What Do You Want To See In An Original Novel Platform for Authors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I am fishing for ideas and paying $1,000 nuffies for good ideas.
    Shoot!!

Have your say even if you believe you wont be taken seriously :blobpopcorn_cool:

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Anyone other than you leading it. :blobwhistle:

3. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    freebies

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Finding an original idea is tough. All I can suggest are ideas that keep me rereading books over and over again. I’ve read many novels that claim their dungeon, kingdom or world building. But they tend to mean it as a hint. Even novels like “Release That Witch” or “Reincarnated Lord” don’t go to far into detail. If I get stuck in another world I’d like to know how to create the next Industrial Revolution. Magic even used as a shortcut still needs a framework to work in. Works like “Island In The Sea Of Time”, “Lost Regiment” or “Time Engineer” are better examples of what I’m talking about.
    At least that’s my suggestion.

5. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    basic english standards
    good grammar
    non-cliche plots

6. Gordon

Gordon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good
    comment/review system.
    Tags search engine
    Community service.
    Really good novels to start readers off.

7. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly I think ScribbleHub is pretty awesome already. What really sold it for me was how it's linked to Novelupdates (similar recs) and that glorious built-in glossary feature. I love glossaries.

Dr_H_16, lychee, kkgoh and 3 others like this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Isnt this the novel you translated? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Yunxi

9. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats pretty awesome. Seeing a novel you translate coming to life.[ I was quite giddy when Itai no Wa got an anime, same with Smile and The Eternal Love(not the Yang Mi drama)]
    I only watch stories where the female is the ruler , CEO etc which are rare. Only Doctor X qualifies.
    Surprising that it is a Japanese drama given their self admitted lack of respect for women by their own prime minister Shinzo Abe.
    Anyway, I hope I might be able to adapt your story into a comic/manhwa
    Cheers!

11. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Something that makes extensive use of the Creative Commons!

12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Please do expatiate

13. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, they already have a manhua adaptation for the series too! Some have uploaded chapters of it on YouTube, but it's also in print form in various sites around the net! ^-^

Did you run into issues where the drama adaptations differed from the source material? I know that's a common plague of Cdrama adaptations but boy, they sure mixed things up for LOY.

Wujigege and AMissingLinguist like this.
  14. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    From this page: publicdomainsherpa.com/creative-commons.html.
    What are Creative Commons licenses?
    You’ve seen them around, those “Some Rights Reserved” buttons. They link to Creative Commons licenses that, contrary to what some people seem to believe, don’t replace traditional copyright — they build on it. How? By making it easier for creators to tell you how you may (and may not) use their works. You don’t have to ask permission unless what you want to do isn’t covered by the license. What do you have to do? Read the license that applies ... and use the work accordingly.

And the six basic Creative Commons “flavors” are ...
    Here are the standard Creative Commons licenses, with summaries of what you’re allowed to do under each one. For more info, click on the buttons to go to the Creative Commons web site.

[​IMG]
    Attribution. The by license allows you to use the work however you want, commercially and noncommercially. You can copy it, distribute it, change it, build upon it, whatever ... as long as you credit the work’s creator. If you reuse or distribute the work, you must make clear to others that the work is licensed to them on the same terms. (You can’t change the license to the original work.)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Attribution - Share Alike. The by-sa license lets you use the work to make new works, both commercially and noncommercially, as long as you credit the original author and license any new creations under identical terms. You’re allowed to change the work (remix it, translate it, whatever) but those new works (which are called derivative works) must have the same license ... meaning that others can use them commercially, too, if they want. You’re not allowed to use the work to make something new and then prevent others from using that new work commercially.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Attribution - No Derivative Works. The by-nd license allows you to redistribute the work both commercially and noncommercially. You’re not allowed to change the work, though, and you must credit the work’s creator.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Attribution - Noncommercial. The by-nc license lets you use the work to create something new (build upon it, in other words), as long as you credit the original author and the work you create from the original isn’t commercial. You don’t have to license your works (called derivative works) under identical terms, however (as you would with a Share Alike license).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike. The by-nc-sa license lets you use the work noncommercially (go ahead and make something new with it ... translate it, remix it, build on it, etc.), as long as you credit the work’s creator and share whatever you make with it under the exact same license terms. That means any new works you create that are based on this work (those are called derivative works) must also be noncommercial.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Attribution - Noncommercial - No Derivative Works. The by-nc-nd license allows you to redistribute the work. So ... you can download the work and share it with others (but not commercially), as long as you don’t change the work in any way and you give the original author credit.

