When a protagonist loses plot armor

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Ziavory, Apr 17, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ziavory

Ziavory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I'm writing a story and need honest feedback.
    It only has 4 chapters but I think that's well...a decent amout considering the time I started writing.
    Just by reading the title I bet everyone can guess what it about, so is anyone Interested?
    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated:sushi_peak:

2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    They either die or go back home

EcoJakk, Kingloli229 and Ziavory like this.
  3. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A main character can never lose plot armour.

Even if they get shit on for 40 chapters, the very fact they can never die (otherwise the story will end) is plot armour in itself. If what you mean is that they lose their system or special ability or whichever way you wanna put it, sounds fine.

Post the chapters and that'll help people decide otherwise just going by the title isn't enough

Astaroth, EcoJakk, King0Mik and 4 others like this.
  4. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can perhaps write the story so that the PoV switches every time the MC dies. Or not throw ridiculous threats at the MC.

5. Ziavory

Reading List:
    Link
    Kay~

6. Buffelephant

Buffelephant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it would need to be like game of thrones where there is no mc and anyone could die at anytime.

7. Ziavory

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember a series once that had a different MC every season for the simple fact that most of them die off at the end or end up...massively inconvenienced lol. That's what happens when you lose plot armor, real life comes knocking hard.

Astaroth and Ziavory like this.
  9. IronValkyrie10126

IronValkyrie10126 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    “You’ve met with a terrible fate haven’t you?” - Majora’s Mask
    I’ll read your story I’m interested.

Ziavory likes this.
  10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just read world hopping novel, plenty of main character that becomes either villain/abused, or simply becomes normal people.

Example in being a side character is not easy:
    A heroine was supposed to be a leader in zombie apocalypse story after learning how to lead people in a journey to a safe city. But since her path were altered (never leaving side character's wing and protection), she ended up as normal girl who didn't stand out.

no168_92 and Reak like this.
  11. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot armor is unavoidable, but I think the key is to avoid making it too obvious and cringe worthy. Put your characters into dangerous situations, but have their survival come down to something that makes a bit of sense for them to be able to do to survive. For instance, a bomb is about to explode and your character has no time to avoid it;

Obvious plot armor response: A magic shield appears in front of him at the last moment shielding him from the damage thanks to the Great Elder from the sect moving at the last minute to save him!

Subtle plot armor response: Just as the bomb is about to explode he stumbles backward and falls into a large pit and knocks himself unconscious barely avoiding the worst of the blast.

Emmyy and Reak like this.
  12. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Two words, Death Note

Emmyy likes this.
  13. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    without plot armor the only road is dead. unless mc doesn't face things that exceed its level or gets involved with some young masters

14. SafadON

SafadON Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey do you remember the name?

15. Velsaria

Velsaria Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That will be the end of the story if he loses his plot armor.

16. RedKaiser

RedKaiser [PATH OF HEAVEN] [RULER OF ALL]

Reading List:
    Link
    He no longer the protagonist when he lost his plot armor.
    The world will wait for the next chosen one to bring chaos for everyone

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Time Travel

18. Gopper

Gopper Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i read a published novel where the MC died at the end of the book. He was supposed to become king and instead his best friend becomes king marries the main heroine who has MCs child within her.

I remember thinking like WTF and thought that book was completely useless

19. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, "its" is the possessive article, not "it's." "It's" is a contraction of "it" and "is" and is therefore the equivalent of "it is."
    "Although the demesne was said to contain nothing other that fruits and veggies, Hyde always felt that here was something hiding under it's brown soil."
    should be
    "Although the demesne was said to contain nothing other that fruits and veggies, Hyde always felt that here was something hiding under its brown soil."

It seems to me that the person who is the "protagonist who will lose his plot armor" is Hadden while the MC is Hyde. Based on the title and the available chapters, I feel that Hyde is going to force Hadden to lose his plot armor. It's an interesting concept, but it's not unique as of now since such an idea has been present in several Quick Wear/Quick Transmigration and Cannon Fodder Counterattack style novels, where the original protagonist in a story was forced to become a side character after a person transmigrates into the body of a cannon fodder or other side character.

One thing that I would say is that I do not feel that the chapter titles correlate to the chapter contents. For example, in the chapter called "Where is my plot armor?," the idea of plot armor does not even seem relevant to anything that occurs in the chapter. It seems to imply that Hyde is actually the one who is supposed to have plot armor, and thus, one would think that there would be some mention of how Hyde may feel like he is "missing something" (assuming that he never started with plot armor), but such a thing never occurs. If you assume Hadden is meant to be the one with the plot armor, one would assume that there would be a scene or some mention of Hadden having a moment of panic (because he realizes things are not going to plan and that thus, he has lost his plot armor).
    To be honest, I'm not really sure who is the "protagonist who will lose his plot armor," but I am leaning towards the idea that it is Hadden.

Overall, interesting concept, but it needs some adjustments (mainly for clarity).

20. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually am unsure of what you plan to do by that, and I am not even sure who is the MC in the novel (Hyde or Hadden), I was thinking that Hadden might be the hidden MC, but another possiblity I thought, is that perhaps you want to write a story with more than one MC and that it will turn out more or less Like the story of Abel and Cain :hmm:, starting from the view point of the less fortunate sibling Hyde (who is compared to his younger brother despite him not being a genius) and when he gets older enough his talent would be exposed thus his value in the family dropping (losing plot armor at this point, somehow your story might turn out more or less to be like the Gu master at the beginnig of the novel, the relationship between the twins Fang Yuan and Fang Zhen for example :blobunsure:) but then again, there other things that make me raise more speculations like the tags (like the slice of life and comedy tags that you put on your novel) another thing are the synopsis of the novel and the misterious 'Miss Madelyn' which made me think of several other possibilities of how your story is going to develop but they are my own speculations and I am kind of curious of what you plan to do with the story's twins, princes and souls, etc... :hmm:
    Anyway, I say as long as you don't screw up the general plot of the story and don't make it boring later on :blobsweat_2:, you will do good regardless of MC having the plot armor or not, just keep the story's development intersting :blobokhand:, and hope you success in your ingenious? plot :blobsmilehappy: (It is really intersting though)