Discussion Who are the worst scum male/female lead and worst scum parents/families that you remember?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Gav, Oct 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Kill that fcking bitch, no calling her bitch is an insult to the whole species of dogs *angry rant and insult noises*

2. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novel: Clockwork Planet
    Male Scum: Miura Naoto
    Scum Family: I do not recall him having any

Reasons: See below. The main point of each paragraph is highlighted to give a better understanding of what each paragraph is about.

Miura Naoto Is A Horrible Protagonist Who Is Shallow, Selfish And Immature: The protagonist of Clockwork Planet, Miura Naoto, was one of the worst and most selfish light novel protagonists I had ever seen. He literally does not care about his hometown getting purged even though he could easily save it with the help of the main heroine, RyuZU, without facing any real danger to his life at all. While he eventually still goes to save his hometown anyway after having being bribed by RyuZU with a favour, he hesitates when the purge was about to begin since he can just leave the situation altogether because he feels that he can just move to another town with RyuZU at the expense of the lives of many people who he does not give a damn about. This is so much so that RyuZU had to inflict deliberate self-injury on herself just to get that idiot to finally do what he needs to do what he should had done in the first place to save his hometown. When the whole crisis is over and another crisis is looming, he had to be bribed again by RyuZU with another flavour just to get him to do what he needs to do in the situation. Seriously, this piece of shit called Miura Naoto is beyond selfish and is undeserving of his role as the protagonist of the series. His only interest is to amass a harem of robowaifus and beyond that he is beyond shallow as a protagonist with his only other traits being that he is selfish and immature. Hence, Miura Naoto is a horrible protagonist who is too shallow and selfish and is undeserving of being the protagonist of his own series.

Miura Naoto Makes Ikari Shinji Look Noble In Comparison: I would even argue that Ikari Shinji at the start of Evengelion was still infinitely better as a protagonist than him. After all, while Shinji refuses to get into the Eva at first due to the danger to his life in doing so and his refusal to save the world since he hates himself, he still got into it anyway since he does not want an injured Ayanami Rei to potentially get even more injured or die by piloting the Eva in his place. This shows that Shinji still had the ability to care about other people unlike Naoto who does not care about anything or anyone beyond his robowaifus. There is not even a need to mention how the Shinji at the end of Evangelion is compared to Naoto since Shinji at the end of Evangelion is even better than his character at the start of the series. Hence, Shinji is an infinitely better protagonist than Naoto since he possesses the capacity to care about other people unlike Naoto.

The Protagonist Of Beatless Is More Competent Despite Being Less Talented Than Miura Naoto: Endou Arato, the protagonist of Beatless is also an infinitely better protagonist than Naoto as well. While Arato cannot do much on his own since he does not possess any special abilities and lacks talent and resources but he always does whatever he can do with his utmost determination and effort. Whether be it saving his friend, Suguri Kengo, from participating in a terrorist attack or stopping Snowdrop's rampage from killing people after she took over a few areas of Tokyo or shutting down the super intelligent A.I. Higgins in order to dispel humanity excessive fears of super intelligent A.I.s to help advance his ideals for a better future, Arato decisively does whatever he can with his best efforts. This is why his friends, Suguri Kengo and Kaidai Ryou, who are both more talented and capable than him respect and admire him a lot as a friend and as an individual even though they do not share the same ideals as him. While most of the significant actions Arato takes are him giving commands to Lacia to assist him in the situation they are facing and him following Lacia's instructions without hesitation, his ability to trust completely Lacia and entrust the situation to her while focusing on doing what he can do makes him a very admirable protagonist. Furthermore, it is because Lacia was able to defer all the difficult decision making to Arato that allowed her to dedicate her computational power elsewhere which allowed her to reach a super intelligent A.I. status. This means that Lacia is only complete as a super intelligent A.I. unit when he is with her. As a result, it is understandable why Lacia ends up falling in love with him since not only does he share the same ideals as her, he is also able to completely trust and love her and make good use of her capabilities while doing what he needs to do without hesitation and with his best efforts to make their ideals become reality. Hence, Endou Arato is everything that Miura Naoto should have been had Clockwork Planet been written by a more competent author.