A note about attribution
    The “Commons Deed” for each of the standard licenses requires that “[y]ou must attribute the work in the manner specified by the author or licensor.” In many cases, though, you’ll find that the author hasn’t specified how to do that. What should you do?

According to CC:

1. If there’s a copyright notice for the work, keep it intact.
    2. Identify the creator by name (if they’ve supplied their name) in whatever way is reasonable given the medium you’re working in. If the creator is an organization (or a wiki, or a journal, etc.) identify it.
    3. If the work has a title, include it.
    4. If the author/licensor has specified a Uniform Resource Identifier for the work, include it, too.
    5. Include the URL for the CC license that applies to the work, with each copy of the work you make available.
    In addition to the above, if you’re making a derivative work (a new work based on the licensed work) you must identify your work as such. (For example, “Screenplay based on [original work] by [author].”)[spoiler/]

Various links about the Creative Commons and a similar thing called copyleft:
    britannica.com/topic/copyleft
    dquinn.net/quora-future-research/
    gamasutra.com/blogs/StephenMcArthur/20160112
    gnu.org/licenses/copyleft.en.html
    legalmatch.com/law-library/article/what-is-copyleft.html
    makeuseof.com/tag/copyleft-copyright-key-concepts
    opensource.com/resources/what-is-copyleft
    quora.com/What-are-some-advantages-of-copyleft-licenses
    quora.com/What-are-the-main-issues-with-copyleft-licenses-for-open-source-projects
    quora.com/What-does-copyleft-mean
    quora.com/What-is-copyleft-in-open-source-software
    quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-copyleft-and-copyright
    reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/44ktx0/eli5_when_to_use_copyleft_versus_saying_nothing
    reddit.com/r/linux/comments/3tr3ej/just_noticed_a_permissive_license_dethroned_a
    reddit.com/r/linux/comments/4xlbqh/what_is_copyleft
    reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5vm3yd/copyleft_license_like_gpl_that_is_short_and
    reddit.com/r/linux/comments/8r19r6/copyleft_terms_may_become_unenforceable_in_11
    stackexchange.com/questions/21/whats-the-difference-between-permissive-and-copyleft-licenses
    stackoverflow.com/questions/41898/how-do-you-choose-an-open-source-license
    techopedia.com/definition/3261/copyleft
    techtarget.com/definition/copyleft

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    Dr_H_16 and AMissingLinguist like this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha. I meant I hope to adapt your original fiction.
    Well, I heard that fans at least Western fans liked it.
    Novels can push the envelope unlike TV that's much more tame.
    I recall how even Korea turned a gay character straight when they adapted Taiwanese drama In Time With You. The Mainland one was even more safe and bad lol

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that. Outside my purview. Didn't get it years ago when it was all the rage

17. Kadmos1

Reading List:
    Link
    In this link (quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-copyleft-and-copyright), a guy named Rakesh Bunkar (Quora has a lot of Indian traffic) replied with this Oct. 20, 2015 post:

Copyleft is an arrangement whereby software or artistic work may be used, modified, and distributed freely on condition that anything derived from it is bound by the same conditions of rights. Derived work also can be used freely by others.
    [​IMG]

Copyright is the exclusive and assignable legal right, given to the originator for a fixed number of years, to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material. One can't use it without permission of the owner.

[​IMG][spoiler/]
    Person A makes a software program or some work of art. From there, Person B can freely use, add changes to, and distribute that program or art. However, under copyleft the derivative work (Person B's version) can freely be used, changed, or distributed by other people.

Wujigege likes this.
  18. Ruyi

Ruyi translator at CG

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of adaptations, I know one of WordExcerpt's original series is getting its own webtoon soon.
    It'd be really cool to get a manga adaptation of my own stories for sure! For now, I'll settle on commissioning art...

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thats cool. Well, I am starting my own webcomics venture soon and actively recruiting authors