Why Are TV Shows based on Xianxia so bad in CGI?

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Wujigege, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Is it because it is too unrealistic to portray or just low budget? Or rather not outsourcing it to countries with better CGI?
    If you check the staff of Dragon Ball, you get a lot of Vietnamese for instance.
    Xuan Yuan Sword 3 is the only one that looked good and even that got complaints
    Martial Universe isn't as bad as the others(The Condor in Return of the Condor Hero 2006 was epicly bad) but it is not as good as Xuan Yuan Sword

2. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    Because making good CGI would be financially taxing for the companies filming those shows. China is in actuality better at using CGI compared to Japan. Good CGI costs a bunch, while bad CGI is cheap and comes as a result of expedition as they have a need to pump out weekly episodes.

Blitz, Cite, Gihn and 3 others like this.
  3. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    The power of imagination has yet to be witnessed through the inferior technological prowess of modern cgi.

Basically, you can't expect amazing if they can't possibly give you amazing now.

4. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just a China thing. Tbh, all Chinese tv shows with CGIs look out of place, though the story saves it I guess. Have yet to see any good cgi shows

Wujigege likes this.
  5. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Good cgi needs good software, knowledge practice experience and time.

Those things dont come cheap. Especially on tv series, the last part is impossible. Thats why shows like power ranger likes to repeat their special moves.

Wait in 5-10 years after raytracing and virtual technology develops further and becomes common in home pc. We will have tv shows with current movie cgi.

6. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan particularly like the CGI from Legend of Zu (2001) and that's as shianshia as shianshia can be, with the immortals meditating and cultivating their spirits for thousands of years and the elder having to fly into a higher realm to acquire the weapon with which to kill the great evil. Then Ekin Cheng had to stay behind and use his power to masquerade as the elder so that the other immortals didn't panic.

Haven't watched Legend of Zu Mountain (2015) serial yet. So can't say anything about that.

7. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    IMO, It should be low budget I guess, which would decide staff quality, and the result that they would make with that budget. If you want a movie with a great quality CGI, like The Avengers, you should take a look at their budget. There's another factor, each country have their own different standards when it comes to CGI, my country's movie CGI is so bad that could even change action into comedy.

I'm not sure though, I'm a bit ignorant about something like this

8. Hacalyhd

Hacalyhd Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just heard in a youtube video about it.
    While Hollywood is using CGI in pretty much anything from high end fantasy fights to the average cup of coffee, china never really ventured that way.
    Earlier this year there was a chinese movie called Asura that should change it, but it flopped at the Box office & got pulled by its producer to be edited again.
    They blame some chinese version of rotten tomatoes, while others say that they did not do enough marketing.
    One way or another, chinese CGI may change for the better in the upcomming future, but it'll take some time to catch up to american standards

9. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Made in China.

10. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    In the other places, i really like the xianxia costume design. The girl look so beautiful in that Hanfu

11. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    like what you mean, the effects of live actions or the 3d anime we been getting recently based on xianxia stuff? if the former i would say that yeah the good stuff is too expensive and would seem odd even if not because the actors prolly wont be able to capture a tenth of the awesomeness we imagine in our minds, not to mention they wont have the right looks either sometimes.

If the latter...well the animations for 3d xianxia novels usually arent great, yeah. Art can be weird too, or very bland or just repetitive in how characters resemble each other, but i dunno i dont really think its that bad in itself. Would be better if it was jap style 2d animations tho.

12. Yunchii

Yunchii Best Waifu - Tamamo-no-Mae

Reading List:
    Link
    There's few good xianxia movie with good CGI like Dragon Tiger Gate, A man called Hero, Storm Rider.

13. Zalpha

Zalpha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Creating computer-generated imagery (CGI) is hard work and many hours will go into just one scene. It takes thousands of hour to put together an animation. Basically time is money, even a huge amount of money will produce what we consider low quality and it is only because they worked with in their budget and allotted time.

14. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I would say "Made in China". But then again, let's be honest. If it was a Full-length movie, then you could call it bad in anyway you can. But if it was a series, then they could blame it on not enough time for each episode, so they had to "wing it" in anyway they could, which result in "Bad CG", the same problem with CN Novels which pump out chapters like a "factory machine".

15. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    BECAUSE MONEY.

what else would be the fucking reason?

16. Random lurker

Random lurker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    money is the problem
    just look at "the legend of jade sword"/desolate era
    the technique.... ah dammit

17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait a second. China is not some third world country. The budget for their TV shows has gotten ridiculous. They have the funds, my research is not up to date but the best animated and highest earning Chinese film at the time , Monster Hunt was animated by Chinese who had worked for Disney.
    They have the money just bad personnel.
    My point is why hire Chinese animators when you can hire Vietnamese who actually have experience building things like Dragon Ball.
    CGI is not cheap but it's not exactly expensive case in point : -Ajinn
    [​IMG]

18. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    You do realise that CGI and animation are two separate things, right?

Just because someone can draw an animation of Goku for cheap doesn't equate to being experienced in making a CGI version of him.

CGI has been incorporated to Anime multiple times and only some succeed in making it work. CGI is harder to incorporate and make use of successfully.

When expediting is made a priority and funding doesn't support a major project, then ofcourse you are presented with shows that look bad.

Talented personnel in CGI animation is expensive and the work is time consuming.

19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't seem to understand what I am saying

• I mentioned Dragon Ball to point out that staffing can be outsourced if they are not competent staff within the national borders
    • I mentioned Ajinn to show that CGI can actually look good
    The budget for Chinese shows are ridiculous

20. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I apologize as I seem to have misunderstood your point.

But outsourcing doesn't necessarily produce better results. And the budget for hiring competent personnel may be too much for some productions.

I don't know the budget these xianxia shows possess, but if it truly is "ridiculous", then I would presume that they either are incapable to succeed in incorporating CGI due to time constraints, quality of personnel or budget constraints in that specific area.

I don't think Xianxia shows or any tv show for that matter (except GoT) would squander tons of money on special effects.