RyuZU Falls In Love With Him For Nonsensical Reasons: I seriously wonder why the heck would RyuZU even fall in love with Naoto since he seriously did nothing noteworthy at all to deserve her love. The only significant thing he did without needing her to prompt, threaten or bribe him is that he saved her from delinquents when she could have easily dealt with them herself. Beyond that, he had only shown how selfish and immature of a scum he is when he is with her. I would even argue that every insult that Kouka directed at Arato during the first time she met him is actually completely applicable to Naoto even more so than Arato since Naoto is the very trash that Kouka initially described Arato to be. After all, Naoto is really a failure who lacks brains, has a frail body, is not using RyuZU properly making her worthless, only wants to use RyuZU to play house and that he only became RyuZU's owner by chance much like how Kouka initially described Arato. He is unlike Arato at that point who was not as horrible as Kouka described him to be since even then Arato is decisive and does whatever is needed to be done with his best efforts even if his actions are reckless. I would even argue that had Arato been the protagonist of Clockwork Planet, RyuZU will definitely fall in love with him since he is decisive person who would always do his utmost without hesitation in doing what he needs to do. On the other hand Lacia would never love Naoto nor will she ever choose Naoto to be her owner had he been the protagonist of Beatless since Naoto cannot possibly help her make her ideals for the future a reality. Hence, Clockwork Planet also has horrible romance as well since RyuZU falls in love with Naoto for nonsensical reasons.

Conclusion: All in all, Miura Naoto is a horrible and incompetent protagonist. His series, Clockwork Planet, is also a horrible series that nobody should ever read or watch. It is a waste of time and its wasted potential could never be realized due its author being incompetent at writing such a series. The only thing it does is to prove the validity of a certain belief I have that a protagonist's competency is not determined by what he is capable of doing but what he chooses to do and how he chooses to do it. After all, it does not matter if a protagonist is really talented and capable if he chooses not to do anything most of the time and always hesitates when doing anything at all since his inaction and hesitation makes him incompetent. On the other hand, even if a protagonist cannot do much due to his lack of talent or capability, if he chooses to always decisively do what he is able to do within his limited capability with his utmost effort and determination, it makes him a competent protagonist. The former is displayed by Miura Naoto, an incompetent protagonist, who does not make good use of his special ability and always need RyuZU to bribe or prompt him in some way or another just to get him to do anything of value. The latter is displayed by Endou Arato, a competent protagonist, who is always striving to do his best in doing what he can do with utmost diligence and tenacity.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  3. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    Well lot of scummy people in novels. One of my most hated MC's however.
    Novel: Isekai Shoukan wa Nidome Desu
    Male Scum: Suzaki Setsu (The MC)
    Scum Family: Never appears.

Basically one of the worst MC's I've ever read.
    1. He is super OP but pretty much never uses his power unless he has to 2. His indecisiveness leads to a bunch of people being either hurt or killed 3. Pretty much everything he's spouting is bullshit or based on bullshit he read 4. He is loved by all the gals but treats them like trash

4. Gav

Gav [Fairy of the Garden of Evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    /taking notes on what novels to avoid
    Thank you for your comments. I hope to see more responses.

5. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are looking for some other novels to avoid beyond just the novels in question having scum characters, I can name two more novels that you should avoid. The two novels in question are The Results From When I Time Leaped to My Second Year of High School and Confessed to the Teacher I Liked at the Time and Seirei Tsukai to Shinjuu Tsukai no Shounen. The reasons why they should be avoided are stated below.

The Results From When I Time Leaped to My Second Year of High School and Confessed to the Teacher I Liked at the Time:

The Whole Time Leap Element Was Poorly Utilised: Despite the protagonist being 30 years old, his maturity is no different from a high schooler. Just being aware of the problems of being in a relationship with a teacher when someone is a student does not make them mature. It is common sense that even a middle schooler would be aware of. There was also no compelling long-term or difficult goal that the protagonist strives to achieve making the time leap element poorly utilised. In fact, even if the protagonist was a normal high schooler, there would be no difference in his actions which utter defeating the point of the protagonist being a 30 years old guy.

The Romance Was Also Utter Rubbish. After all, why should I care about the romance between the protagonist and his teacher when I hardly even know anything about them at all? This is worsened by the fact that the protagonist's teacher just accepted his confession only because he tried hard in confessing. The extremely nonsensical reason for her accepting his confession was only the tip of the iceberg in regards to how atrocious the romance is. Another reason why the romance is beyond nonsensical is that there was no intimacy in the two relationship's prior to this event. In fact, their relationship before the confession was just a normal student-teacher relationship where the only affection that exists is one-sided from the protagonist. Not to mention that a romantic relationship between a student and teacher is generally a taboo and the teacher should be especially aware of that. Her being air-headed is no excuse for her actions because surely she should have some common sense both as an adult and a teacher. In fact, I actually question if she is mentally challenged just by reading about her actions and behaviour.

