TV Which version of 倚天屠龙记 has the best fighting scenes?

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Eishun, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, those of you who can recognize the title of the show will know that 倚天屠龙记 has been re-produced by multiple TV stations over many years. The earliest versions were made during the 70s in Hong Kong and the latest one was produced by a TV station in China this year.

Because the art of fight choreography and the science of TV special effects have been getting better and better since the 70s, it should mean that the more recent productions of
    倚天屠龙记 will always have better fight scenes that the earlier versions.

But that's not always the case. For example, in 1993, a Hong Kong director(王晶) made a movie version of 倚天屠龙记 which had vastly superior fighting scenes compared to a couple of TV productions made after 2000. Those post-2000 versions were so badly made that the fight scenes consisted mainly of just the characters striking poses with cheap special effects taking place in the back ground.

So anyway, back to the title of this discussion thread. Which version of 倚天屠龙记 has the best fighting scenes? Share your choices here and feel free to explain why one is better than the other.

2. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    I only watch the 1994 tv series which was aired on my country on 1996... never watch other version... mainly because I was waiting for Doraemon anime that aired after the series finish

3. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I had no idea what kind series it was ....

4. Sourceofchaos

Sourceofchaos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh it was the sky sword and dragon blade if i'm not wrong

runsing likes this.
  5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    it should be this one.
    it is the final part of the Eagle-shooting Hero Trilogy by Jin Yong. the other two being;
    1. The Legend of the Condor Heroes (Guo Jing x Huang Rong)
    2. The Return of the Condor Heroes (Yang Guo x Xiao Long Nu)

personally, i like the Jet Li version, unfortunately the promised sequel never came through.
    but i still prefer the manhua adaptation by Ma Wing Shing over any live-action adaptations (even though i don't really like the ending)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  6. Nai waa

Nai waa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A quick search gave me the last story of the condor trilogy by Jin Yong titled Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre. I like the 1986 Hong Kong version since it's the first one I watched and the scene didn't seem too fake unlike with someo f the newer version.

7. Liedral

Liedral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly only version of this I watched was kung fu cult master, a version featuring jet li. That was an amazing movie, it's such a pity that episode 2 of that movie wasn't produced. I remember going through the video rental store looking for it. Didn't find out until years later that there was no episode 2.

Edit: Looked up Kung fu cult master on wiki, turns out it was the 1993 film produced in HK you mentioned. I only knew it by the name of魔教教主.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an English forum.
    You just come off as an elitist brat.
    From my handle, I know about this but I can't be bothered with your elk.
    You think exclusivity adds a air of sophistication? Well it does the opposite and makes you come off as close minded.

I am off to look for other elitist to beat down.

9. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, you mean the one starring Tony Leung as Zhang Wuji. That's the first version I watched. Yeah, they did real kung fu moves back then and didn't depend too much on special effects.

10. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was supposed to be an episode 2. And 3. When the movie first came out in Singapore, it was a big deal and there were plenty of movie posters going around. One version showed the characters for movie number 2 so we were all expecting movie number 2 to come out in the next year or so.

According to the Wiki article, the cancellation of the sequels was due to poor performance at the box office but, at that time, there was a rumor going around saying that some of the money-backers for the sequels were triad members and after they went to prison, they could not afford to spend the money for movie production anymore.

11. Tea Fragrance

Tea Fragrance Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My biggest problem with the fight scenes in dramas these days is how pretty they look. I mean yes, they're nicely choreographed with wires helping them to fly all over the place but it's like physics doesn't seem to work anymore. I'm not asking for much (or at least I don't think they're much) :blobpensive:
    E.g. When someone uses qing gong to fly, at least make it seem like they kicked against the ground to give themselves a lift instead of flying straight up. And when things or people are being thrown around, I want to see a bit of that oomph letting me know that Newton's third law is still at work. It's very minor things but it's all these that's capable of turning me off a drama :blob_teary::blob_teary:

12. Noory

Noory Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the fight scenes in the new HSDS are terrible, as are the special effects. There are only three good things about this 2019 version: 1) Yang Xiao is really hot and he manages to steal the spotlight every time despite not being the ML 2) pretty chicks, even Zhu'er is good looking 3) it follows closely to the actual story, unlike the other previous versions (it portrays the Ming Cult in a more positive light, and the Six Sects aren't as righteous as they claim to be).

I've seen every version of HSDS and I think the best fight scenes belong to Su Youpeng's even though the special effects are over the top. Nevertheless, it really made me feel that Zhang Wuji is the most OP character in all of Jin Yong's list of protagonists. In terms of chemistry between ZWJ and Zhao Min, I'd have to say Tony Leung's version is the best, especially the scene when Zhao Min breaks up their wedding.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019