Discussion Why are people so obsessed with iPhones?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cutiebinkie, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Donutmindme

Donutmindme [dounut][Zodiac:Golden snake][PROcrastinator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use my iPad everyday and draw on it. I’m pretty satisfied with my iPad. I like it. I can read novels, mangas, manwha and here too. So it’s great for me! Love it.

Blackflames123 and cutiebinkie like this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason is simple, it's a cult. And Apple prey's on the cult mentality by locking people up in their garden. And as people get locked into that garden, others are forced to join that garden to use the stuff. And then as some mentioned it becomes like your on team A and you gotta defend Team A no matter what, like politics, sports teams(as mention), aka Stockholm syndrome.

No they didn't. Their quality isn't anything to write home about. Sure it might be better then your typical chinese junk but it's no better than many other mainstream stuff. Often times it's worse.

What really gave Apple their brand modern brand name is jobs got lucky that he caught the music companies at the right time when they were thinking how to deal with things like napster. Since they didn't think much about the future, they signed deals that gave Apple exclusives to distribute music via downloads and ipod. Since then, a lot of teens got ipods cause teens love music, and from there they got their "cool image". Since then, the current generation pretty much grew up with Apple.

That's a common misconception, yes. But the funny thing is, most people, even those with Apple devices don't know the difference. I remember when I had a phone with a physical keyboard attached, and people asked if it was the new iphone.

Most people simply are too tech illiterate to know the difference unless you show them the logo. But when people put cases on their phones that distinction gets lost.

1. They didn't start that form factor, it existed for ages before them. Jobs just did a good misdirection by showing a picture of "smartphones" which were prior used as a term for phones between feature phones and pocketpcs/pda phones and etc. It was a misdirection
    2. Yes
    4. The whole more secure due to less users is 1 thing, the other thing is they employed good PR and deception. Most importantly, they limited the amount of error messages. You see, when someone's app crashes with an error. People start realizing there is an issue. What Apple did was just take them to the homescreen. So people think they just misclicked. Aka, by keeping the users ignorant, they can get away with a lot.

Even though you can't delete many of the stuff without root, you can still hide them or freeze them. End of the day, Android devices come with more space for cheaper. Not to mention average android app is 11.5mb, while average iOS app is 34.3mb. Aka, iOS apps are more bloated.

Android is also less outdated in terms of software than iOS. A lot of people seem to be confused about something. iOS bundles a lot of software with the OS, so you need a new OS to enjoy new features. Android does not. Even my 8 year old Android phone still continues to receive the most important updates of all, browser updates and all core app updates. And due to how customizable android is, most "new features" you get in OS upgrades can be gotten via another app. Ironically, the day most iOS users dread is software updates as things that worked before suddenly start breaking,

As for your last statement, Android used to allow moving apps to the SD card. But since many vendors bundled slow sd card readers or people bought crappy class 2 sd cards they stopped allowing people from moving the entire app to sd card. But you can still move the appdata to the sd card as long as the developer configured their app for it. Of course you can also format your SD card to EXT4, and mount it as a drive, then you can install apps to it directly.

Lastly, I am not sure what you mean by not being able to store music or photos on the sd card. I've never had a problem doing that.

a) iOS isn't that well made, if you looked when the earlier versions of source code was leaked. It was a terrible mess and poor programming. But that is kinda what happens when there isn't enough eyeballs to make sure everything is kosher. Not to mention as OSes grow, they become bloated trying to keep up with backward compatibility. But that is the same for all long running OSes.
    b) Most phones these days are pretty user friendly
    c) Apple's appstore is not strictly managed by Apple at all. Plenty of viruses, malware and poorly made code get in. All apple really checks for is if you aren't cheating them out of their money or breaking their policy
    d) Playstore is NOT open source. AOSP which is the Android OS is open source. Playstore is part of google services and is proprietary. The only thing to note is that Google charges only a 1 time $25 fee for developers. In comparison, Apple charges $99 annual fee. So the barrier of entry is lower.

