What type of the story line do the readers interested

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Mae Rogel 82, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Mae Rogel 82

Mae Rogel 82 Call me Mae _ [Red step-siblings(Eldest)]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone tell me what type of the story line are most popular among the readers..and which has high popularity?
    strong female lead or strong male lead?

2. Hasty girl

Hasty girl [Holy Novitiate] [Red Sibling] [Blackjack Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    Strong female lead in my opinion. But most stories nowadays are having female potags but if you want a different approach I suggest male potags

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  3. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty sure most people are fed up with trophy husbands or wives, so if your characters have personalities, hobbies, and experiences outside of just being the main character's partner, that's a big plus. So basically, I think both.

If you were just asking what gender to make your protagonist, I would cater to your genre. Romance will generally be female target audience ( :( not enough male targeted romance BG), whereas action will probably be male

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Strong male lead, strong male protagonist stories are generally more popular as compared to strong female leads. A lot of the popular female leads are there to make the readers "feel sorry for them", or something of the like, instead of feeling hyped for them; strong female leads are a bit new.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  5. Hasty girl

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are going for romance I think don't go for ceo and poor girl . Honestly many stories have the same style. If you are going for action then Don't make the potag too lucky. If you do then when a rare thing pops up we know that the potag is gonna get it. And most importantly it should have a happy ending

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  6. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lack of strong female protagonist in adventure stories and a lack of male protagonists in romance novels.

Mae Rogel 82 and Hasty girl like this.
  7. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? It doesn't need to have a good ending, in fact, good stories that have sad or tragic endings end up becoming more memorable than good stories with good and happy endings. I mean, we as humans are more likely to remember the sorrows and woes more than the smiles and joys. Though, it has to be reasonable and acceptable; a good but bad ending.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  8. Hasty girl

Reading List:
    Link
    Well okay. But still having a happy ending is good. I actually turn away when I see a tragedy tag. But it's the author's and readers preference . I just thought most people like happy endings

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  9. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. I guess I forgot how OP wanted more viewers. If that's the case, yeah, avoid tragedy on the middle or late parts of the story, tragedy on the start or early parts are fair game, welcomed in fact. It's a nice way to rile up viewers, making them hope for the rising up or revenge of the protagonist.

Mae Rogel 82 and Hasty girl like this.
  10. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    Up to your genre and specialty, honestly...
    If you want to challenge yourself you can try anything. Just write what you have in mind, don't think too much about the audience. Everything have their own audience and market. Even trashy and third rate stories have their fans

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  11. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the majority readers or at least the most active readers are female audience, and for some reason they like Bl or "Yaoi" if you want to have female audiences with daily activity then go for BL.

Second I'm guessing is either Jp isekais or some shounen or josei both have huge male and female readers respectively. Though I doubt anyone would read a "original" piece, if it's not a jap translated they won't I guess.

Third is probably CN xianxia, xuanhuan readers, here the mass majority are just old readers reading their decades old novels getting updated daily... Any new ones get judged harshly, the ones who really do love and read faithfully are the ones who like the cliché parts.. Harem, op Mc, etc.. So if you are planning to go for cultivation type then these readers will be your target.

Not sure though. My personal recommendation is to write a story which you like and feel good about, otherwise you might find yourself giving up half way... Which pretty much sums up 70%of shit novels here, so do us all a favor and tell us a story which you love...

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  12. Hatka Bobra

Hatka Bobra Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are no "readers" anymore. As for Bradbury or Zelazny who should be wow for every reader just because they are so great, they would totally fail as web novelists.
    A mass reader is a consumer interested in his/ her certain niche.
    Your beautiful LitRPG novels will be unpopular at a xianxia site and vice versa.
    My friend gave a good example: a popular professional writer specializing in battle fiction had thousands of followers and great fuss around his novels at a certain booksite. Then he wrote a good book of some other genre (like fantasy maybe) - and failed. He had about 200-300 readers ("being polite" my friend ironically said about them). That's a miserable number for him. This shows that this very big website has a strong male audience and they don't change their preferences.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Vanidor and Mae Rogel 82 like this.
  13. Hatka Bobra

Hatka Bobra Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Glass and happy ending are two possible options, both are popular.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.
  14. Jakinko

Jakinko Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A strong male role is missing right now.

Mae Rogel 82 likes this.