Question Why Chinese authors are addicted to face slapping?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by bythos, Jul 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because slapping is more humiliating than punching.
    If I wanted to knock someone out then I'd punch em, but if I want to humiliate them in front of everyone I'd slap them.
    Since most of these stories are about power structures , wealth and social ladder. You see a lot of face slapping, you never see the MC face slap an opponent he respects , it's always some abusive young master of some sect , that's as vile as they get.

bythos likes this.
  2. bythos

bythos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That was one of the first CN novels that I extensively read and so it didn't feel forced but was repetitive as heck. Guess when it's just one it's still fine but when it's many it's just boring.

Tristan1412 likes this.
  3. bythos

bythos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am not blaming them only for this a part of it lies with the readers too, especially in the translated novel space( after reading all the answers). Gravitate more to more of instant satisfaction novels like a wham bam thankyou ma'am type novel, which amply satisfied by this trope.

I enjoy reading CN novels but the repetitions make it a chore and takes out all the enjoyment from the story.

4. HIMETAN

HIMETAN My English Sucks • I want good luck

Reading List:
    Link
    I think not just Chinese, even another country too, its just they didn't discribe it as face slapping..

c.decora likes this.
  5. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In europe they throw a glove in the other partys face or the ground , usually knights between 15th-16th century , sometimes later to signify a duel.

There are rumors of throwing a pummel of the sword(unscrewed) at the enemy as a sign of disrespect, but the validity of the act is questionable.
    It's meant to "End Him Rightly"

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    HIMETAN likes this.
  6. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it because face is a big part of chinese culture? With people caring about face, I think the natural conclusion is for lots of face slapping.

bythos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.