If so, I got:
    New Game Plus MC does use the game as a form of employment. So aside from the fact he get's his paycheck from the game there's no real-world consequences
    VRMMO no Shien Shokunin Just a group of friends playing a game. They become pretty popular but it's chill.
    Relaxed VRMMO Log The name gives it away as its a chill game playing novel. Not even serious playing
    Whether they are well-written is something you'll have to judge on your own.
    P.S. it's not a VR, but there is The Kings Avatar. It's not VR but a normal-ish mmo. The way its portrayed makes it look like VR though. There are real-world consequences since its something people literally invest their entire lives into. Professional E-Sports players find serious consequences depending on how they play.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Fatal Shot - I had only read 70+ chapters, but the story was 98% in game. Quality was meh.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  6. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it. It felt like a rip off of OSO.

Yes, I listed two examples. There are others.

Dropped it.
    I'll check it out.
    I'll check it out.
    Already read it. Kinda lost interest. Not sure why. Also not really what I'm looking for since its, as you said, not a VRMMO.

Its tagged as Transported to Another World. That doesn't sound like what I asked for at all. Or is the tag wrong?

Thanks to all who responded.

Lurking likes this.
  7. Michi

Michi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Only Sense Online - mainly online and when not the mc end up talking of the game.

Wanted to suggest CtG – Zero kara Sodateru Dennou Shoujo, but might not fit your requirements on the online consequences
    In a “marriage event” in game, end up with a daughter to grow up in rl, and tecnicaly he end up once with his heart stopping because of an ai going crazy but should be a one time thing
    But it has a nice balance between the online and offline.

8. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Read it. Too many cliche characters and situations. Not enough originality to make up for it. Got bored.

Thanks for replying though :)

9. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, the MC was transported to another world, but there was (until I paused my reading) LITERALLY only a couple of mentions about the setting of the "real world". He's just about always in-game.

10. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    Age of Gods: A VRMMO Story (on royal road)

11. bloodsword

bloodsword Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped it.

Dropped it.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

13. sowrya

sowrya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm surprised no one mentioned "Overgeared" till now...The MC is a lot like crap and stupid initially but he improves a lot and it's a really good read at least according to me

14. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Dropped it.

15. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    Truth is, most of the good vrmmo novels have irl impact on the mc

16. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Originstory the VRMMO: The Advent Of Axebear. MC plays a VRMMO for fun, and gains the ability to transform into a Bear by her introduction. Basically MC enjoying playing a VRMMO, though there are a few scenes with them in reality doing various things.

Electric City's Center for Lost Children. VR has become a normal part of life, to the point where Electric City, the virtual city hub that could practically be considered the internet now, is a place to meet up and a meet up place before entering the current gen's MMO's. The MC and his Sister, both teenagers, have been asked by their sister to join a new Admin/Security Detail in Electric City, saving those who can't, or more likely won't, log out of their games due to their circumstances in said games. Mostly it's setting up decently leveled characters in various "popular" games, however, as if the games were having a notable number of people 'trapped' in them, it would cause all sorts of issues, legal and otherwise. It's also a "Teaser" series, where the MC couldn't stop thinking about it until they wrote something down, so the current 24 chapters may be all we get.

Free Life Fantasy Online. Being translated by Krytyk, it's similar to OSO, but not quite the same beast. MC is female, and starts playing a VRMMO due to her sister, a beta tester, giving her the opportunity to. She starts as what's considered the worst race to start as (the reasons why it's the worst race to start as is understandable, as is why she takes it. Think horror story of an early game, for a potentially powerful endgame), and ends up becoming what is almost certainly the best variant of that race upon reaching the level needed to neutralize the race's starting disadvantages. MC is the quiet & calm type, who fights with a rapier and magic.

17. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
    Lost interest in it.
    Sounds a bit short, but I'll check it out.
    Reading it.

Thanks for suggestions :)

18. cryum

cryum Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  19. jacobpaige

Reading List:
    Link
  20. Anothersummer

Anothersummer Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow! this forum is pretty helpful.
    This is exactly the type of novel that I am looking for but I'm stupidly unable to describe, but you did it perfectly.
    I'll check the novels recommended above. Thanks

jacobpaige likes this.