Discussion What do you think a xianxia VRMMORPG would be like?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AardwarkThe2nd, May 10, 2016.

1. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, to me xianxia = awesome. And VR = awesome. So xianxia + VR = 2 x AWESOME, right? But, how do you make a VR-xianxia MMO work out? You can turn cultivation into a minigame where you absorb energy from the world, but can you imagine players loads spending time in cultivation, sitting in a cave? Also, in xianxia, the power curve is very daunting. For eg. First Stage of Nascent Soul has half the stats and qi level of Second Stage Nascent Soul. Which goes on and on... like this, new players won't have the ability to even scratch veterans.

Well, I am only giving problems upon problems. Anyone interested in solving them? I was writing the prologue with such a premise some time ago, but then I realized that the whole thing is filled with plothole upon plothole.

2. Casul Reader

Casul Reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Replaceth thy levels for cultivation stages, and thou art done."

Shio likes this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds incredibly lazy.

4. saffu

saffu dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone who plays the game will develop an inferiority complex due to not-being-the-MC syndrome.

5. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    I can spitball ideas, sure. Let's seee...

Toss out the entire concept of levelling and power progression. This is VRMMO. An alternate reality. It looks real. It feels real. It gives you the chance to live another life. There's no need to tie that down with levelling and fulfilling quest objectives. Instead, let's make it more freeform. A sandbox. ...

The physical body can be trained by physical training and fighting. Make it so that the body itself has underlying stats that aren't obvious to the player - a sort of real-life progression that goes faster than real life would. If you jog in-game, at first you're as tired as you would be in reality. As you keep going, your character adjusts and gains stamina.

Things like traditional magic could have their own gimmicks, like mastering a pseudo-language used for chanting.. Or, xuanhuan-style: Seeing the world full of elemental energy, and drawing it into yourself, or directly manipulating the energy in your surroundings.. Using that energy directly to accomplish what you want. For example, controlling the fire element in your surroundings to bunch up above your finger could spark a flame.

Cultivation could be similar. Make absorbing world Qi something players can feel and do.

Y'know. Make it reality. It's called virtual reality, after all. We don't need to feel like it's a game.

Arcturus likes this.
  6. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    Just segregate the areas so that different stages have different planes or something.

7. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    @Westeller probably has the best solution, though I think it's a bad idea myself

8. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    For those who are curious, this was the synopsis of my story before I decided it was better off not written:

"2036, the age where VR reached the masses. Various games were created, various worlds brought to light. Tower of Sorcery Online, Aurora Realm Online... Various MMORPGS dazzled the masses.

Livestreamers, gamers who recorded and uploaded their adventures on the Web, gained widespread fame. In this golden age of gaming, Xiuzhen Online, a VRMMO based on a popular webnovel, was released at the end of 2036.

Due to widespread complaints, it was a major flop. "Oh shit, my meredians are blocked and my Dantian is broken! I have start again?!" "I got killed by a shockwave when he revealed his cultivation! A Nascent Soul's shockwave killed me?"

Due to these reasons, the game was the first VRMMO to be rendered free-to-play in Mar 2037. Of course, when this event occurred, a miracle took place.

Mar 2037, a new player named Zhu Xian logged in. He livestreamed his play through from the beginning. Cultivating the body refining and qi refining techniques together, with his path being that of a sword immortal!

In six months, Zhu Xian was the most famous player of Xiuzhen Online! In this harshly difficult game, he fought with pure grace! Even after getting crippled in the middle of the quest, he would use astonishing tactics to come out on the top! After six months of play, his name shook the internet. However, he stayed anonymous, and was not willing to reveal himself to the world.

As the difficulty of his quests rose, so did his number of fans. Obtaining the best Qi Refining and Body Refining techniques, Mastering the Sword to the pinnacle, Earning Void Class Treasures, evening breaking through to become a Void Immortal! Finally, he was given the SSS-Difficulty Story Quest, Transcending the Nine Heavens!

The entire world watched with bated breath as he steadily completed the final quest. At the ending, when he was crippled by the Celestial Emperor, there were tears shed.

However, Zhu Xian did not give up even in the end. After finding himself unable to to cultivate, he created the Zhu Xian Sect, and broadcasted an open plea over the Internet, asking for players to join. After this, his various admirers streamed to join Xiuzhen Online, bringing economy back to the nearly deserted game. Zhu Xian gave away the cultivation techniques he had ardously mastered to the players. In three months, the majority of the players were Earth Immortals. At the end, the grand army rose to oppose heaven, destroying the Celestial Emperor, with Zhu Xian breaking through to Supreme Emperor level, a Titled Celestial Destroyer.

Unfortunately due to the created storyline ending, Xiuzhen Online was to be pulled down in a span of a month. At the end of Xiuzhen Online when it has returned to desertion, the strongest Zhu Xian finds himself in another world?!

...So yeah, it is as it looks, a Overlord style story, but with a xianxia bent.

9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there also need background setting, various faction, cultivating stage, how you leveling since training and killing is different way to gain exp not to mention Enlightenment moment will help in improving once provence in Skill (not chara level). Skill have differnt
    you can also can make that each chara that start will learn basic..........
    oh boy so it became transported genre

10. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, that sounded like a pretty cool prologue.

11. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Also in the beginning should we put the player as a villager and let them train so that they can be selected by a sect or should we initially let them be in a weak sect already and let them frow from there?

12. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Have any of you guys played Jade Dynasty (Zhu Xian Online)? It's as close to xianxia as possibly can. You can even fly on swords. There's just one problem. Nobody plays in the English server!

And the latest expansion, now with loli

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    thymee likes this.
  13. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    nope I play Perfect World before so I know have picture about flying sword

as for wuxia there Age of Wushu

14. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    perfect world player here and still active :v

15. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Never played it, but I don't trust that publisher because of PW.
    Anyway, isn't that the one based on the cool novel series with the eternally dead translation status?

16. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Welp, for it to be realistic, we have to put in the "crippled" system. Where if you crippled a guy, you can erase all his cultivations and levels.. imagine how it would feel to criple others!! the bank of any guild should be rob-able if you manage to sneak in or slaughter your way in. The real MMO drama will be delicious! And it will resemble real xianxia novel! :D

17. SiriamDeNith

SiriamDeNith Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We make it so that every player feels like the choosen one. In other words, we throw them into a forest filled with high level mobs and watch how the strongest survive.

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yup it is though I forget what it's name first translator make me wanna bang my head on wall

19. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its not dead, updated every week now but new translator use vietnemese raw so the name a bit confusing

20. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    There's been ~40 chapters since this time last year. I call that dead.

But maybe the more frequent translation projects are just spoiling me.