Fp401, cutiebinkie and Blackflames123 like this.
  3. Daria_00

Daria_00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, quality of code can change over the years. Android was not user friendly at all at first, now it improved a lot, very much user friendly. But users are not gonna look at the code, as long as at works /kinda bad to say that :) /, but honestly IOS is so easy to use, it has great design, can't say its not user friendly.
    For PlayStore i mean it's more open, for developers point of view App Store can be pain in the ass :) and so much more expensive, on the other hand PlayStore is so much easier to launch their app.
    Overall why people choose Iphone, I would say when it first realized it was tech revolution so everybody started to use, then once you are in IOS you can't change it to Android, cause people hate changing things they are used to.
    Also, for Iphone, its IOS designed for its phone, so it works the best on its phone as designed. On the other hand Android being Google developed OS, designed for to suit for all phones which I would say doesn't work the best on all phones, for example Samsung phones add their apps on Android slows its performance. Pixel works best with Android XD for obvious reason.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  4. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I found android easier to use than iphones these days. Mostly because the back button is pretty darn useful. Convenient widgets and pinning is also useful.

Of course android used to be harder to navigate, but a lot of that had to do with the early days Google left the UI up to manufacturers as they preferred it that way every since the windows mobile days. And Android was in general made for more wide use cases.

But iOS can get really annoying for some basic stuff simply cause Apple doesn't want you out of their ecosystem. Like a basic thing like downloading a song on the internet via web browser.

That is also one reason yes.

Samsung is one of the few left who still use their own UX. While it is more bloated then the stock one, it also has more features. End of the day, modern phone performance is so high that the added bloat is virtually irrelevant.

Overall, since you compile android based on what features you need. You can most definitely have it tailored towards your phone. And most higher end ones do that. It's usually the low end ones that suffer.

To be honest, I've generally recommend people stay away from the pixel phones. Part of the reason is because they get android updates first. Which might sound like a good thing at first, but as I mentioned updates aren't as important for Android as they are iOS due to the apps being debundled from the OS. And what ends up happening? Just like with iOS updates, people find this or that app not working cause the devs aren't done with testing, or their patch got stuck due to some policy reasons. And of course being the tech savvy person, I always get stuck with the questions on how to fix it. This is why I tell them this: "Is your phone working fine? Do you really need something from the update? If not delay it for a few weeks. So if there is any issue, you would know about it in advance". But of course there will always be those who accidentally upgrade anyway.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  5. Daria_00

Daria_00 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I've generally recommend people stay away from the pixel phones. Part of the reason is because they get android updates first. Which might sound like a good thing at first, but as I mentioned updates aren't as important for Android as they are iOS due to the apps being debundled from the OS. And what ends up happening? Just like with iOS updates, people find this or that app not working cause the devs aren't done with testing, or their patch got stuck due to some policy reasons. And of course being the tech savvy person, I always get stuck with the questions on how to fix it. This is why I tell them this: "Is your phone working fine? Do you really need something from the update? If not delay it for a few weeks. So if there is any issue, you would know about it in advance". But of course there will always be those who accidentally upgrade anyway.[/QUOTE]

IOS upgrade can be deadly for both MAC and Iphone, recent BigSur causing overheating issue for Mac Pro /had to re-image to fix/, IOS upgrade always has some issue, always better to wait for some time for other people to test it out LOL.
    Can't answer which one is better, really depends on users' requirement, what they are going to use it for.
    I find tech people use Android more. I always find IOS design to be very pretty.

cutiebinkie likes this.
  6. leo.d.

leo.d. Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's nice and easy to use

cutiebinkie likes this.
  7. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    It has a better security system?

cutiebinkie likes this.
  8. shyja

shyja 『Seinen』『School life』『Sports』

Reading List:
    Link
    it kinda give off this "elite" vibe to it (i.e. pcmasterrace)

cutiebinkie likes this.
  9. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    I have an iPhone 6s from years ago now my old phone was a small Samsung the iPhone has a bigger screen so it’s better to read online and watch videos

cutiebinkie likes this.
  10. KhayDesu

KhayDesu ❀Rᴇᴀᴅιɴԍ Eɴтнusιᴀsт❀ | ★ᴅᴇsu~★ | ✿Loquᴀcιous✿『☕』

Reading List:
    Link
    I like both i like the security and performance of the Ios and i Love the freedom and customization offered by android

cutiebinkie likes this.
  11. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the Apple brand has existed for a long time accompanied with the status symbols of cool & elite. :blobpeek:

cutiebinkie likes this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    as other stated, brand followed by prestige.
    the only time this cat ever use apple product was Mac laptop, and nope bye bye back to Windows~ this cat not tech savy, considering this cat surrounded by Windows user yup not a chance Mac~ btw this cat hate win 10 display and interface on default if there a way to interface and display same as win 7 please tell this cat~

as for iphone, nope never use that~ for this cat need which just phone, browsing, some apps and stuff apple is overprice~

cutiebinkie likes this.
  13. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    Sheep

cutiebinkie likes this.