What's up with all the hate for Yen Press?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AliceShiki, Apr 30, 2017.

?

Do you hate Yen Press?

1. I actually like them.

11 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. I don't really care.

74 vote(s)
    45.4%
  3. Yes.

68 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. No.

10 vote(s)
    6.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I intend to publish comics in the future..near future so I was reading up on the cost and how many companies failed.
    So ADV and Tokyopop were companies I studied.
    Thanks for the discussion, I learnt a lot.
    I probably saw Kodansha mentioned somewhere but never really paid attention but they are the largest Japanese publisher for a reason.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Damyabo and Indekkusu like this.
  2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I never understood why that happened either... It was weird.
    I think we're the minority of the readers of english translated LNs though (at least for the official translated ones). I think they aim for the people that don't really know of NU or things like it... And having the fantranslation online might make those people that didn't know about it discover it, lessening their sales... I think.

It's all guesswork on my part though, I might be really off on this one.
    I agree on that part, I don't think they should DMCA WN translations... I think it's a rare occurrence though? I haven't heard of any recent cases it happened.
    *giggles* Don't worry too much about it! Long posts can be nice as well! \(^^)/

Damyabo likes this.
  3. Indekkusu

Indekkusu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If they are translated into English how aren't they potentially hurting their sales?

The Saga Of Tanya The Evil
    Territories: WORLD ENGLISH
    Source

Spice and Wolf
    Territories: WORLD ENGLISH
    Source

They send DMCA notices as it's easier than going through the legal system and going through the legal system could financially ruin the fan translator.

Web novel translations aren't legal and Yen Press have contract with the author/publisher and are probably allowed to have them taken down. I sincerely doubt you know the contents of the contract between Yen Press and the author/publisher in Japan.

http://www.acgdoge.net/archives/5387 (Chinese, but it's a news article regarding the take down of a Chinese translation web site)

North Korea doesn't allow non government operated websites and they are actually a signatory of the Berne Convention which means it would be illegal there as well. Both Croatia and Serbia are in a agreement that the land Liberland claims belongs to one of them hence why activists are arrested for trying to enter it. French Guiana is fully integrated to France.

It might be legal on the Gaza Strip as they can't sign international treaties before they are recognized as a country.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Jaspaaar and plushiesoda like this.
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to disagree, if fan translations were translating only a few chapters or just the first volume I would agree with you.
    It is not advertisement when you watch the any entire movie in the trailer, what is the point in going to the movie theater?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.