Request What should I do?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sawanara murasaki, Nov 1, 2022.

1. Sawanara murasaki

Sawanara murasaki Sawa the HEro-sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't want to be so dramatic but anyway I just got an offer letter from the university that I'll be studying in. The sad thing is, the fee is like BN$3,950 including tuition fee and it's a must in order to study there. I've choices though to either accept the offer or just reject it.

What can I say, I'm happy about getting into university but I ain't got the money to pay the fees, I can't just relay on my family for that but I really² want to study. I'm currently self-employed though, I sell digital arts and digital mangas but, yaa, I haven't got any customers yet for so many months of hard work, but it's ok.

So what should I do? Should I accept the offer or should I just reject it?

P.S. my country use British schooling system, so college and university are different.

2. Zom the Monk

Zom the Monk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if the degree that you are pursuing is something that will give you the certifications to earn more money than you probably would without it. Than it might make sense to get a loan of some sort like most students do in the US. Here at a fairly average university it cost about $4,000 USD just for one term about 8 years ago. So for a 4 year degree that'd be at least $48,000 USD, and that doesn't take into account food, shelter, or books which are also stupidly expensive. I'm sure it's gotten even more ridiculous since than.

Sawanara murasaki likes this.
  3. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pursue your dreams.

4. Book Lover Slytherine

Book Lover Slytherine Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you think you can do better by studying there, getting a certificate from there will mostly help you in your dream career. Go for it. Why not? You can slowly pay off the money to your family when you get a job. As they're your family they'll surely help you. Go for your dreams so that you won't regret later.

But if you think it's impossible then talk with your family or research to see what else option you can choose.

Last of all, good luck for whatever decision you'll make.

5. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    You're from Brunei, right?
    Since you said it costs 4000 BN$ = 4000 Brunei Dollar = 3000 € = 30000 NK (Norway Krone) even though it should be free for citizens but minorities are non-citizens which are denied things "such as land ownership, subsidized health care, and free secondary and university education."
    ( source: CIA paragraph about Demographic profile)
    And now they even use sharia penal code. :notlikeblob:

Here are some ideas I thought of:
    Maybe there is some kind of gifted (not highly gifted but gifted!) sponsorship or company which would pay for you?
    You can ask the university administration if there's some helpful offer/information about paying that money.
    Try to find current/older students through family/facebook/alumni of your school who had the same situation and found a solution.
    Or simply ask your family for monetary support or as a guarantor for a loan/credit.

Best wishes and good dreams.
    :blobhero: Fight! :blobhero:

P.S. If all else fails and you have to pay the 4000 BN$ for the 3 years study time (~1300 BN$ per year) you could also work for a year to save money and apply next year. :blobhug:

6. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    not
    It's not really work if you aren't getting paid (yet).

What are your other alternatives? A more affordable.school? More steady employment?
    Have you been marketing a portfolio? Have you taken cheaper work or worked with a crowd funded project?

Keep in mind that *specialized* art pays better if you are amenable to that. That is what pen names like ScatCatBoyz801 are for. :p

7. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    As if my " yes or no " would change your choices pffffttttt

8. Dreamups

Dreamups Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm accept it.. Just take student loan!

9. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Talk to your parents to see if there's really no way for them to help you.
    2. Try & apply for several scholarship.
    3. Take part time jobs with salary. Housekeeping, fast food stall, tutoring.

10. 25th bamm

25th bamm A Self-proclaimed Normal Reader and Tea lover

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's the same where you are from. But in America we have community colleges and universities. Community colleges are cheaper but you can only get 2 year degrees. So if you need to get your prerequisites like basic English/writing or math classes. Than go to a 2 year college.
    But if you are already done with all that then. Look for scholarships or programs for students (for help with food). And lastly look for loans. This will put you in debt (at least if you're in America, the average is $30,000). If the degree you are going for guarantees a high paying job. Then I would say it's worth it.