Discussion Who made me a princess

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by Hanada, Apr 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I saw this listed as one of the best manwha and I gave it a try but I can't see what's great about it, sure the art is good but other than that the MC isn't very likable and the father specifically made me hate him with passion, I read other mangas and the trope of redeeming characters is common enough but when it comes to him even the losing emotions? excuse doesn't cut it since it's mentioned he came to love the heroine of the OTL.
    So my question is, is there something in later chapter that makes it better? Granted I think I only read a dozen or so chapter but can't imagine it improving

2. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like the story, but it was also one of the first (if not the first) stories of that type that I ever read. So maybe it's like that for many? Who made me a princess is really the story that made me start reading more stories about female perspectives, but yes, the art played a HUGE role. If the art hadn't been that good, it wouldn't have gotten the attention and praise it got.

Rin.rinaaa, Uncopyright and Brigtter like this.
  3. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    if you cant put yourself in the mc's shoes and feel the heartwrenching pain of seeing your own father watch you drown and not seeming to care...then obviously you cant understand what makes it so good

hansora likes this.
  4. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're talking about the scene where the mc goes boating with the emperor right? That was a horrible moment but how exactly does this makes it good, if anything it shows how obnoxious her father is

Rin.rinaaa likes this.
  5. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It gets better.

after her mother died, he used black magic to kill his emotions. The MC almost dying breaks the spell so he regains said emotions. As for the original story...there is a manipulation of minds going on.

Khushi Singh and hansora like this.
  6. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does that include him not caring that he killed her wrongly? And why couldn't the heroine do the same?

7. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    yeh well I'd be spoiling but basically
    the original FL isn't the real daughter. she is a chimera made by a women that Claude used to love but she had an affair with his brother. the brother is possessed by an evil spirit who wants to take over the kingdom...anyways, the original FL is a trap for Claude and there is magic that is used to make Claude like her. Because he felt nothing for his real daughter, killing her meant nothing to him. In the original story, he would end up being killed after the death of the real daughter, the current FL.

When she nearly drowned, she interfered with the spell. It probably reminded Claude of her mother (who knowingly died giving birth the MC) the current heroine reawakened Claude's emotions...he swiftly becomes a doting father. There's more drama that happens later, but this is basically the gist of it.

8. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In what season is this revealed? Also that is one convoluted plot

9. Parth37955

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of it would be revealed in the second season. There is a time skip before the main story kicks in

10. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    see? you have the empathic compacity of stone statue and thats why you have to ask such questions

11. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you explain it then, my takeaway from that was that the emperor was a bastard and any death was too good for him

12. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    buddy, like i said,if you cant put yourself in the protagonist's shoes and experience how a situation like that feels, the story does nothing for you. It revolves around feeling the emotions the characters go through.
    The father being so broken by the death of his lover he couldnt even look at his daughter because it brought memories and pain he couldn't process. The Mc, in spite of her memories, still very childlike and wanting her father to care about her but experiencing little but indifference...knowing she's supposed to be killed by the one person who SHOULD love her but doesnt...

convoluted plot aside, if you cannot feel the heartache from these things, its never going to be a good story for you. Most peolpe who read novels and manga after so many years are desensitized because of how any traumatic experiences are depicted, or even made light of, and they know its not real so it gets them into the mindset that they shouldnt care. But there's stories where you should use that mindset and those where you shouldnt.

Me, i switch between desenstization and empathy when i consider it appropriate. This story definitely requires the latter. Its not a well written masterpiece but the emotions, if you can allow yourself to feel them, the characters go through can move you. Thats all a story needs to do, in my opinion.

13. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you mean the protagonist shoes? She only knows about the princess and the emperor from the novel she's not really the princess, for that situation the emperor not helping her was like her being mugged and a police nearby not helping, a terrible ordeal but nowhere near it would've been if it was a cop it was a father or brother, and the mc at least up to that point just wanted to run away her pretending to be cute was more of a defense mechanism rather than any yearning for affection

14. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    It only starts out as a defense mechanism at first, but turns into actual yearning for affection because she never got to experience having a real family even in her past life, it does take her some time to come to terms with her own feelings though.
    And to make things a bit more convoluted
    the "original story" isn't just a story, pretty late in the story it is revealed that it is also a past life the mc lived through, she then was reborn in korea before regressing back to her first life as the princess, and her original memories having been twisted somehow so she remembers them as a story

Rin.rinaaa likes this.
  15. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    give up mate, the man has empathy on the same level of a brick if he doesnt understand after all this

16. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay but at least until the boat incident there was no sign to show that she wanted any affection, she was just trying to gather money to escape and tried to avoid the emperor

17. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    That is only 10 chapters into the story though, and they didn't even meet until end of chapter 5, I would have more problems with the story personally if she changed her mind that quickly, since one of the main themes of the whole story is them gradually coming to terms with each other throughout the story.
    This is not one of those stories where the relationship is all mended and loving in the first plot arc, so if you are impatient for that to happen it might simply not be for you.

18. Hanada

Hanada Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think what I disliked the most is that the emperor didn't have any redeeming features that made me interested to stick around and MC attitude was annoying at best so I don't understand why it's popular

Rin.rinaaa likes this.