Game Sign Up When the Dead don't stay that way... [Mafia-ish Interest Thread]

Discussion in 'Community Games' started by Acarnina, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Imawa

Imawa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can join the game(maybe) after around 10 days. If the recruitment is until then... I can reconsider my decision of not playing.

2. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    I've given up on recognizing clones at this point. I have enough trouble keeping track of people, where it's more a matter of keeping track of avis (except for those nuisances who constantly change their's).

And the first game's balance was terrible. If people had thought about it, the yanderes would have lost quite easily. Luckily for us, they did not and the game was much more fun for it. Plus the yanderes won.

AliceShiki and Imawa like this.
  3. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    Starting Z vs H will probably be between 1/10 and 1/15 ratio (so 2 for 20-30 players, 3 for more than 30, 4 for more than 45, etc). Maximum potential cures will be about twice that (so maybe 1 voted cure per day plus 3 role cure with 2 starting zombies, 2 voted cures and 3 role cures for 3, and so on). That balance does still need to be worked out. However, what should always be kept in mind is that the living have 0 chance to actually wipe out the zombies; their goal is more to stay alive for the time limit. Thus it does, and should, look like the dead have an overwhelming advantage.

Knives are for killing people. There will be no killing in this game. Killing is wrong.

1. Yes, don't think that. At all.

2. See above for brief answer, but more in depth is that this is correct; the victory conditions are such that the Zombies are guaranteed victory if given enough time. The key point to the game is that they must do so within a given, limited timeframe. The infighting for first place and the struggles of the living to revert some of their number back will both be meant as delaying actions rather than struggles for victory. Just like a real zombie apocalypse; you don't wipe out the zombies, you just escape them for long enough.

An amusing thought is that zombies do get to vote for who to use the cure on. Thus, even if on the final day there is only one human left, and the lead zombie is planning to infect them, the other zombies could still vote to cure one of their number and thus lose because they forgot to convert them back the next night; or failed to (see odds of infection in powers description). Thus, in summary, you're right: it's very complicated.

3. I'm not starting this any time soon. I'm busy until next weekend, I just wanted to get the idea out and in the forum mind before trying to work out more concrete plans.

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Was it the yandere and the slasher fiasco

5. a101011

a101011 [Hero Martial Porcupine]

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe next week. Still remember when I last participated, I voted to not kill which caused the bot to glitch and kill me.

Fossil likes this.
  6. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha~

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs Arc senpai*
    *shakes pompoms*
    *pokes @Rotte* You should play!!!

Imawa likes this.
  8. Imawa

Imawa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a memorable game. Yes.

9. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep. Are you planning on joining? There will be two senpais then.

10. A5G_Reaper

A5G_Reaper [DCLXVI, sohyee, and iampsyx's cute imouto]

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure.

Blitz likes this.
  11. pirateking36

pirateking36 [[-Worst King-]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Count me in.

12. Rotte

Rotte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, nope, I won't be able to play after all. :blobtired:
    GL with it though

13. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel this game lack a objective that people can pursuit.

14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Not losing before X turns pass is a good enough objective IMO~

Fossil likes this.
  15. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Its also more of a story and April fools style game too

16. SpearOfLies

SpearOfLies [Lucky Dad][Has a lovely daughter]

Reading List:
    Link
    And how you pursue that objective?

17. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    The objective shouldn't be this complicated.

For the zombies, it's converting everyone to their side, pretty much textbook infection tag or other similar games. The trick is that there is also an internal ranking based on time spent as a zombie, so while the dead do want everyone to become one of them they also want to get rid of the undead higher up than themselves. This should lead to infighting that helps increase the balance, because otherwise it's nothing but an inevitable undead victory after they make up more than half the player base.

For the living, it's much simpler: be alive on the final day. It doesn't matter how this is accomplished, whether you spent most of the time as a zombie or stayed alive the whole time (though that could affect the ranking), you just want to be alive.

Now, those are the faction victory conditions. For the players, it's one of two things: either a) be living on the final day or b) be one of the top 3 zombies when everyone is converted. Everything else is essentially a loss. Some players are going to be shuffling factions quite often, and the undead leadership roles should have catastrophic turnover. Probably needs a bit more work to ensure that happens (for example, three allied players monopolizing the zombie power roles could easily control the game and drive for an easy win) but I'm not sure it's too terrible in its current state.

As for how you pursue it, there are really 3 major strategies and a couple minor ones.
    Major:
    1- obtain and hold a lead zombie role without getting cured. Dead victory.
    2- be alive and keep yourself and as many others as possible that way however you can. Living victory.
    3- be dead, keep as many alive as possible (by attacking known dead to nullify your infection), then get yourself cured right before the countdown ends. Living victory.

Minor: 1- be dead, spread infection, content yourself with participation trophy on undead victory. 2- bounce between living and dead to gather information, making sure to be on the winning side at the end, whichever it is. 3-gain undead power role then sacrifice it to guide living to victory.

There are others, but even from this it should be obvious that the major complexity is planning out which side to help, even if you are on the other side at the time. You can be undead, and help the living, or you can be living, and help the undead. Because of the malleable factions, it's more every man for himself than a team competition. That should be the key to be kept in mind.

TL; dr: the objective is to be as high ranked as possible on game end, which implies being in the right faction at the right time. Victory and placement is on an individual, not a faction basis, so driving for zombie or living victory should not be done except as a means of increasing ones own individual ranking.

Arcturus and AliceShiki like this.
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Kill zombies! \(^^)/

19. Acarnina

Acarnina  

Reading List:
    Link
    You're explaining it poorly. See my post above. The key is to remember this is an individual game, not a team one. Look out for yourself and maybe a few allies, not an entire faction. Factions are too malleable to have that be effective.

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I'm explaining poorly because that's pretty much how I think I'd play the game! xD

But yeah, your explanation is much better~