The Protagonist was Completely Unrelatable: Last but not least, the series has the problem of making the protagonist seriously unrelatable. The light novel expects me to relate to the protagonist simply by saying that his work is tiring without providing a detailed explanation for why is it so. Look, I can also say that my work/studies is tiring but unless I provide details of why this is so, others will have problems relating to me unless they know me on a personal basis. Overall, this is a horrible series that feels like someone copied Ootani Momoko's character from PhotoKano and combined it with the protagonist working in a shitty job and the time leap elements of the Remake our Life light novel without understanding what made both series great to begin with. Hence, if anyone wants to read time leap light novel, you are better off reading Remake our Life and Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka? instead. If anyone is looking for a light-hearted romcom light novel series, I recommend Gamers! and Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru rather than reading this horrible series.

Seirei Tsukai to Shinjuu Tsukai no Shounen:

It is hard to even decide where to begin talking about how horrible this series is. It uses a lot of the trope of the high school battle harem genre and mashed them together without understanding how to utilize them correctly. As a result you get a Frankenstein monster of a series that cannot even decide what it wants to be.

Author Cannot Decide Protagonist's Power Level And Battles Are Mediocre At Best: When reading the that web novel, I had to constantly ask myself the following question. Is the protagonist supposed to be overpowered, balanced, strong, weak, average or somewhere in between? The protagonist being unable to utilize his overpowered ability consistently, being unable to utilize spirit magic but is skilful in using magic tools pretty much shows the author of the series’ indecisiveness on this matter. Moreover, the protagonist receiving an exception to use magic tools in his school when their usage is banned for everyone else is utter nonsense. There is another school that specializes in training students in the use of magic tools making this problem even more baffling. This is since it would have made more sense for the protagonist to be enrolled in that school from the start to or to be transferred there after the first arc. Sure, the protagonist might had saved his school from some manmade golem of some sort but that has no bearings to why he should be allowed to use magic tools in his school. It would have made more sense for the school administration to transfer him to the other school instead since he is more well-suited to that other school environment with his abilities anyway. The battles of the series are also mediocre at best and utterly atrocious at worst making them not even worth mentioning.

Romance Is Also Horrible: Three of the heroines in that series also feel seriously shallow and even the best heroine in the series feel very lacklustre. The romance in that series is also horrible. Two heroines including the best heroine in that series pretty much falls for the protagonist almost immediately before even interacting with him once. This is nonsensical since even if there is similarity between the protagonist and the heroines, it does not make sense for them to like him before even met him in person. Them taking a strong non-romantic interest in him is fine but falling in love with him immediately is not. The other two heroines also fall in love with him for shallow reasons as well making the romance of this series horrible. Overall, this series can be summed up as a clone of the visual novel, Koiken Otome, done wrong. This is especially insulting for me since I really like the visual novel, Koiken Otome, which I consider one of the best works in the high school battle harem genre. Seeing someone create an inferior imitation of it seriously pisses me off. In conclusion, if anyone wants to read a good high school battle harem series, I would recommend Absolute Duo, Bastard Magic Instructor And The Akashic Records, Hundred, Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai and Koiken Otome rather than this garbage series.

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhuge Yue from "The Legend of Chu Qiao: Division 11’s Princess Agent". He kills the protagonist's brother, maims and then murders her younger sister, and then captures another sister and tortures her. All of this when the protagonist is 8 years old. And he's the male love interest. The last quarter of the story is the writer trying to jump through hoops to make him not look like a monster, and it doesn't work at all.

Gav likes this.
  7. Gav

Gav [Fairy of the Garden of Evil]

Reading List:
    Link
    More scum male leads or female leads please?

8. Yosete

Yosete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Male character : I dump Shin from The New Gate here. Just because he ticked me.
    Female character : I don't bother to remember shitty side characters.

9. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey man wtf, shin is a nice guy, how is he scum??

10. Yosete

Yosete Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ``Just because he ticked me.``
    Author forced too much on the hey I'm a nice guy that he made the character scum ( worthless basically ) for me around the time when he gets teleported with the princess IMO. Not a fan of it on short.

11. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    While he may be like that but he's not exactly a dumbass, so yeah. The first thing story is pretty decent too

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Nalan Yanran - Battle Through The Heavens :blobangery:
    Meeh not really. I like the character even the much hated lady on Coiling Dragon. At least she had a personality unlike the perfectly loyal robots we see as love interests

PS I only watched the TV Show, cant read BTTH, too difficult to read and not my cup of tea

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Gav likes this.
  13. Junweizhu

Junweizhu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh, are we even reading the same novel? Or maybe I'm missing something.

14. TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove

TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn this chara qould definitely place on top 10
    Novel: Shen Yi Di Nu
    Character: Mc father (feng ji yuan? I think)
    Reason: he's a shameless scum, the author's too fucking stupid to make him the minister of the story, he banished his first wife and their children, tried killing the mc many times, etc etc etc it's been 500 chanpters out and from chapter 1 he still hasn't stop being a scum

Midnighthour31 and readerz like this.